What grade would you give the Gophers basketball 2016-2017 regular season?

• A

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • B

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• F

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Lost twice to two teams they are as good as or better than (including their arch rival). Can't give them an A. B+

Can't give an A as they didn't win the title or beat Wisconsin in the end. Solid B or B+ is good. Last year was perhaps a D. Big jump.

Considering last year and the expectations for this year, this year has to get an A

Can't give an A as they didn't win the title or beat Wisconsin in the end. Solid B or B+ is good. Last year was perhaps a D. Big jump.

I pray we NEVER see your F from a Gopher squad if last year was a D

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pray we NEVER see your F from a Gopher squad if last year was a D
LOL! I did think about it and went with the D. I would have to agree with you on this. I'll admit this blunder.

Anyone who doesn't give this season an A had unrealistic expectations, IMO.

So only the champion is worthy of an A - glad you weren't my biochem professor!

Considering the state of the Gopher basketball program prior to 16/17 there is no way you can give them something other than an A.

If you gave them a B, please provide proof that that you predicted they would be better than this in the preseason

last year was a huge F in every way on and off the court. This year is a success . For a program that seldom gets to the tourney why would anyone give less than a A

Considering the state of the Gopher basketball program prior to 16/17 there is no way you can give them something other than an A.

If you gave them a B, please provide proof that that you predicted they would be better than this in the preseason

I gave them an a but I'm not a big enough blowhard to think it can only be viewed that way.

If they simply met my expectations I'd give it a c.

Last year was NOT an F. Team was in transition from being Tubby's leftovers to Pitino's new crew. Pitino's new crew were still very young and his 1st recruiting class was his worst, so winning more games than we did maybe shouldn't have been expected? Tubby's leftovers were honestly, not very good as a whole, which was partly Tubby's fault as he did not do a good job of coaching any of his players up.

Team came very close a lot of times, persevered and then ended on a sort of high note. The team's efforts and perseverance alone are worth a passing grade. And Pitino, did pretty good recruiting, in spite of not having decent facilities, yet, and in spite of his doing worse than the year before.

My father was a phy ed teacher, and he had a simple philosophy, which benefitted my gangly weak non-athletic best friend. My father tested everyone at the beginning of the quarter, # of pushups they could do, # of sit ups, etc., and then he tested them again at the end of the quarter, and he graded students on whether or not he felt they made an effort during the year and if they improved at all. He also gave quizzes and such, but he made it possible for my non-athletic friend to have the ability to get an A in phy-ed if he wanted the A badly enough. My point? That grading a rag tag mixture of players, some from an old coach who didn't recruit well, others from a young new coach still growing into his position, and going up against B1G Conf opponents, as if they have to win all their games to get an A, is unreasonable.

So I'd give last year's team either a D+ or a C- a better than just passing grade, for effort and perseverance and for Pitinos improving recruiting. And had this year's team gone 7-11 in conference, they would have earned a C+, if 9-9 in conference, I would have given them a B, but 11-7 deserves an A-.

They flashed a graphic during the game showing the pre-season projections, 10 teams listed and Gophers weren't even on the list so to finish in the #4 spot to me deserves an A or A-. Disappointing as tonights game was this was still a great regular season considering where expectations were.

Obviously this season could have gone better, like if we had won all of our close games, but this season was, by our standards pretty damn good.

1. We have a winning regular season conference record for the first time in over a decade.
2. We have a winning conference road record for the first time since...idk the 1980's? I don't think we've even won 4 conference road games in a season in over a decade, much less 5.
3. We beat Michigan, which we haven't done since 2011, breaking a 9 game losing streak to them, and giving Pitino a win over every team in the Big Ten.
4. We beat Purdue in Mackey, which we haven't done since 2005.
5. We beat Illinois in Assembly Hall, which we've only done, like 4 times since the 1970's.

We got some monkeys off our back this year. I would have been close to giving an A if we had gone 9-9 and gotten an 11 seed in the tournament, so for 11-7, a double bye in the Big Ten tournament, and an NCAA tourney lock, I'll give this season an A. The best regular season since I started watching in 2007 when Tubby took over. Wisconsin is losing 4 starters and doesn't seem to have much of a bench, so hopefully we'll get the better of them next year.

Expectations were fairly low. The Gophers didn't just exceed those expectations.......they shot the moon. 11-7 Big Ten record isn't amazing by any means.....but considering where we were at....and where we are now......I think an "A" grade is justified. This was on course for another throw away season.....with many looking at an NIT bid as the best case scenario. Now....the Gophers are looking like a team that could take down anyone considering the weapons we have.

I gave a B. Was torn between an A and B. B+ is probably what is appropriate. Great season but I expected them to be 9-9 in the conference after attending a few preseason games. Got that and more.

As a student who strived for Cs, I'm glad the team worked for more

I gave a B. Was torn between an A and B. B+ is probably what is appropriate. Great season but I expected them to be 9-9 in the conference after attending a few preseason games. Got that and more.

As a student who strived for Cs, I'm glad the team worked for more
I'd say B+. Very solid, but actually could have been better

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I went with an "A" though my actual grade would be an A-. Unlike many on the board, I never bought in to the idea that this team had a ceiling of 7-11 in conference play this year. I'd give them an A for their road work and a B/B+ for their work at home during their conference season. My biggest disappointment of the year was the number of large halftime leads that turned in to losses. This is an "A" year for me at 12-6 with a win over Wisconsin or maybe just 12-6 with holding the lead at home over MSU or Maryland.

The good news is, I still believe this team has the ability to turn their season grade in to an "A".

A=far exceeded, B=exceeded, C=met, D=did not meet, F=far below.

Last year F due to scandal. D with no off court issue.

This year, A. Again in my mind A is not perfection, but performance vs expectation.

After last year, no question it is an A. Next year though the A will require an even better record.

I give them an Asian F, A-.

Lost too many close games to get an A, but to go from being picked to finish 13th to 4th is beyond my expectations.

Last year was NOT an F. Team was in transition from being Tubby's leftovers to Pitino's new crew. Pitino's new crew were still very young and his 1st recruiting class was his worst, so winning more games than we did maybe shouldn't have been expected? Tubby's leftovers were honestly, not very good as a whole, which was partly Tubby's fault as he did not do a good job of coaching any of his players up.

Team came very close a lot of times, persevered and then ended on a sort of high note. The team's efforts and perseverance alone are worth a passing grade. And Pitino, did pretty good recruiting, in spite of not having decent facilities, yet, and in spite of his doing worse than the year before.

My father was a phy ed teacher, and he had a simple philosophy, which benefitted my gangly weak non-athletic best friend. My father tested everyone at the beginning of the quarter, # of pushups they could do, # of sit ups, etc., and then he tested them again at the end of the quarter, and he graded students on whether or not he felt they made an effort during the year and if they improved at all. He also gave quizzes and such, but he made it possible for my non-athletic friend to have the ability to get an A in phy-ed if he wanted the A badly enough. My point? That grading a rag tag mixture of players, some from an old coach who didn't recruit well, others from a young new coach still growing into his position, and going up against B1G Conf opponents, as if they have to win all their games to get an A, is unreasonable.

So I'd give last year's team either a D+ or a C- a better than just passing grade, for effort and perseverance and for Pitinos improving recruiting. And had this year's team gone 7-11 in conference, they would have earned a C+, if 9-9 in conference, I would have given them a B, but 11-7 deserves an A-.

The only holdover from the Tubby era on last year's team was Buggs. Richard gets all of the blame for last year--no Tubby excuses. He also gets all of the coaching credit for this year. I give him an A.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A solid A- from me(considering expectations and the road wins). An A would have included a win over Wisconsin(and a 12-6 or better record) and an A+ would be a big ten championship.

its the difference between a 90% on a test, a 95% and a 100% in my mind.

It will be an A+ I had them pegged for 8-10 and the NIT and I thought that would have been a success. We are one win from tripling our wins from last year, we increased our conference win record by nine, had a winning road record in conference and beat three teams in conference on the road who are going dancing, including Purdue, the conference champ, and Maryland who also got a double bye. Based on what went down last year and what was expected this year, these guys blew their expectations out of the water and when you go above and beyond, passed anyone's expectations, how can it be anything less than an A+. I'll admit, to get an A+ next year they'll have t bring home a big ten title, but for this year this was an A+ effort.

We finished fourth in the Big ten after finishing 13th a year ago. Enough said.

A+ from where everyone predicted them to finish and where they sit now. This is outstanding even use homer fans no one had them at 4. I saw a 6th was the best from our own fans.

Top Bottom