Big Ten Coach of the Year - RICHARD PITINO!!!!

He would've been out of a job had he gone 2-16 at Michigan St., and thus wouldn't have had the opportunity to win the award this year.

Tom Crean won it last year with a 7 spot improvement in his standings. He also won the league so that doesn't really hold apples to apples.

Now I'm pulling for Collins to win national COY to demonstrate the absurdity of it.

Tom Crean won it last year with a 7 spot improvement in his standings. He also won the league so that doesn't really hold apples to apples.

Not really sure what that has to do with my post, but thanks for the info.

The honors keep rolling in.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not really sure what that has to do with my post, but thanks for the info.

Sorry I didn't explain it. You don't have to go 2-16 to jump 8 spots in the standings. You said Pitino would have been fired at Michigan state for going 2-16. Indiana would ave similar expectations to Michigan state and as Crean showed its possible to improve 8ish spots in the standings without having such a bad record as 2-16.

Sorry I didn't explain it. You don't have to go 2-16 to jump 8 spots in the standings. You said Pitino would have been fired at Michigan state for going 2-16. Indiana would ave similar expectations to Michigan state and as Crean showed its possible to improve 8ish spots in the standings without having such a bad record as 2-16.

I said that Pitino would've been fired for Michigan St. for going 2-16, and he absolutely would've. Expectations relative to the school's current and historical standing are important factors when evaluating a coach's performance. Collins taking Northwestern to the NCAA Tournament is a big deal. Oh, and at Michigan St. he wouldn't have the opportunity to finish 8 spots ahead of where he was projected, because Michigan St. would never be projected to finish 9th.

I said that Pitino would've been fired for Michigan St. for going 2-16, and he absolutely would've. Expectations relative to the school's current and historical standing are important factors when evaluating a coach's performance. Collins taking Northwestern to the NCAA Tournament is a big deal. Oh, and at Michigan St. he wouldn't have the opportunity to finish 8 spots ahead of where he was projected, because Michigan St. would never be projected to finish 9th.

Michigan State has had 2 coaches in ~40 years. Making broad assumptions about what they would or wouldn't do seems silly.

Has anyone else noticed that fans of other B1G teams really don't like Pitino? I was just looking through a few other team's message boards and there is a consistent theme where people think he is a whiner or obnoxious, or they just have a general dislike for him.

Its strange to me because I think he's one of the most likable coaches we've ever had. He's a great interview, very candid, funny, and seems like a guy I would hang out with. He's not obnoxious on the sidelines, he'll work the refs a little bit, but nothing like some others in this league. The only coaches I dislike in the league right now are McCaffrey and Crean. Why is Pitino getting lumped in with the disliked coaches of the B1G?

I think it's all based on him being young and the son of a not so popular coach. There's this stigma that he's been handed everything, so he must be this obnoxious kid coach.

What are other people's thoughts? Would I hate him if he were coaching a team like Purdue, Northwestern or Illinois? Is it my maroon and gold glasses, or is Pitino the solid character I think he is?

Has anyone else noticed that fans of other B1G teams really don't like Pitino? I was just looking through a few other team's message boards and there is a consistent theme where people think he is a whiner or obnoxious, or they just have a general dislike for him.

Its strange to me because I think he's one of the most likable coaches we've ever had. He's a great interview, very candid, funny, and seems like a guy I would hang out with. He's not obnoxious on the sidelines, he'll work the refs a little bit, but nothing like some others in this league. The only coaches I dislike in the league right now are McCaffrey and Crean. Why is Pitino getting lumped in with the disliked coaches of the B1G?

I think it's all based on him being young and the son of a not so popular coach. There's this stigma that he's been handed everything, so he must be this obnoxious kid coach.

What are other people's thoughts? Would I hate him if he were coaching a team like Purdue, Northwestern or Illinois? Is it my maroon and gold glasses, or is Pitino the solid character I think he is?

Yes you are correct! Add in that they are just jealous.

It seems most don't know anything about him, other than that he is Rick Pitino's son. So if they don't like Rick, they just automatically don't like Richard. They essentially act as if they are the same person.

Has anyone else noticed that fans of other B1G teams really don't like Pitino?

I have noticed this too. My take on possible reasons:

1) Negative association with his Dad. That he got the job because of his name (partially true) and that some of the unsavory things (adultery) are a chain he has to wear around his neck too, unfairly. People are judging his character even though they don't know him.

2) He's young and successful and hasn't "earned his stripes" yet. There is a tad big of jealousy in there. Fans are starting to realize we have a good thing going.

3) His in-game demeanor comes off as whiny. Two-thirds of the coaches in the B1G are the same way if we really think about it. Think about some of the crazy antics of Crean, Izzo, or how Bo Ryan used to be. That's basketball.

4) I think half of his in-game outbursts are actually directed at his players but casual fans think he's just whining to the refs constantly.

5) Casual fans of other programs don't see the "behind the scenes" stuff that actually show he's funny, genuine, and likes to "dish it out". He's very real and one of the best personalities in basketball.

I have noticed this too. My take on possible reasons:

1) Negative association with his Dad. That he got the job because of his name (partially true) and that some of the unsavory things (adultery) are a chain he has to wear around his neck too, unfairly. People are judging his character even though they don't know him.

2) He's young and successful and hasn't "earned his stripes" yet. There is a tad big of jealousy in there. Fans are starting to realize we have a good thing going.

3) His in-game demeanor comes off as whiny. Two-thirds of the coaches in the B1G are the same way if we really think about it. Think about some of the crazy antics of Crean, Izzo, or how Bo Ryan used to be. That's basketball.

4) I think half of his in-game outbursts are actually directed at his players but casual fans think he's just whining to the refs constantly.

5) Casual fans of other programs don't see the "behind the scenes" stuff that actually show he's funny, genuine, and likes to "dish it out". He's very real and one of the best personalities in basketball.

The bolded is a big one - particularly with other coaches who rightly feel that they've paid their dues but this kid hasn't. Bo Ryan pretty much came out and said so explicitly in Richard's first year.

Top Bottom