Myrick posts a 4.29 40

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jalen-myrick?id=2558140

Had a less than glowing scouting report prior to the combine...

I'd take that report with a large grain of salt. One of the criticisms is that he doesn't turn his head, which is what he was coached to do. Same as Murray & BBC.

It's summary said he has the skills to stick around the league as a back-up, but needs to get better to make a mark in the league. Not exactly trashing the kid, imo.

It's been a while, but I believe Myrick was ranked the top CB in the B1G his Junior year until he got hurt? Granted his Sr season wasn't as good as his Jr season, but he certainly didn't have a "bad" Sr season. B1G success doesn't always mean much at the NFL level, where they're looking for different things. People laughed when I said De'Vondre Campbell would play in the league. I said that early on when many were hating him, because you could just look at his size/speed & know his game would translate better to the NFL than it did to the B1G. On that same note, I said Myrick would play in the league back when he was a Freshman and still maintain he's got much more NFL potential than Murray or BBC due to his speed. He's not a finished product & certainly comes off as immature at times, but the NFL is happy to work with immature CB's who can run a 4.28 @ 200lbs.

Possibly another Preposterous Statement contender...

+1000
Also don't think his game is a lot like Sherels. Sherels is a great natural catcher of the football when it comes to returning punts, and he's much more of a finesse player.

I think Myrick will have a much better chance of being a regular defensive player with his speed and physicality.

It's been a while, but I believe Myrick was ranked the top CB in the B1G his Junior year until he got hurt? Granted his Sr season wasn't as good as his Jr season, but he certainly didn't have a "bad" Sr season. B1G success doesn't always mean much at the NFL level, where they're looking for different things. People laughed when I said De'Vondre Campbell would play in the league. I said that early on when many were hating him, because you could just look at his size/speed & know his game would translate better to the NFL than it did to the B1G. On that same note, I said Myrick would play in the league back when he was a Freshman and still maintain he's got much more NFL potential than Murray or BBC due to his speed. He's not a finished product & certainly comes off as immature at times, but the NFL is happy to work with immature CB's who can run a 4.28 @ 200lbs.

I was one of the Campbell doubters. For the record you were right and I still don't get it. Apparently you can make a living as a linebacker chasing guys down from behind. Still waiting to see him consistently tackle guys heads up.

According to pro football Focus:

Opposing quarterbacks are having a hard time figuring out Minnesota cornerback Jalen Myrick. When throwing at him, they combine for a total passer rating of 22.8. That is the lowest opposing rating in the country among qualified cornerbacks. Myrick has allowed a total of 14 receptions on 181 snaps through six games. His combined grade for the season is +14.7. One of the quarterbacks that tested Myrick this year was TCU stud Trevone Boykin.

The Georgia native is making a name for himself in a Minnesota defensive backfield that already boasts two NFL prospects in Eric Murray and Briean Boddy-Calhoun. Nebraska quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr (+3.9) will get the next shot at Myrick on Saturday in Minneapolis.

Still super late rounds. Myrick is fast but that's about it when talking about his pro prospects. He isn't exactly the best corner out there. Credit to him for running that 40 today cause him absolutely blazing during that is his chance to get drafted and not be a UDFA

Perhaps, but with this 40 time along with his ball-out game in the bowl game against great odds and
a terrific passing team will sit in the back of scouts minds... He might go 3rd or even 2nd round
considering some situations..

This is the kind of player the Patriots pick up in the late rounds and mold into a solid player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the kind of player the Patriots pick up in the late rounds and mold into a solid player.

G-d I hope not. I don't like having any reason to feel conflicted about hating the Patriots.

Perhaps, but with this 40 time along with his ball-out game in the bowl game against great odds and
a terrific passing team will sit in the back of scouts minds... He might go 3rd or even 2nd round
considering some situations..

2nd or 3rd round? No way. He's been projected in rounds 5-7 for awhile now.

The 40 time is impressive, but scouts were least concerned about that. Everyone already knew his best attribute was his speed.

2nd or 3rd round? No way. He's been projected in rounds 5-7 for awhile now.

The 40 time is impressive, but scouts were least concerned about that. Everyone already knew his best attribute was his speed.

Which scouts have you talked to today?

I'd take that report with a large grain of salt. One of the criticisms is that he doesn't turn his head, which is what he was coached to do. Same as Murray & BBC.

It's summary said he has the skills to stick around the league as a back-up, but needs to get better to make a mark in the league. Not exactly trashing the kid, imo.

Thank you for making that point. I've brought that up with friends and others countless times. Most times I receive blank stares or statements like they must suck if they can't turn their heads from said individuals.

Either the Kill staff could discover and recruit athletes and turn them into football players or the strength and conditioning staff couldn't have been as deplorable as some say. Myrick is the fastest of all the DB's at the combine. Leidner excelled among all quarterbacks in measurables...broad jump, cones, vertical. So, how much of the actual football culture really needed to change? The Gophers who got drafted the last couple years also did well at the combine.
I'm just saying next year's guys who go to the combine have some lofty standards to uphold.

This is why the combine is such a joke and a lot of top NFL people put minimal stock in it. For the most part they are just using the combine to find reasons not to take guys with high picks, but every year there are always a few organizations that fall in love with some kind of workout warrior. Myrick ran really fast...great...doesn't change the fact that he is an average at best DB. Some people fall so in love with speed yet the difference between a 4.28 and 4.4 is the blink of an eye. I always go back to Barber and Marony, Maroney got the first round draft pick and all of that mostly because he was fast. Barber on the other hand goes in the 4th round. Both were outstanding college backs but if I had been building a team at the time I would have taken Barber in a heartbeat over Maroney because he was the far more complete RB even if he lacked that top end speed.

You mentioned Leidner doing well in measurables...pretty much tells you all you need to know about the measurables. Leidner is a good guy and I hope he catches on somewhere but he is not an NFL QB and I will be shocked if he ever rises to anything above backup/emergency fill in.

For Myrick's sake I hope his speed caught someone's eye and gets him more guaranteed money at the end of the day. I just really hope that team is not the Vikings.

This is why the combine is such a joke and a lot of top NFL people put minimal stock in it. For the most part they are just using the combine to find reasons not to take guys with high picks, but every year there are always a few organizations that fall in love with some kind of workout warrior. Myrick ran really fast...great...doesn't change the fact that he is an average at best DB. Some people fall so in love with speed yet the difference between a 4.28 and 4.4 is the blink of an eye. I always go back to Barber and Marony, Maroney got the first round draft pick and all of that mostly because he was fast. Barber on the other hand goes in the 4th round. Both were outstanding college backs but if I had been building a team at the time I would have taken Barber in a heartbeat over Maroney because he was the far more complete RB even if he lacked that top end speed.

You mentioned Leidner doing well in measurables...pretty much tells you all you need to know about the measurables. Leidner is a good guy and I hope he catches on somewhere but he is not an NFL QB and I will be shocked if he ever rises to anything above backup/emergency fill in.

For Myrick's sake I hope his speed caught someone's eye and gets him more guaranteed money at the end of the day. I just really hope that team is not the Vikings.

I know some people put too much stock into the combine, but if you think it is a complete joke and measurables don't tell you anything, then I assume you've never heard of Danielle Hunter. He had 4.5 sacks in his 3 year career at LSU, 1.5 of which came in his last season there. He put up absurd numbers at the combine, which caught the eye of the Vikings, so they took him in the 4th round. He ended up getting 6 sacks his rookie year and improved that to 12.5 last season. He has been extremely impressive, and if it weren't for the combine, the Vikings never would have drafted him when they did.

Yeah, some guys stock skyrockets after the combine and others tank. Myrick definitely made some money yesterday but I don't know that Travis helped himself. His numbers were sub-par, he looked less athletic and coordinated in drills than the others, and doesn't have that impressive physique. He was a great safety for us --it was a little strange to see. Didn't run a 40 - is he hurt or nursing an injury? He's a case where it seems the numbers don't really apply as much, instincts and knowledge can make up for lack of athleticism, or vice versa.

I know some people put too much stock into the combine, but if you think it is a complete joke and measurables don't tell you anything, then I assume you've never heard of Danielle Hunter. He had 4.5 sacks in his 3 year career at LSU, 1.5 of which came in his last season there. He put up absurd numbers at the combine, which caught the eye of the Vikings, so they took him in the 4th round. He ended up getting 6 sacks his rookie year and improved that to 12.5 last season. He has been extremely impressive, and if it weren't for the combine, the Vikings never would have drafted him when they did.

I am sure every year you can find examples of the under the radar guys that jump out, just like you can find examples of guys like Troy Williamson who run a 4.32 and get drafted #7 overall even though they did next to nothing on the field in college.

I am sure there is some value to the combine or teams wouldn't even bother showing up but it gets way overblown by some people in terms of importance. Mostly it is a made for TV event to give football fans a fix and give the network something to cover leading into the draft.

I will still contend though that teams use combine numbers as a reason not to draft guys more than they use them to move guys up their draft board.

Your remark about T. Williamson reminds me of Darrius Heyward-Bey. 4.30 40 time but mediocre receiver in college. Seventh overall pick, just like Williamson. Nobody in their right minds takes those two in the first round. But...these are NFL people. Matt Millen. Al Davis. Need I say more?

Myrick will NOT go in the first round or the second but I'll be somewhat surprised if Myrick gets past round 4 or 5. He has enough ability as a corner and flashed at times as a KR, thick bodied, someone will take a chance on him.

I am sure every year you can find examples of the under the radar guys that jump out, just like you can find examples of guys like Troy Williamson who run a 4.32 and get drafted #7 overall even though they did next to nothing on the field in college.

I am sure there is some value to the combine or teams wouldn't even bother showing up but it gets way overblown by some people in terms of importance. Mostly it is a made for TV event to give football fans a fix and give the network something to cover leading into the draft.

I will still contend though that teams use combine numbers as a reason not to draft guys more than they use them to move guys up their draft board.

Agreed. Just making the point that it isn't entirely worthless.

Not that I disagree with much of your argument. But all other things being equal the difference between a 4.28 cb and a 4.4 cb is a yard at 40 yards- all a WR needs to be open in this league.

Not that I disagree with much of your argument. But all other things being equal the difference between a 4.28 cb and a 4.4 cb is a yard at 40 yards- all a WR needs to be open in this league.

That would be true if both guys were starting at the same spot and running the same direction the entire way. In almost all cases the DB is at least a few yards back and backpedaling at the start of the play. If anything on a DB I would think they would put far more stock in tests that show how quick a guy can change direction and accelerate as opposed to straight line speed over a distance of 40 yards.

The biggest thing the combine probably provides is a tie-breaker system for teams to use. If they have player A and player B that they like and feel are very similar on film then they can go to the combine numbers to see which one of them preformed better or has better measurables.

There is always value in the numbers and I am sure some teams put more stock in it then others but overall the combine has become an event more geared towards fans then GMs.

Top Bottom