Shama on Gilbert: "Close observers of the program wonder if he will transfer"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shama on Gilbert: "Close observers of the program wonder if he will transfer"

per Shama:

Gophers sophomore guard Ahmad Gilbert averaged 17.6 points and 11 per game as a high school senior in Philadelphia but his success has been limited at Minnesota. He didn’t get on the court in 15 of Minnesota’s 18 conference games and played a total of six minutes. Close observers of the program wonder if he will transfer to another school.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Gophers sophomore guard Ahmad Gilbert averaged 17.6 points and 11 per game as a high school senior in Philadelphia but his success has been limited at Minnesota. He didn’t get on the court in 15 of Minnesota’s 18 conference games and played a total of six minutes. Close observers of the program wonder if he will transfer to another school.

Go Gophers!!

Close observers as well as anyone that has ever followed college sports ever. Given what we have already, and what we have coming in, if Gilbert wants to play anything more then minimal minutes he will have to transfer.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

While this is obvious I don't think it's fair of Shama to write a column like this. He might as well just say I think Gilbert sucks and Pitino should kick him to the curve.

It would be interesting to see what Pitino and Co. would do with an extra 2017 scholarship. I think we'd see some really intriguing grad transfer names since we'll be projected to have a big season.

I think so too. And honestly, I think it's in Gilbert's best interests perhaps too. If Buggs got a USC offer, what would Gilbert get? I think Gilbert's shown more.

I think so too. And honestly, I think it's in Gilbert's best interests perhaps too. If Buggs got a USC offer, what would Gilbert get? I think Gilbert's shown more.

When I haven't seen a good game from Gilbert ever. At least Buggs had athleticism and some freak plays plus the Iowa game.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on that. Buggs was more productive and had a much higher ceiling than Gilbert.

I give Gilbert credit for remaining positive despite lack of playing time. He seems like a really good kid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be interesting to see what Pitino and Co. would do with an extra 2017 scholarship. I think we'd see some really intriguing grad transfer names since we'll be projected to have a big season.

Another big, please. Won't need to score much. Defend, rebound.

JR's inability to integrate himself into the rotation has really caused us to have a short bench, which I hope doesn't come back to bite us in the BTT and NCAAs when games on short rest are the norm. If he doesn't have the ability to crack even the back part of the rotation then I hope he decides to transfer so we can get another player (a big, like SS says above) to stretch the rotation to a solid 10-11 players (joining Fitz and Jelly) next year.

On one hand we claim to want kids to value their education and the college experience. Then in the next breath fans advise anyone who isn't getting PT to leave to find a new school. We have no idea what is 'best' for Gilbert. He's likely a kid that will never play pro ball so the question is simply how much does he want to play for the next 2 years and if that desire to play more outweighs the other benefits he's receiving from being here.

On one hand we claim to want kids to value their education and the college experience. Then in the next breath fans advise anyone who isn't getting PT to leave to find a new school. We have no idea what is 'best' for Gilbert. He's likely a kid that will never play pro ball so the question is simply how much does he want to play for the next 2 years and if that desire to play more outweighs the other benefits he's receiving from being here.

I just hope if he leaves the decision is his and his only, it's bad for business to Crean kids out of the program long term. JR seems to have a positive attitude on the bench, sometimes guys like JR and Gaston are great for locker room chemistry and are the glue behind the scenes, not everything ccan be measured in a box score or an advanced statistic metric ehn it comes to winning.

I give Gilbert credit for remaining positive despite lack of playing time. He seems like a really good kid!

This. There is nothing to suggest he's miserable, but if he is, he's hiding it well.

The head-scratcher was the Nebraska game. It seemed like everyone played. Except him.

If Gilbert wants to transfer, that is his call. I don't think he is being forced out or that he will be forced out. Maybe he loves it here and wants to hang out for a couple years, wear some sick hoops gear and travel a bunch with his friends. If so, awesome. Graduate and be done with it. Kid seems to be a good teammate. I haven't read anything suggesting he is not well liked or a good teammate.

My thoughts are that if he ever wants more than 20/20/20 time (up by, down by, seconds remaining) he will have to get WAYYY better or transfer. Transferring seems more likely than a crazy jump in ability.

IF he does transfer, I'd like a big. I heard Jericho Sims is good?!?!?!

If Gilbert wants to transfer, that is his call. I don't think he is being forced out or that he will be forced out. Maybe he loves it here and wants to hang out for a couple years, wear some sick hoops gear and travel a bunch with his friends. If so, awesome. Graduate and be done with it. Kid seems to be a good teammate. I haven't read anything suggesting he is not well liked or a good teammate.

Agreed. Even in some of the post game locker room videos, he appears to be engaged and positive. He's not going to play in the NBA, so maybe he'd rather get a Minnesota education and be a part of a team that could be the best in the B1G next year. That might be a more attractive to him than dropping down to a smaller school just to get more playing time.

He's a glue guy. I don't want to see him leave, but I do think it would be nice to add a capable big as long as Fitz can contribute as a backup to Coffey (I have no idea). If Fitz cannot, then I want another wing player that can give us an option if Coffey regresses or gets injured.

My dad and I talk a lot about what guys think. He is a fan of the "I'd rather play at a smaller/lesser/lower division school than sit on the bench for Minnesota (or Duke or whomever)" where I am a "I want to be on the best team and would never pick a school for a sport, I'd pick it for everything else" type of guy.

It comes down to what Gilly (can this be his nickname?) wants. I hope he is extremely successful in whatever he does and speaks fondly of his time here, however long he is here.

Wait why if the Gophers picked up a grad transfer would we want another Big? Murphy, Lynch and Curry play most of those minutes and Konate is fine as a 4th big with 6-10 minutes per game.

Plus with the way is game is played, it's easier to play small than big. You can only play at most, two bigs at a time. You can play four guards if you want to be creative. Fitz (assuming he can give anything) can play up to a 4 spot. Depending on matchups you can play four of Mason/Dupree/Coffey/Washington/Fitz/*insert grad transfer wing. You can only do so much with 4 big men.

I'd rather add another wing to the mix. Another Akeem Springs if possible or even just a transfer who has two or more years of eligibility left who can play big minutes the following year. I don't want some useless big to play Konate minutes.

On Senior Night, I thought it was weird that Gilbert ran through and shook hands far far ahead of the team. Then he just ran back to the locker while the rest of the team was on the floor. It doesn't take Dr. Phil to see that the guy isn't happy here.

If Gilly was replaced by a grad transfer wouldn't that leave a 6th scholarship for 2018 or am I off a year?

If he does leave I hope he can go back home and find a way to play in the NCAAs and get a great education with either Lehigh, Drexel, St.Joes, Penn, Delaware, Delaware State or La Salle - all would be good fits. If replaced I'd like to see an experienced/trusted SG come to town. I'm fine whether he stays or goes, he appears to be a good team mate but if playing time is a priority he'll likely transfer.

Wait why if the Gophers picked up a grad transfer would we want another Big? Murphy, Lynch and Curry play most of those minutes and Konate is fine as a 4th big with 6-10 minutes per game.

Plus with the way is game is played, it's easier to play small than big. You can only play at most, two bigs at a time. You can play four guards if you want to be creative. Fitz (assuming he can give anything) can play up to a 4 spot. Depending on matchups you can play four of Mason/Dupree/Coffey/Washington/Fitz/*insert grad transfer wing. You can only do so much with 4 big men.

I'd rather add another wing to the mix. Another Akeem Springs if possible or even just a transfer who has two or more years of eligibility left who can play big minutes the following year. I don't want some useless big to play Konate minutes.

PG - Mason, Washington
SG - McBrayer, Harris
SF - Coffey, Hurt, Fitz

PF - Murphy, Curry
C - Lynch, Konate

If Murphy or Lynch go down with a serious injury I think we are in more trouble than if McBrayer or Coffey go down. I'd rather take my chances with some younger or smaller guys on the wing that have legit talent than have to rotate someone like Gaston against guys like Nick Ward and Ethan Happ.

On Senior Night, I thought it was weird that Gilbert ran through and shook hands far far ahead of the team. Then he just ran back to the locker while the rest of the team was on the floor. It doesn't take Dr. Phil to see that the guy isn't happy here.
I noticed that too. But why, we don't know. I also noticed one of the trainers followed him.

PG - Mason, Washington
SG - McBrayer, Harris
SF - Coffey, Hurt, Fitz

PF - Murphy, Curry
C - Lynch, Konate

If Murphy or Lynch go down with a serious injury I think we are in more trouble than if McBrayer or Coffey go down. I'd rather take my chances with some younger or smaller guys on the wing that have legit talent than have to rotate someone like Gaston against guys like Nick Ward and Ethan Happ.

Fair points, but I think it's more realistic to consider Fitz (whatever we can get out of him) as a 4 then a 3 next season. Especially considering the possible sapping of athleticism and lateral quickness after 2 ACL tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good shooter who would be very good and a starter at a mid major school. The problem for him here is that next year the bench only gets deeper at his slot.

Or if there is a sleeper Juco big out there like the kid Boucher..... who Pitino was a finalist for two years ago and has done well with Oregon, both scoring and on the boards. With the way this roster is, a good juco kid would be perfect and ease the pressure on Oturo his first year as well as help next year.

PG - Mason, Washington
SG - McBrayer, Harris
SF - Coffey, Hurt, Fitz

PF - Murphy, Curry
C - Lynch, Konate

Disagree.

If you add a wing, and a big goes down, you adopt full-time small ball. There's like three good bigs in the conference that give everyone trouble in guys like Ward, Happ and I suppose Haas. So yeah an injury would hurt. But again, it's easier to rotate six good perimeter players than it is four bigs because you can spread the six perimeter guys over four spots. The most you can play bigs at once is two of them. And with more teams opting to play traditional SFs in PF roles now, it gets harder and harder to play big.

Why? We already have another Big sitting on the bench on scholarship. His name is Gaston. Even last year when we were down to 5 scholarship players he hardly ever saw the floor. I don't understand his role or why he has not transferred. Again he seems like another great kid that does not complain, but if I was 6'10" and 245 pounds, I would want to be able to play somewhere.

Top Bottom