Knowing What They Do Now, Would Reid Travis Make a Different Decision? Would Pitino?

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
Because who doesn't love a fun, completely unsolvable hypothetical? When Reid Travis committed to Stanford in 2014 that program was coming off a Sweet 16 appearance and Johnny Dawkins was a hot coach. But in Reid's three years there his only post-season experience was winning the NIT his freshman year (they haven't finished over .500 since), Dawkins was fired and Travis has had a host of injuries. I wonder if he sees the season the Gophers are having (with the potential for an even better one next year) and has any regrets about his selecting Stanford over staying home and attending the U? Of course he will have a Stanford degree, which played a big part in his decision, but success on the basketball side of things has been decidedly lacking (in fairness, so did ours during his first 2 seasons).

On the other side, knowing the players he has now and the chemistry of this year's team, and Reid's productivity level that's been below what you'd expect of a McDonald's All-American, would Pitino take him? If Reid had signed with us who wouldn't have come here? Murph? Curry? Reggie? And what would that have done to the makeup of this year's team? Of course, unless Reid and Richard are posting here it will be all speculation and conjecture, but who cares, that's what we do best here on GH. It's fun to think about.

If I remember correctly Reid wanted to come here, but his parents wanted Stanford for the education. Who knows, maybe he would have stayed healthy, maybe not. If I had to guess one of Konate or Diedrou would not be here, I think Curry would still have come, I believe him and Coffey had formed a friendship and wanted to play together. Maybe we don't recruit Murphy, or maybe Fitz doesn't transfer here, there has been a lot of roster movement under Pitino for various reasons. With that said I would definitely take him, Travis is a very good player when healthy and I like I said who knows how that aspect of it plays out elsewhere. But I think he is feeling good about getting a free Stanford Education!

The thing i notices when watching on Stanford game this year it looks like Reid put on a lot of weight and it really took away a lot his athleticism.

Pure basketball speculation (not taking Stanford degree into account), yes I am sure he has thought about it. Gophers are having a great season and have the potential to make a deep run this month while Stanford sucks.

What about the hypothetical of Shaka Smart coming here? Not doing well at Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's been Stanford's best player this year. I think we likely wouldn't have recruited Jordan Murphy if we had Reid. But its a hypothetical so lets just say that they don't recruit Gaston that year and still grab Jordan the next year. Lets also just assume Reid stays healthy. Last year a frontline of Reid/Murphy is a huge improvement though still no shotblocking. My guess is they're better the last 2 years. That said if we're talking a straight up Reid for Murphy swap its tougher. I do think Reid is a better player right now than Jordan as they do very similar things. Its a tough call though because I don't know if Reid makes a drastic difference this year, especially when Murph is playing as well as he has been of late.

The thing i notices when watching on Stanford game this year it looks like Reid put on a lot of weight and it really took away a lot his athleticism.

Well he's averaging 17.2 PPG and 8.8 RPG, so he must be doing alright.

You'd still take him if you're Pitino, but I can't imagine Murphy coming here if he's on the roster.

reid is good player but he can go to conzumel for spring break.

jordan is a good player, but his spring break will be in in the ncaa tournament.

One thing to think about: If Reid comes here I'm guessing we're not the trash we were last year. Not good, but not historically bad. If that happens do we then get Sims or John this year?

I'm sure Reid is alright waking up in Palo Alto, CA every morning during the winter. Being an undersized PF, he was always gong to be a long shot to make the NBA, so why not set yourself up after basketball with a Stanford degree?

From a Gophers perspective, it was a no brainer to want him then, and still a no brainer to want him today.

With all of his injuries, is he going to get an extra year? Potential grad transfer?

Edit: Never mind, I now see he finished the season. I thought I had heard he was out for the year earlier this season.

I'm sure Reid is alright waking up in Palo Alto, CA every morning during the winter. Being an undersized PF, he was always gong to be a long shot to make the NBA, so why not set yourself up after basketball with a Stanford degree?

From a Gophers perspective, it was a no brainer to want him then, and still a no brainer to want him today.
Don't forget TONS of guys make extremely good livings playing overseas for years. Tons of guys are in Europe, Asia, South America making 6 figures for 8-12 years

I don't like the way the young man handled himself, but a player could do worse than getting a Stanford degree, and waking up every day on that campus. I'm pretty happy with what we have now. Whether or not I'd take Reid on this team, I certainly wouldn't trade programs with Stanford right now, and that makes me happy.

Love it when players think green pastures are other places. So sad he hasn't made the tournament. Lol

Not gonna knock the kid for getting a Stanford education - could always use another athletic wing type player, would be great if he grad transferred home.

Well he's averaging 17.2 PPG and 8.8 RPG, so he must be doing alright.

Wasn't meant to be a knock although granted it looks like it. The thing that really impressed me when he was in highschool was his ability to run up and down the court and use his athleticism. Granted I've only watched part of two games of his at Stanford but they primarily use him as a back to the basket low post guy where I envisioned him being used much differently in college. Like you pointed it clearly has worked just fine for him from a stats perspective.

Can we just run with this hypthetical Gaston/Gilbert transfer out Reid transfer in scenerio. That is sexy as hell and gets my blood boiling.

I don't care how unlikely it is, lets just run with it.

Can we just run with this hypthetical Gaston/Gilbert transfer out Reid transfer in scenerio. That is sexy as hell and gets my blood boiling.

Oh, it's happening sweetheart!! :cool:

Wasn't meant to be a knock although granted it looks like it. The thing that really impressed me when he was in highschool was his ability to run up and down the court and use his athleticism. Granted I've only watched part of two games of his at Stanford but they primarily use him as a back to the basket low post guy where I envisioned him being used much differently in college. Like you pointed it clearly has worked just fine for him from a stats perspective.

I was also surprised at how he's essentially turned into a pure PF. He flashed a lot more outside game with the ability to handle the ball in HS.

I dont know about that... Guy is built like a brick ****house and still extreamly athletic.

To the other poster, I believe the story was he was torn, his dad wanted him to stay home, mom wanted Stanford. I wish him the best either way. But IF he transfered back, I'd be estatic.

I have sources inside the Travis family, and am told the plan for him all along was to get his Stanford degree then transfer back here, and lead us to a national championship!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Am also told that they will be having a homecoming party and will get Skylar Grey to preform "Coming Home" like she did for Lebron when he decided to go back to Cleveland.

I don't like the way the young man handled himself, but a player could do worse than getting a Stanford degree, and waking up every day on that campus. I'm pretty happy with what we have now. Whether or not I'd take Reid on this team, I certainly wouldn't trade programs with Stanford right now, and that makes me happy.
jmag21, I don't get your need to cheapshot a fine young man, without explanation, who has always handled himself with class and dignity throughout his life and athletic career. I have known Reid and his wonderful family since he used to cut my grass as a polite, quiet 7th grader. Reid and his parents have always emphasized academics so I was not surprised when he accepted a basketball scholarship to one of the greatest universities in the world(#1or 2 in USA) which also has a great athletic program year after year.
17.2 PPG, 8.8 RPG, a Stanford Education, the Gophers have a great basketball season.

EVERYBODY WINS! GO GOPHERS!!! BTW, REID WILL BE A HUGE SUCCESS WHATEVER HE CHOOSES TO DO IN THE FUTURE. :)

jmag21, I don't get your need to cheapshot a fine young man, without explanation, who has always handled himself with class and dignity throughout his life and athletic career. I have known Reid and his wonderful family since he used to cut my grass as a polite, quiet 7th grader. Reid and his parents have always emphasized academics so I was not surprised when he accepted a basketball scholarship to one of the greatest universities in the world(#1or 2 in USA) which also has a great athletic program year after year.
17.2 PPG, 8.8 RPG, a Stanford Education, the Gophers have a great basketball season.

EVERYBODY WINS! GO GOPHERS!!! BTW, REID WILL BE A HUGE SUCCESS WHATEVER HE CHOOSES TO DO IN THE FUTURE. :)

Let me clarify. I didn't like how he handled his decision. I don't begrudge any young man the right to pick the school of their choice but I think the specific way he went about it was unduly inflammatory and disrespectful. I wasn't making any generalized claims about his character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have info that he's graduating early? Just finished his junior season, no?

Top Bottom