McKinley Wright is College Basketball News' Metro Player of the Year

Chris Monter

Reaction score
The graduating Class of 2017 is one of the best groups in recent memory with 17 players signing with Division I schools in the early signing period and several others who will make their choice in April.

The senior class dominated the College Basketball News’ All-Metro first team by making up the three of the five members.

My choice for College Basketball News’ Metro Player of the Year, McKinley Wright, has helped lead Champlin Park to an undefeated 26-0 mark. The Dayton signee is averaging 22.8 points, 8.2 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game. Wright scored in double figures in all but one game. He had a season high 46 points versus DeLaSalle. Wright also had one game of more than 30 points and 17 other games of 20 or more points. Champlin Park faces Irondale (5-21) Wednesday.

Brad Davison has helped lead Maple Grove to a 24-2 record as the Crimson won the final nine games of the regular season. The Wisconsin signee is averaging 24.9 points, 7.4 rebounds and 7.9 assists per game. Davison scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had two games of more than 40 points, including a season high 43 points versus Robbinsdale Cooper. Davison also had five other games of 30 or more points and 12 other games of 20 or more points. Maple Grove faces Moorhead (3-22) Tuesday.

Nathan Reuvers
has helped lead Lakeville North to a 24-2 record. The Wisconsin signee is averaging 25.0 points and 12.2 rebounds per game. Reuvers scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had a season high 36 points versus Woodbury. He has eight games of more than 30 points and 13 other games of 20 or more points. Lakeville North faces Rochester Mayo (3-23) Wednesday.

Daniel Oturu has helped lead Cretin-Derham Hall to an 18-8 record. Oturu is averaging 19.6 points, 16.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.5 steals and 6.3 blocked shots per game for the Raiders. The Minnesota commit scored in double figures in all but one games with 12 games of 20 or more points, including a season-best 33 points versus Woodbury. Oturu has grabbed double figure rebounds in every game but two with five games of 20 or more rebounds, including a season-high 26 versus St. Paul Central. Cretin-Derham Hall faces Henry Sibley (17-9) Wednesday.

Tre Jones has helped lead Apple Valley to a 24-2 mark. The junior is averaging 23.4 points, 10.1 rebounds and 7.5 assists per game. Jones scored in double figures in all 26 games. He had a season high 48 points versus Rosemount, a school record. He has five games of more than 30 points and 12 other games of 20 or more points. Jones is shooting 55% from the field, 39.1% from three-point range and 79.6 from the line. Apple Valley faces Henry Sibley (5-21) Tuesday.

wright was at the last gopher game. He got a little bit of stick from some gophers staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to his coaches, Wright wanted to be a Gopher. When Washington committed he chose to go elsewhere due to a potential lack of PT and scholarship.

Might be a kid who transfers back or something. I have no ill will towards him. Fun to watch.

According to his coaches, Wright wanted to be a Gopher. When Washington committed he chose to go elsewhere due to a potential lack of PT and scholarship.

Might be a kid who transfers back or something. I have no ill will towards him. Fun to watch.

I think he knows that he screwed up when he didn't commit on his visit when he had the chance. Who knows, if Archie Miller leaves, I could see him transferring back at some point, but for now I think he is in a great situation, will play for a really god coach at a good program, NCAA tourneys are in his future

Wright got bad advice and waited waaay too long. Had Xavier and ISU offers along with Gophers. Think Dayton is a good fit because it's a good team but who knows how long Archie Miller stays there. I'd assume if he leaves, that throws everything through a loop.

Wright's a good player. Good all around player. Glad Gophers got Washington though if only because local people are like cattle and only want local players for some strange reason.

Washington will be terrific, but would be nice to have Wright in the fold. He scores in so many different ways, so he's a load to defend.

Top Bottom