STrib: Gophers, with Fleck fully in charge, get off to elite start for spring ball

Personally, I think Fleck will win here, that being said, I understand completely where you are coming from. This, obviously isn't your first rodeo on coaches. You have seen them come and go, all with various styles.

Various styles sure, but never with a culture change like this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Various styles sure, but never with a culture change like this one!

Totally normal for Rose Bowl goals to be laughed at, no culture change needed!

We've already seen that he can recruit at a level head and shoulders above past coaches we've seen here. We've already seen he can coach. What exactly aren't we all excited for? So he's more of a Tigger than an Eore. Are some of us so cynical and jaded, that we roll our eyes at genuine passion & zeal? Are we mired in a lack of hope for the ultimate goal, that springs from it juuuust slipping through our fingers time & again? Well I for one see hope. I see the true promise. Born, not only from a long overdue investment by the university but in the vision, passion & untiring tenacity of a coach who's going to, I believe, show us all what elite truly means.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We've already seen that he can recruit at a level head and shoulders above past coaches we've seen here. We've already seen he can coach. What exactly aren't we all excited for? So he's more of a Tigger than an Eore. <b>Are some of us so cynical and jaded, that we roll our eyes at genuine passion & zeal? </b>Are we mired in a lack of hope for the ultimate goal, that springs from it juuuust slipping through our fingers time & again? Well I for one see hope. I see the true promise. Born, not only from a long overdue investment by the university but in the vision, passion & untiring tenacity of a coach who's going to, I believe, show us all what elite truly means.

Some of us are way more cynical than that. In that spirit, you might want to hold off on that "head and shoulders above" comment for just a bit. If it is all about rankings then he hasn't reached Brew level yet. If it is about more than rankings, let's get to at least the Spring game before we crown him.

If he wins it will be exciting stuff. If not it will get eyes rolls. Simple as that. Win games.

We've already seen that he can recruit at a level head and shoulders above past coaches we've seen here. We've already seen he can coach. What exactly aren't we all excited for? So he's more of a Tigger than an Eore. Are some of us so cynical and jaded, that we roll our eyes at genuine passion & zeal? Are we mired in a lack of hope for the ultimate goal, that springs from it juuuust slipping through our fingers time & again? Well I for one see hope. I see the true promise. Born, not only from a long overdue investment by the university but in the vision, passion & untiring tenacity of a coach who's going to, I believe, show us all what elite truly means.

On paper, his recruiting isn't any better than Brewster's during his first full class. He hasn't shown us anything. He hasn't coached a game yet. Calm down with the textual fellatio.

On paper, his recruiting isn't any better than Brewster's during his first full class. He hasn't shown us anything. He hasn't coached a game yet. Calm down with the textual fellatio.
Ya, I'm sure he got to the bowl he did last year by accident...

If he wins it will be exciting stuff. If not it will get eyes rolls. Simple as that. Win games.

From a fans perspective, I agree XMan. Winning programs have a deep pool of talent, are well coached and well prepared. Fleck did accomplish that so his system can work, at least at WMU. So did Coach Kill.

This culture thing is interesting off season stuff to read, ponder and comment about. That's about it for me. But its all about the players and how effective Fleck's system is to maximizing each player's potential and overall development as an athlete, student and individual.

Culture things mainly benefit the players who eat, drink and sleep football and are directly affected by what the coach and staff will do to help them. I'm sure most head coaches truly care about their players and will do what is necessary to assure they succeed.

Time will tell whether Fleck can win big and often at Minnesota.

Message is the same for many

So have I. Heard many of them speak. They are all trying to accomplish the same thing and that is to win as many football games as possible. Some are just like PJ (some successful and some not) and some are the complete opposite of PJ(some successful and some not). Neither method is better than the other.

I, for the most part, like what PJF is doing. Biggest plus I have seen so far is that the media is treating the Gophers with more positive coverage than at anytime during the Claeys tenure.

For many competent successful coaches the message is the same. It's how they deliver the message that makes them unique. You can't focus on everything...every coach has chosen points of emphasis.
Swingman's post from Jerry 2011 illustrated the similarities. You get what you emphasize as a coach. How you emphasize it is according to your personality and beliefs. Players know PJ has passion...he adds massive energy. Players knew Jerry Kill had passion...he added intensity. Players knew Tony Dungy had passion...he instilled the quiet, reverent, conviction of his beliefs to inspire his players to perform.

It comes down to how good you are at getting the players to buy in, to believe, to love and trust one another. To motivate them individually. To breathe confidence into each individual. The difference is recognizing you can't coach them all the same. How do you reach each player...how to push each guys buttons. No better example than Jordan Murphy Gopher basketball...first half of the season...absolutely contributed next to nothing statistically. (Those of you who think there is no talent...listen up) Richard Pitino sat down with Jordan and had a heart to heart. Stop whining about post touches. Stop whining about not getting enough shots or plays run for you. It's not who you are. You are a relentless rebounder. Focus on dominating the boards, attacking the basket and dunking. The result: from he doesn't even look like a college basketball player to AVERAGING double doubles in scoring in rebounding and the team winning.
So, the messages to the team are similar every where by coaches. They all build people for life. The difference in how your team performs is not only what you emphasize to them...it really comes down to can you light a fire under each individual to perform? Can you collectively get them all to buy in? PJ's way can work for sure but so can Paul Chryst who puts you to sleep listening to him describing how happy he is they just won with a last second field goal. Doesn't matter how coaches do it...do the players themselves believe? Can you get them to perform on game day? (Nobody could reach Mitch in 2016..we saw it was in there to get out of him to perform in the bowl game versus Central Michigan...he was phenomenal...24 for 30 with drops. Never came close to re-creating that performance all of the 9-4 2016 season...that's coaching. That's one guy...there are 120 candidates to whisper to)

Really...by what measurement do you draw that conclusion? Offers?

From a fans perspective, I agree XMan. Winning programs have a deep pool of talent, are well coached and well prepared. Fleck did accomplish that so his system can work, at least at WMU. So did Coach Kill.

This culture thing is interesting off season stuff to read, ponder and comment about. That's about it for me. But its all about the players and how effective Fleck's system is to maximizing each player's potential and overall development as an athlete, student and individual.

Culture things mainly benefit the players who eat, drink and sleep football and are directly affected by what the coach and staff will do to help them. I'm sure most head coaches truly care about their players and will do what is necessary to assure they succeed.

Time will tell whether Fleck can win big and often at Minnesota.

Agree. Great post, thanks.

I didn't realize that he coached Minnesota to a bowl game last year. Thanks for the info!
The discussion is about the coach. Talking about his resume is appropriate.

Top Bottom