Shama on Gilbert: "Close observers of the program wonder if he will transfer"

On Senior Night, I thought it was weird that Gilbert ran through and shook hands far far ahead of the team. Then he just ran back to the locker while the rest of the team was on the floor. It doesn't take Dr. Phil to see that the guy isn't happy here.

Or maybe he had to poop.

Why? We already have another Big sitting on the bench on scholarship. His name is Gaston. Even last year when we were down to 5 scholarship players he hardly ever saw the floor. I don't understand his role or why he has not transferred. Again he seems like another great kid that does not complain, but if I was 6'10" and 245 pounds, I would want to be able to play somewhere.

Even if it meant giving up you scholarship?

If you were a grad transfer big, would you want to come here? Let's not pretend we have future HOF's at each spot but if you're a grad transfer, you want as much PT as you can get. You have a senior Lynch, and Murphy at the PF spot. Curry is playing a bit of both. Unless they have a tie here (Travis, though I don't know how interested he'd be nor am I sure if he would be eligible for the rule), I highly doubt a grad transfer big is looking at this as a great spot. I think you'd have much more luck going after an actual transfer who has to sit out a year. The selling point is getting to practice against some good bigs next year then with Konate and Lynch both gone the year after, they get to step right in. Easier said than done because just like coming out of HS, bigs are in high demand.

I think you'd have much better luck getting a grad transfer 2 guard this offseason. Nothing personal but the ideal offseason for me is no major departures, Gaston and Gilbert's scholarships off the books, we get a grad transfer off guard and a pure transfer big man.

If you were a grad transfer big, would you want to come here? Let's not pretend we have future HOF's at each spot but if you're a grad transfer, you want as much PT as you can get. You have a senior Lynch, and Murphy at the PF spot. Curry is playing a bit of both. Unless they have a tie here (Travis, though I don't know how interested he'd be nor am I sure if he would be eligible for the rule), I highly doubt a grad transfer big is looking at this as a great spot. I think you'd have much more luck going after an actual transfer who has to sit out a year. The selling point is getting to practice against some good bigs next year then with Konate and Lynch both gone the year after, they get to step right in. Easier said than done because just like coming out of HS, bigs are in high demand.

I think you'd have much better luck getting a grad transfer 2 guard this offseason. Nothing personal but the ideal offseason for me is no major departures, Gaston and Gilbert's scholarships off the books, we get a grad transfer off guard and a pure transfer big man.

Sometimes players transfer because they want to go to a winning team for their final year. Many grad transfers don't end up playing in the NBA.

It would give us 5 for sure. Could give us 6 depending on what Davonte Fitzgerald does.

I'm quite certain fitz is done after next year. The rules have changed and guys don't get med red after using a transfer redshirt.

If Gilbert goes, I would want a big transfer who has to sit a year and has 2 years of eligibility. That way they could practice next year and slide into the lineup in Otero's freshman year to help ease his transition into B1G play, or provide backup time behind Otero if he turns into a beast.

Plus, this would spread the scholarship out a little better.

Sometimes players transfer because they want to go to a winning team for their final year. Many grad transfers don't end up playing in the NBA.

Sure there are those cases but the majority end up choosing a place where they get as much PT as possible.

Sure there are those cases but the majority end up choosing a place where they get as much PT as possible.

Lol

Show me the source of this complete bs "fact"

Edit: I realized the convo now moved to all transfers. Was your statement based on grad or all transfers?

It's really quite impressive what Gophers have done this season basically with 4-6 unused/little impact scholarships:

Fitzgerald, Johnson (don't dress)

Diedhiou, Haugh (no impact)

Gilbert, Hurt (minimal impact)

Depth can't help but be a major step forward in 2017-18.

It's really quite impressive what Gophers have done this season basically with 4-6 unused/little impact scholarships:

Fitzgerald, Johnson (don't dress)

Diedhiou, Haugh (no impact)

Gilbert, Hurt (minimal impact)

Depth can't help but be a major step forward in 2017-18.

Johnson isn't against our traditional scholarship count if memory serves me right.

Close observers=a few random gopherholers with no real connection to the program

Not saying it wont happen, just what I think the source is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

My dad and I talk a lot about what guys think. He is a fan of the "I'd rather play at a smaller/lesser/lower division school than sit on the bench for Minnesota (or Duke or whomever)" where I am a "I want to be on the best team and would never pick a school for a sport, I'd pick it for everything else" type of guy.

It comes down to what Gilly (can this be his nickname?) wants. I hope he is extremely successful in whatever he does and speaks fondly of his time here, however long he is here.

I will go out on a limb and say most guys pick a school with athletics as their first priority. It's tough for a scholarship player to go to a school four years just to sit.

Fair points, but I think it's more realistic to consider Fitz (whatever we can get out of him) as a 4 then a 3 next season. Especially considering the possible sapping of athleticism and lateral quickness after 2 ACL tears.

We need a big more than any position. All of our bigs are foul prone and if a situation like the Wisconsin game happens where 3 bigs are in foul trouble I would not want Bakary getting crucial minutes

On Senior Night, I thought it was weird that Gilbert ran through and shook hands far far ahead of the team. Then he just ran back to the locker while the rest of the team was on the floor. It doesn't take Dr. Phil to see that the guy isn't happy here.

I was looking for him after the announcements at the end of the game, noticed he hadn't played but really didn't look for him on the bench, he definitely didn't stick around, my guess he is gone.

Even if it meant giving up you scholarship?

If I was 6'10" and 245 pounds, then yes, of course. I don't know him. Perhaps that degree is the most important thing to him and he does not see basketball in his future. If that is the case then more power to him.

What if Reid Travis Graduates this summer? Would he help on a 1 year rental?

I would be hesitant to pull the trigger since we already have Murphy.

What if Reid Travis Graduates this summer? Would he help on a 1 year rental?

I would be hesitant to pull the trigger since we already have Murphy.

Where are all these Reid Travis rumors coming from?

Where are all these Reid Travis rumors coming from?

Just what-if scenarios that are quite unlikely to happen. What if he graduates? What if he's interested in Minnesota? What if we have a scholarship open? I guess it's just wild speculation.

Pitino should kick him to the curve.

Gotta correct this before a whole generation of kids start thinking that's a phrase.

You don't kick kids to the curve. You kick them to the curb.

On with the thread.

Let's keep him. He can shoot

He can shoot, but Pitino is not going to be the one who sends him packing. The kid will make a decision based on whether or not he wants to play more. I'd guess he does.

We need a big more than any position. All of our bigs are foul prone and if a situation like the Wisconsin game happens where 3 bigs are in foul trouble I would not want Bakary getting crucial minutes

Yea, agree to disagree. I'm totally fine with Bakary/Fitz being the 4th and 5th options for a bigs next season.

With our backcourt depth we should be experimenting with some smaller lineups next season anyways.

Yea, agree to disagree. I'm totally fine with Bakary/Fitz being the 4th and 5th options for a bigs next season.

With our backcourt depth we should be experimenting with some smaller lineups next season anyways.

The post in the Big Ten will be much improve next year. Small ball will not be the best option and I have seen Fitz play at A & M and practice with us last year. If Bakary and Fitz get extended minutes for any reason our season will be in shambles. I think we need one more in case of injury or games where Curry/Lynch/Murphy are in foul trouble similar to our last game.

The post in the Big Ten will be much improve next year. Small ball will not be the best option and I have seen Fitz play at A & M and practice with us last year. If Bakary and Fitz get extended minutes for any reason our season will be in shambles. I think we need one more in case of injury or games where Curry/Lynch/Murphy are in foul trouble similar to our last game.

Small ball is always an option if done well. See Jay Wright and Villanova.

Top Bottom