Nebraska began spring drills Saturday

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Two really good passing QBs, one a transfer from Tulane. New DC is young and has maniacal energy. They will be formidable the next few years, maybe more so than Wisconsin, though they lost a lot of talent to graduation. De'Mornay Pierson-El is back as a wide receiver, punt returner.

Two really good passing QBs, one a transfer from Tulane. New DC is young and has maniacal energy. They will be formidable the next few years, maybe more so than Wisconsin, though they lost a lot of talent to graduation. De'Mornay Pierson-El is back as a wide receiver, punt returner.

Huskers lose top two rushers Newby (880 yards) and Armstrong (510 yards).

Huskers lose starting QB Armstrong and backup Fyfe. Riley said none of candidates stands out and expect a starter to be named possibly in late August. The Tulane guy, Tanner Lee, was 52% accuracy in two yrs with Green Wave. Had 23 tds and 21 ints. Cethan Carter, graduating te was at NFL combine and was asked about the rs frosh, OBrien.
“I mean, if he was that good, he would’ve played,” said Carter, who’s scheduled to run at Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday. “If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have played. If he was good, he would’ve played. That’s all I can say on that.”

In addition to losing NFL talent Cethan Carter, Nebraska loses number 1 rcvr Westerkamp (526 yards). Lose total of five who were in their top 8 including Alonzo Moore, Brandon Reilly and Sam Cotton. The WR coach is under house arrest for his third dui. They were hoping for Keyshawn Johnson kid who enrolled early to maybe help, but Riley says he has been sick since mid December and out at least a few more weeks.

Defense loses NFL talent safety Nathan Gerry, lb Banderas, and lb Rose Ivey. They were Huskers top three tacklers. Dline loses best run stopper Kevin Maurice and leading sacks and tfl guy Ross Dzuris. Riley fired his lifelong buddy as def coordinator. Three new defensive coaches and a new 3-4 scheme need to be integrated.

Oline group loses starting center but returns a lot.

Nebraska draws Ohio State, at Penn State and Rutgers. Non con is At Oregon, NIU, and Arky State. Arky State was 8-5. Similar match up as MTSU. Oregon and NIU are both down, but both probably more talented rosters than Oregon State and Buffalo. Gophs get Nebraska at home.

Nebraska still shell shocked, confidence wavering after Late season ass kickings by Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee.

Diaco is 45, not exactly young. He brought in Elliot out of semi retirement to assist him. Riley and Eliot could both start collecting social security next year. Three new coaches in total. Also, player personnel guy left to join Brennan's new staff at San Jose as qb coach.

Huskers lose top two rushers Newby (880 yards) and Armstrong (510 yards).

Huskers lose starting QB Armstrong and backup Fyfe. Riley said none of candidates stands out and expect a starter to be named possibly in late August. The Tulane guy, Tanner Lee, was 52% accuracy in two yrs with Green Wave. Had 23 tds and 21 ints. Cethan Carter, graduating te was at NFL combine and was asked about the rs frosh, OBrien.
“I mean, if he was that good, he would’ve played,” said Carter, who’s scheduled to run at Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday. “If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have played. If he was good, he would’ve played. That’s all I can say on that.”

In addition to losing NFL talent Cethan Carter, Nebraska loses number 1 rcvr Westerkamp (526 yards). Lose total of five who were in their top 8 including Alonzo Moore, Brandon Reilly and Sam Cotton. The WR coach is under house arrest for his third dui. They were hoping for Keyshawn Johnson kid who enrolled early to maybe help, but Riley says he has been sick since mid December and out at least a few more weeks.

Defense loses NFL talent safety Nathan Gerry, lb Banderas, and lb Rose Ivey. They were Huskers top three tacklers. Dline loses best run stopper Kevin Maurice and leading sacks and tfl guy Ross Dzuris. Riley fired his lifelong buddy as def coordinator. Three new defensive coaches and a new 3-4 scheme need to be integrated.

Oline group loses starting center but returns a lot.

Nebraska draws Ohio State, at Penn State and Rutgers. Non con is At Oregon, NIU, and Arky State. Arky State was 8-5. Similar match up as MTSU. Oregon and NIU are both down, but both probably more talented rosters than Oregon State and Buffalo. Gophs get Nebraska at home.

Nebraska still shell shocked, confidence wavering after Late season ass kickings by Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee.

Great info! Thanks!

Illinois started Spring Practice I believe on Friday. The Global warming factor I think we lead to more early practices. He'll, in 20 years you may see the Gophers put the pads on after Valentine's Day.

Illinois started Spring Practice I believe on Friday. The Global warming factor I think we lead to more early practices. He'll, in 20 years you may see the Gophers put the pads on after Valentine's Day.

Actually started mid February and finishes this Friday. Lovie says if anyone gets hurt, gives them better chance to heal before Fall and he wants to be done so they can focus fully on recruiting.

Wes Lunt gone at QB. The backup, Crouch, had shoulder surgery and missed Spring ball. The juco transfer QB, Lawson, is academically ineligible so did not even sign yet. Jeff George Jr got the reps...sounds like he is shaky.

3-9 Illini had four guys at combine. Leading tackler Nickerson, big defensive tackle Clements and two def ends, Smoot and Philips. Brought a juco in to replace Nickerson. He is injured and missed Spring ball.

Also loses starting tackle and starting center from Oline and starting safety. Also another defensive line guy. Number two and three returning rcvrs graduate. Number three rusher/number six rcvr Keyshaugh Vaughn transfers to Vandy.

Lovie selling hope, but Fleck and company swooping in hard on Illinois kids, St Louis kids, KC kids. Lovie had only one open practice (yesterday). Very limited 11 on 11. Had a big tent set up for recruits...said took some of air out of recruiting when Rutgers beat Illini and effectively killed any tourney hopes they had. Lovie lost a linebacker coach to NFL. Replaced him with one of his former Buccaneer players, Donnie Abraham, who has been coaching in Florida, most recently at the IMG Academy. Fired his recruiting guy (former Minnesota guy Sternquist).

Lovie non-con is Ball State (which beat Buffalo last year), WKU (which went 11-3 with losses to Bama and to Vandy in OT, beat MTSU), and at USF (which went 11-2 with a loss to FSU; beat South Carolina in Bowl). Draws Rutgers, Indiana and Ohio State.

That will be a miracle record. Riley's first year starting QB's throw INT's. Usually lots of them.

Yep, and the front-runner has demonstrated he's pretty good at tossing INTs. Liking that game more and more...

Concerning Nebraska, I see on their football page five - that's right 5 - S and C coaches strictly for football. Hard to compete with money.

Concerning Nebraska, I see on their football page five - that's right 5 - S and C coaches strictly for football. Hard to compete with money.

Willing to bet Minnesota has that many including GA's.

Willing to bet Minnesota has that many including GA's.

From gophersports roster:

Dan Nichol - Head Strength and Conditioning
Jeremy Cole - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Grant Steen - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Marcus Wasilewski - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach

Also, Fleck added A guy from WMU named Arno Rheinberger, listed as a trainer.

Last years media guide listed Klein and four assistants (Chad Pearson, Dustin Perry, Kane Thompson, Troy Williams).

Top Bottom