Thank you for a great season! Let's keep this season rolling!(RANT)

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of losing to Wisconsin... but I am more sick and tired of this lazy argument by losers on this board(Rupert, Ewert ect.) who act like the sky is falling just because of one bad half by this team.

For all the true fans, here is 11 great great things about this team...

1.Mason looks like a star who will big an all big ten player this year and next year
2.Amir Coffey looks like a star who will stick around at least two years, Curry looks very good as well
3. We won 2, yes 2 games last year. This year, we won 11. One of the greatest turnarounds in the history of NCAA basketball.
4.We finished with the best big ten tourney seed in program history.
5.The barn is back
6.Only Spring graduates(he has been important but has been awful the last few games)
7.The sophomores Mcbrayer and Murphy look like players who will be fantastic in their next two years
8.Isiah Washington looks like a great recruit, Harris looks pretty damn good too.
9. We beat two very good teams on the road this year in Purdue and Maryland
10.We have Oturu committed for 2018 and likely Race Thompson as well . It also looks somewhat likely we get the other top MN recruits
11. WE MADE THE DANCE THIS YEAR(For the first time since 2013)

Bottom line, tonight was not fun. We lost. It hurts, but if you are really a fan of this program and have the ability to see the big picture, you would know that this program is on the rise and only better things await.

I watched this team all of last year, and if you really can not be happy with how this season has played out, you need to kindly F-yourself and remove yourself from this board.

Agree with almost all of this. Been an excellent season despite the mess in Madison.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Hope Harris is the 3 point threat we need next year. Springs must be hurting - we are so much better with his 3 point shooting.

12. And a coaching staff that can recruit and put talent on the floor.

What a fun season this was and is!! So much progress in one season!

It's just 1 game. We went 11-6 and got the 4 seed.

Now we've been humbled again. Time to get angry and win some basketball game.

Hope Harris is the 3 point threat we need next year. Springs must be hurting - we are so much better with his 3 point shooting.

That is the biggest concern that I have with this team. If Springs is hurting and can't play his game, we really need Murphy to play well. If both don't have it, we're in deep do-do.

Coffey needs to shoot more from outside. He is good on the jab step 3s, especially when a big man switches on to him from that weird weave they run

I agree with almost all of this. It's painful to lose to Wisconsin and I really wanted to be able to say the Gophers finished in 2nd place. My only minor quibbles are that the 2 wins last year is overstated because of the injury/transfer/suspensions...95% of the teams in America lose every game they play if they are don't have a scholarship guard to play and our down 5 of their 6 most productive players...and that I think Springs is a little more important, we will miss his body type on defense as we don't have another strong guard to take his place.

The overall message is right on point though. We (as fans, players, coaches) can wallow in this loss and let it effect the rest of the season or we can learn from it and do some big things. A Big Ten tournament Title is achievable. A Sweet 16 is achievable. Do either of those things and today will be a distant memory.

My guess is that Pitino will pick up one or two players during the postseason recruiting period. I'm sure one of them will be a shooter.

I predict Harris to be a better 3 point threat than Springs. He's thought of as one of the best 3 point shooters in the country and Akeem's shot goes in against all odds (his shot has almost no rotation). Harris is undersized and small so it's a big step down from Akeem defensively. He will also be nowhere near the leader that Keem is. I think he'll be better at spacing the floor offensively, though.

I'd say we beat three good teams on the road. Northwestern has The Coach of the Year, so they must be a good team. Seriously, they are a tourney team and that's a good road win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say we beat three good teams on the road. Northwestern has The Coach of the Year, so they must be a good team. Seriously, they are a tourney team and that's a good road win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get Collins getting coach of the year he only improved 2 wins in the BIG over last year and that can largely be explained by only playing Purdue twice of the teams above them. I'd vote for Pitino for the turnaround(+15 in wins over last year) or for Painter for the championship.

I don't get Collins getting coach of the year he only improved 2 wins in the BIG over last year and that can largely be explained by only playing Purdue twice of the teams above them. I'd vote for Pitino for the turnaround(+15 in wins over last year) or for Painter for the championship.

That and if you look at the standings we played Purdue once on the road, sconnie, sparty, and Maryland twice and NW once on the road, our conference schedule was as tough as it gets

I agree - we have to see the big picture here. Sure, any loss to the BADgers hurts. They played a very poor half. And our 8-game win streak fell hard.

But if you'd have been given the chance to take 23-8 overall, 11-7 B1G, #20 RPI, #4 seed/double bye in the BTT before the season started, any logical person would have grabbed it happily. I sure would have. Anyone who disagrees and says they wouldn't haven taken it simply isn't thinking realistically.

We're playing with house money for the rest of the season. This team already has achieved some of the loftiest predictions and possibilities offered for it before the season started. Anything more is icing on the cake. That's not to say it won't be a bummer if they don't achieve more...it just shouldn't overshadow all of the progress they've made, and all of the legit momentum we have to be excited about heading into next season.

Let's enjoy it for what it is, while we can.

I agree - we have to see the big picture here. Sure, any loss to the BADgers hurts. They played a very poor half. And our 8-game win streak fell hard.

But if you'd have been given the chance to take 23-8 overall, 11-7 B1G, #20 RPI, #4 seed/double bye in the BTT before the season started, any logical person would have grabbed it happily. I sure would have. Anyone who disagrees and says they wouldn't haven taken it simply isn't thinking realistically.

We're playing with house money for the rest of the season. This team already has achieved some of the loftiest predictions and possibilities offered for it before the season started. Anything more is icing on the cake. That's not to say it won't be a bummer if they don't achieve more...it just shouldn't overshadow all of the progress they've made, and all of the legit momentum we have to be excited about heading into next season.

Let's enjoy it for what it is, while we can.

Great post! Amazing season. Tremendously excited for future of the program. You can't win every game. Hoping for tourney success!

Great post.

As far as 3 point shooting next year I think we'll be fine. Mason, Coffey and Harris will all be above average. Mason has a chance to have a Trey Burke type of season next year(Conference player of the year) Hurt has potential to be great spot shooter. Dupree is already a pretty good outside shooter and appears to have work ethic to get better. Washington may be a better outside shooter then expected. I think either Murphy or Curry develops into respectable outside shooters. Maybe even both of them.

The biggest improvement I want to see next year is ball protection. If this team can average less than 8 turnovers or less a game next year they likely win the Big Ten.

Coffey needs to shoot more from outside. He is good on the jab step 3s, especially when a big man switches on to him from that weird weave they run

He is, though he has kind of a slow shot, so he needs more time/room than most.

great season, still got work to do.

A solid season in what looks to be a sub-standard B1G Ten year. A fantastic first step to where the program should be. 0-4 against arch-rivals and annual bogey teams (MSU, WISC) puts a bad taste of "same old, same old" in the mouth. I understand the big turnaround puts some gloss on it. I think with Mason, Lynch, Murphy, Springs, Dupree, & Coffey, we knew we were in for a pretty solid (& Pitino job-saving) turnaround this season.

We've been here before with football and basketball: on the verge of something special, but will the program fall short of potential? Pessimism rightly has the high ground based on the last 20 years.

Any one of the top 13 seeds in a region can make an NCAA run. Why not us this year?

Top Bottom