College Basketball News’ Minnesota All-State team -McKinley Wright Player of the Year

Chris Monter

Reaction score
The senior class dominated the College Basketball News’ All-State team by making up the three of the five members. There is one sophomore and one junior on the first team.

My choice for College Basketball News’ Minnesota Player of the YearMinnesota Player of the YearPOY , McKinley Wright, has helped lead Champlin Park to an undefeated 26-0 mark. The Dayton signee is averaging 22.8 points, 8.2 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game. Wright scored in double figures in all but one game. He had a season high 46 points versus DeLaSalle. Wright also had one game of more than 30 points and 17 other games of 20 or more points. Champlin Park faces Irondale (5-21) Wednesday.

Brad Davison has helped lead Maple Grove to a 24-2 record as the Crimson won the final nine games of the regular season. The Wisconsin signee is averaging 24.9 points, 7.4 rebounds and 7.9 assists per game. Davison scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had two games of more than 40 points, including a season high 43 points versus Robbinsdale Cooper. Davison also had five other games of 30 or more points and 12 other games of 20 or more points. Maple Grove faces Moorhead (3-22) Tuesday.

Nathan Reuvers has helped lead Lakeville North to a 24-2 record. The Wisconsin signee is averaging 25.0 points and 12.2 rebounds per game. Reuvers scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had a season high 36 points versus Woodbury. He has eight games of more than 30 points and 13 other games of 20 or more points. Lakeville North faces Rochester Mayo (3-23) Wednesday.

Matthew Hurt has helped lead Rochester John Marshall to an 23-3 record, winning their last 20 games. The sophomore is averaging 29.1 points, 9.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2.1 steals and 3.7 blocked shots per game for the Rockets. Hurt scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had a season high 47 points versus Rochester Century with tw other games of 40 points. He has eleven other games of more than 30 points and 10 other games of 20 or more points. Rochester John Marshall faces Farmington (8-18) Wednesday.

Tre Jones has helped lead Apple Valley to a 24-2 mark. The junior is averaging 23.4 points, 10.1 rebounds and 7.5 assists per game. Jones scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had a season high 48 points versus Rosemount, a school record. He has five games of more than 30 points and 12 other games of 20 or more points. Jones is shooting 55% from the field, 39.1% from three-point range and 79.6 from the line. Apple Valley faces Henry Sibley (5-21) Tuesday.

The senior class dominated the College Basketball News’ All-State team by making up the three of the five members. There is one sophomore and one junior on the first team.

My choice for College Basketball News’ Minnesota Player of the YearMinnesota Player of the YearPOY , McKinley Wright[/B........

Am I missing something, isn't Oturu a part of this mix, all the talk of what he can do?

lists

No Oturu's team isn't winning enough and he isn't scoring enough to be on this team. Maybe 2nd team. Minnesota basketball is top notch over the next few years anyway. Sims a top 50 recruit is going to Texas, is a senior, and isn't on this list either.

Am I missing something, isn't Oturu a part of this mix, all the talk of what he can do?

Reuvers and Hurt are just better players right now. That's no slight, a lot of talent in MN right now.

why hasn't Pitino signed any of those players??

three 4 stars and we didn't get even one.

Man let's stop this already our team is pretty good now and we have 2 Minnesota kids getting significant minutes. Just trust in what Pitino is doing this. We missed on Reid Travis I don't think we miss his play because we brought in Jordan Murphy instead.

three 4 stars and we didn't get even one.

We did get a 4 star, his name is Isaiah Washington, and he is rated higher than both PGs listed (Davidson and Wright). Would you have preferred Pitino to sign a lower rated PG instead?
Reuvers I'm afraid will end up being a miss, he looks like a pretty solid stretch 4. It seemed like Gophs put all their eggs into Sims basket and missed. Oh well, we have a solid front court next year with Lynch, Murph, and Curry, and can hopefully add another big besides Oturu in 2018 class.

Man let's stop this already our team is pretty good now and we have 2 Minnesota kids getting significant minutes. Just trust in what Pitino is doing this. We missed on Reid Travis I don't think we miss his play because we brought in Jordan Murphy instead.

No doubt Murphy was a great get; I hope we get Tre and Hurt in the future.

We did get a 4 star, his name is Isaiah Washington, and he is rated higher than both PGs listed (Davidson and Wright). Would you have preferred Pitino to sign a lower rated PG instead?
Reuvers I'm afraid will end up being a miss, he looks like a pretty solid stretch 4. It seemed like Gophs put all their eggs into Sims basket and missed. Oh well, we have a solid front court next year with Lynch, Murph, and Curry, and can hopefully add another big besides Oturu in 2018 class.

Four stars from our state. Yes, the most recent recruits look strong and we should be a team to watch, nationally, next year.

Exactly I don't get the infatuation with we got get local guys. I can see if we haven't been recruiting well nationally be Pitino actually has with our last 2 classes.

why hasn't Pitino signed any of those players??

Yeah, why didn't we say no to Isaiah Washington and take a worse player instead? And why haven't we signed the two underclassmen who aren't allowed to sign anywhere yet?

Yeah, why didn't we say no to Isaiah Washington and take a worse player instead? And why haven't we signed the two underclassmen who aren't allowed to sign anywhere yet?

If we aren't illegally signing kids, why bother? Fire Pitino for not having a signed commitment from these kids who are not able to sign. Then hire someone who will break more rules and fill their gas tank.

Just get ready, folks. Davison is a typical Wisconsin player, as is Reuvers, so they'll probably both be pretty good for them. Doesn't mean they would have fit here though. I'm confident that we won't regret Washington over Davison. He fits our style much better.

Just get ready, folks. Davison is a typical Wisconsin player, as is Reuvers, so they'll probably both be pretty good for them. Doesn't mean they would have fit here though. I'm confident that we won't regret Washington over Davison. He fits our style much better.
AI was the next great stretch big man for Wisconsin. Now Badger fans are hoping he transfers.

Yea the AI debacle is strange - looks like we dodged a bullet so far, he could go all Frank Kaminsky on us ... However, it would not shock me if Reuvers and Davidson are contributors next year. Both look pretty darn solid.

Yea the AI debacle is strange - looks like we dodged a bullet so far, he could go all Frank Kaminsky on us ... However, it would not shock me if Reuvers and Davidson are contributors next year. Both look pretty darn solid.

They both won't but Davidson is more likely than Reuvers. People are overhypering Reuvers a bit. He is a good player but most bigs take a year or so before they reach their potential at the college level

What are Washington's averages this year? Isn't his competition considered better than Minnesota High School?

I could see Davidson coming off the bench. I assume Trice, Pritzel, Iverson will all be starters next year. Has Reuvers put on any weight from last year? Haven't seen him play since he committed to Wisconsin. I think he will be dangerous once he gets a big ten ready body, but he may need a couple years to develop.

I could see Davidson coming off the bench. I assume Trice, Pritzel, Iverson will all be starters next year. Has Reuvers put on any weight from last year? Haven't seen him play since he committed to Wisconsin. I think he will be dangerous once he gets a big ten ready body, but he may need a couple years to develop.

He hasn't put much weight on and that's the Wisconsin way. Develop their big guys and let them loose as juniors & seniors

Watched Davison play against our local High School. Scored at will against a decent team with 3's and very good at getting to the basket. I think he ended with over 30. Was very bummed to see he signed with Badgers.

Davidson has a nice game, would have preferred to not have him go to WI. That said, give me Washington any day of the week.

I've been an advocate for recruiting Davison for a few years now; I think that's gonna turn out to be a big miss.
IDK much about Reuvers.

But it would be very great to land one or both of the underclassmen Tre and Hurt...
Pitino better start giving the Hurt bro some PT.

From what everyone is saying, Davison and Reuters both have lots of potential. But is was their decision to choose Wisconsin over MN. Hopefully with the excitement around this year, despite losing twice to the Badgers, we turn things around and stop losing our in state talent to Wisconsin.

But we need to be realistic, WI has been to the NCAA tourney 18 years in a row and 2 recent Final Fours. That's pretty damn impressive despite my hatred for their program. Our day will come when their in state players choose to go to MN. Just keep winning!

Lastly, is Davison projected as a shooting guard? Curious as to why all the comparisons to Washington if that is the case.

From what everyone is saying, Davison and Reuters both have lots of potential. But is was their decision to choose Wisconsin over MN. Hopefully with the excitement around this year, despite losing twice to the Badgers, we turn things around and stop losing our in state talent to Wisconsin.

But we need to be realistic, WI has been to the NCAA tourney 18 years in a row and 2 recent Final Fours. That's pretty damn impressive despite my hatred for their program. Our day will come when their in state players choose to go to MN. Just keep winning!

Lastly, is Davison projected as a shooting guard? Curious as to why all the comparisons to Washington if that is the case.

Ryan James said awhile back that the staff dropped contact with Davison for quite awhile, and, for some reason, offered him a scholarship late, after they were likely aware that he was going to commit to Wisconsin. It seemed like it was gonna be either Isaiah Washington or McKinley Wright for us. We had an offer out to Reuvers, but he committed when Theo John was still on the board, who I think was one of our earliest 2017 offers.

Wisconsin seems to recruit more regionally than we do, and they seem to prioritize their Minnesota targets more than we do our Wisconsin targets. From what I can tell, 9 of their 13 scholarship players are from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, or Ohio, and their 2017 class contains 2 Minnesota kids and 1 Wisconsin kid, with another Wisconsin kid committed for 2018. The Wisconsin kids that we've offered semi-recently are Matt Thomas, Nick Fuller, Sandy Cohen, Riley LaChance, Jordan McCabe, Wally Ellenson, Henry Ellenson, Terrance Lewis, and Bronson Koenig. Wow, after looking it up, it seems we've offered more Wisconsin kids than I'd realized, but only one of those guys, Koenig, ended up at Wisconsin, and I'm not sure if the Badgers even offered any of the others except Henry Ellenson, and I think only 3 of those were Pitino offers, not sure how hard Pitino pursued Henry Ellenson. I think Wisconsin has offered 7 Minnesota kids in the same time frame, and got 4 (Reuvers, Davison, Illikainen, Dearring (no Gopher offer, has since transferred)), and missed 3 (Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey, Rashad Vaughn). It also looks like Wisconsin just doesn't put out as many offers as we do. Maybe they set their sights on a small handful of usually local/regional kids and pursue them hard.

247, Rivals, and Scout all have Davison as a point guard, but he's 6'3" and supposed to be a good shooter, so I'd guess he could play off the ball some.

I personally would much rather have Washington than Davison. Davison doesn't really fit the style that Pitino wants to play. He's high IQ, steady and a good shooter but he's very slow and methodical - a Wisconsin Badgers type player. I think Jelly's quickness and ability to move the ball in transition really fit the Gophers much better. Plus, Jelly is really bringing a national brand recognition that has a surprising amount of pull among high school kids right now. He is going to get our program all over Espn and not for the bad reasons, which always helps with recruiting. Davison just wouldn't move the needle for our program in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always find it strange though that some people prefer to sign with a direct rival than with us. Obviously loyalty is out of the question and they are seeking something.

Always find it strange though that some people prefer to sign with a direct rival than with us. Obviously loyalty is out of the question and they are seeking something.

I always find this strange that people think loyalty exists in high school. Of my HS graduating class something like 10-20 people went to madison for undergrad. Are they equally unloyal or do they just want to be a little farther away from home for college?

I always find this strange that people think loyalty exists in high school. Of my HS graduating class something like 10-20 people went to madison for undergrad. Are they equally unloyal or do they just want to be a little farther away from home for college?

+1

Top Bottom