STrib: Black coaches vanish from Big Ten, once a model for diversity in college hoops

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

After 30 years of having at least one black coach, in two of the past four seasons all of the Big Ten’s head coaches have been white. Meanwhile, 74 percent of players in power conferences were nonwhite last season (the most recent data available), up from 67 percent in 2008.

From the middle of Bob Knight’s conference-dominating glory days in 1983 all the way until Minnesota fired Smith in 2013, the Big Ten had at least one black coach — peaking with four multiple times in the mid-1990s. Diversity hiring faded from there, the Star Tribune’s analysis revealed, and now has sagged in every other major conference as well.

“It’s obviously disappointing,” said Richard Lapchick, director of the University of Central Florida’s Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport. “The Big Ten in the world of college sport is one of the most prestigious conferences with a rich history. Some of the schools there had some of the earliest hiring of African-American coaches. The fact that the Big Ten has zero [coaches] puts a focus on the Big Ten. But for me, the focus has to be on all of Division I college basketball.”

The ACC, SEC and Big East had more black coaches than white in various seasons throughout the 2000s. For the past three seasons, each has had as many as three and as few as one. The Big 12 is down to one black coach, Shaka Smart at Texas. Five nonwhite coaches in the 2000s kept diversity steady in the Pac-12, but just three remain, and two might not keep their jobs past March.

http://www.startribune.com/black-co...or-diversity-in-college-basketball/415396354/

Go Gophers!!

Gophers tried to hire another black coach but Shaka said no.

I really don't understand how this type of journalism is noteworthy. What would the author suggest? To hire a non-white coach at the expense of better candidate for your program who just happens to be white? Is the author insinuating that AD's discriminate when hiring coaches? Otherwise, I don't understand what an article like this can really accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't understand how this type of journalism is noteworthy. What would the author suggest? To hire a non-white coach at the expense of better candidate for your program who just happens to be white? Is the author insinuating that AD's discriminate when hiring coaches? Otherwise, I don't understand what an article like this can really accomplish.

I find it odd how the Strib of all Big Ten related papers feels the obligation to do a story on this.
If only we had a African American coach once in the last 30 years.

It's noteworthy and interesting to examine the reasons why. It's also important to shine a light on these things or nobody works to change them. The 'well do you want them to hire LESS qualified candidates' response is intellectually lazy at best and an excuse for white supremacy culture at worst. The reasons for the lack of head coaches are far more nuanced but fairly obvious when you take more than a minute to think about it

It's noteworthy and interesting to examine the reasons why. It's also important to shine a light on these things or nobody works to change them. The 'well do you want them to hire LESS qualified candidates' response is intellectually lazy at best and an excuse for white supremacy culture at worst. The reasons for the lack of head coaches are far more nuanced but fairly obvious when you take more than a minute to think about it

Focus on Iowa Nebraska and Purdue; We wanted to hire Shaka; I'd rather have a hot stick in my eye than the Alabama dude that was out there before they hired Pitino

Exactly. I'm not sure why everyone is so offended by the question. It's curious to think about it from the cultural standpoint. Lots of black players for the last 30 years. Not many have risen to head coaching ranks. You'd think former players would be a good talent pool.

It's actually absurd that the chart of black head coaches in the B1G is a bell curve with the wrong end drifting to zero. Universities should be able to solve the issues noted by Brian Ellerbe. It's a quote that could have been said 30 years ago. Although 30 years ago we seemed to be moving forward and not backwards.

“I think the topic has been washed under the rug,” said former Michigan coach Brian Ellerbe, now a Morgan State assistant. “And there aren’t many young guys on the [hiring] lists to move up, either. The administrators, the alums, the people who influence college athletics are just not exposed to minorities and black qualified candidates on a regular basis. They don’t have a clue who these people are.”

I disagree. It's not intellectually lazy to use that argument and it absolutely is not an excuse for a culture of white supremacy. I think that if you are going to write material like this, you better be able to relate it to the bigger picture and either suggest why this is happening, or suggest how you would best rectify the situation. You should also suggest why it is important. I am in no way against inclusion of diverse persons, but in my opinion it does not matter that there are few non-white head coaches in college basketball. The state of college basketball is good. I would argue that non-white players are not suffering due to the relatively few non-white head coaches. I don't see the intrinsic value of having equally proportioned races of players and coaches. Maybe I'm wrong and there is some, you could take the time to explain it.

If you are an AD, it is your job to hire who you think is the best candidate for the job no matter the skin color. So either the argument is "the reason there are fewer non-white HC's is because AD's are racist" or if that argument does not hold, the argument must then necessarily become "there are not enough qualified non-white candidates for these positions." I think debate is the first argument really only hinges on whether you think hiring AD's have some sort of subconscious bias against non-white HC's and view them as lesser candidates, but I don't really see that argument holding any water (and to suggest outright racism is just a brash argument). The second argument is probably a better topic to examine. Maybe it's because there is some systematic bias that prevents non-white head coaches from ascending the ranks in assistant coaching. Maybe it is because these non-white head coaches simply don't have an interest in those head coaching positions. Or it could be for many other reasons.

But the simple fact is, the vast majority of articles like that in the OP never propose an etiology for he problem they suggest is there, or what should be done about it. I don't understand how any progress can be made if all you do is effectively cry about it, and then pass the problem-solving off to the people that you are alleging caused the problem. "You white people are oppressing us minority people! I can't explain how you're doing it beyond simple anecdotes, or how to fix it, but you're white so you'll never understand anyway. But it's your job to fix the problem, and in the mean time we will constantly lament the problem and shame you for not addressing it sooner." I see it as similar to arguments between spouses - one is mad at the other, but won't tell the other why, and expects the other to fix the problem without any explanation of what caused the problem in the first place or how they would like the situation to be rectified. It just is a non-starter to be honest.

Since you seem to be so intellectually enlightened, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Focus on Iowa Nebraska and Purdue; We wanted to hire Shaka; I'd rather have a hot stick in my eye than the Alabama dude that was out there before they hired Pitino

I would've loved Shaka at the time but agree, didn't want my man from Bama.

I disagree. It's not intellectually lazy to use that argument and it absolutely is not an excuse for a culture of white supremacy. I think that if you are going to write material like this, you better be able to relate it to the bigger picture and either suggest why this is happening, or suggest how you would best rectify the situation. You should also suggest why it is important. I am in no way against inclusion of diverse persons, but in my opinion it does not matter that there are few non-white head coaches in college basketball.

If you are an AD, it is your job to hire who you think is the best candidate for the job no matter the skin color. So either the argument is "the reason there are fewer non-white HC's is because AD's are racist" or if that argument does not hold, the argument must then necessarily become "there are not enough qualified non-white candidates for these positions." I think debate is the first argument really only hinges on whether you think hiring AD's have some sort of subconscious bias against non-white HC's and view them as lesser candidates, but I don't really see that argument holding any water (and to suggest outright racism is just a brash argument). The second argument is probably a better topic to examine. Maybe it's because there is some systematic bias that prevents non-white head coaches from ascending the ranks in assistant coaching. Maybe it is because these non-white head coaches simply don't have an interest in those head coaching positions. Or it could be for many other reasons.

But the simple fact is, the vast majority of articles like that in the OP never propose an etiology for he problem they suggest is there, or what should be done about it. I don't understand how any progress can be made if all you do is effectively cry about it, and then pass the problem-solving off to the people that you are alleging caused the problem. "You white people are oppressing us minority people! I can't explain how you're doing it beyond simple anecdotes, or how to fix it, but you're white so you'll never understand anyway. But it's your job to fix the problem, and in the mean time we will constantly lament the problem and shame you for not addressing it sooner." I see it as similar to arguments between spouses - one is mad at the other, but won't tell the other why, and expects the other to fix the problem without any explanation of what caused the problem in the first place or how they would like the situation to be rectified. It just is a non-starter to be honest.

Since you seem to be so intellectually enlightened, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter.

You stated you don't care about the issue then said you want my thoughts on it. Which is it? You claim it's not intellectually lazy to make that argument then quickly provide at least one valid reason the issue exists, disproving your own point. And to claim that isn't an argument for white supremacy is laughable seeing how that's been an argument used to deny minorities opportunities for decades. The socio economic factors that lead to black men being far less educated than their white male counterparts directly effects the number of black men with the necessary qualifications to coach college ball at any level. Them you have all the proven biases in hiring that take place across fields, the very real good old boys networks, the way black men are perceived compared to their white counterparts and numerous other factors. To boil it down to 'well are you saying ADs are racist?' is also intellectually lazy because it utterly fails to take into account the racism and racial bias actually plays out in the real world. It would be easy to put people in little racist/not racist boxes but flthat ain't how life works. Also, to claim a subject is only worth talking about if the presenter also provides solutions is a subtle way of ignoring real issues. People make those statements about issues that effect minorities ALL the time. Hey Kaepernick you can't say police violence is a problem unless you write a dissertation on how to fix it. That nonsense. And yes, the truth is in a white male dominated society the onus IS on them to implement change. The Civil Rights Movement saw black men and women fight and die for change to ultimately have a bunch of old white men sign a bill. These problems were, in fact, created by white men so to write it off as if they have no responsibility in the solution is dishonest and incorrect.

I have why no idea why Stephens from MSU hasn't gotten a shot yet. Guy certainly deserves a shot at his own program.

I apologize for not knowing this, but was J.B. Bickerstaff ever in the running for the Gophers job?

This is like wondering why there are so many blacks instead of whites in the nba or nfl. Im so sick of hearing so many damn arguments end up about race. Its so ridiculous. One would argue a rule like a rooney rule is actually racist against every other ethnicity since onlyone black has to be interviewed. Why not a hispanic or an asian or any other ethnicity. This isnt pre civil war times here. If someone of any color wants to be a coach, they need to work at there craft, excel at it, and they will be able to get their opportunity. If someone is good as a coach, i have no doubt in my mind he will be found. These articles are total crap.

This is like wondering why there are so many blacks instead of whites in the nba or nfl. Im so sick of hearing so many damn arguments end up about race. Its so ridiculous. One would argue a rule like a rooney rule is actually racist against every other ethnicity since onlyone black has to be interviewed. Why not a hispanic or an asian or any other ethnicity. This isnt pre civil war times here. If someone of any color wants to be a coach, they need to work at there craft, excel at it, and they will be able to get their opportunity. If someone is good as a coach, i have no doubt in my mind he will be found. These articles are total crap.

That comparison is not at all accurate. First the NFL is over 70% black which is why the lack of black HCs was alarming. There are almost 0 Hispanics or Asians which is why there's no need to question the lack of HCs of those races. And it's also a terrible comparison to talk about the lack of white players in the NBA and NFL as if they lack opportunities or have been historically denied them by the white people in charge. There are far more white HS FB and BB players than black yet the numbers in D1 sports and the NBA/NFL shift. That's merit based, not opportunity based.

The answer that oleboy and the other race crusaders want to hear is that it is because most whites are racists. Let's just agree with them, roll our eyes and move on. They will will feel satisfied and the rest of us can move on with our lives.

WoodburyTim I think you have the answer. I really thought that Anonymous was right on.

Here is the rundown on Black coaches other than head coach in the Big Ten.

Rutgers-Karl Hobbs Associate Head Coach, Brandin Knight Assistant Coach
Ohio State-Dave Dickerson Associate Head Coach
Illinois-Paris Parham, Jamal Walker Assistant Coaches. No Associate Head Coach at Illinois
Northwestern-Patrick Baldwin, Armom Gates No Associate Head Coach at Northwestern
Purdue-Jack Owens Associate Head Coach, Brandon Brantley Assistant Coach
Michigan-Saddi Washington No Associate Head Coach at Michigan
Michigan State-Dwayne Stephens Associate Head Coach, Mike Garland Assistant Coach
Nebraska-Kenya Hunter Assistant Coach, No Associate Head Coach at Nebraska
Penn State-Dwayne Anderson Assistant, they do have an Associate Head Coach
Wisconsin-Lamont Paris Associate Head Coach
Iowa-Sherman Dillard, Andrew Francis Assistant Coaches No Associate Head Coach at Iowa
Indiana-Chuck Martin Assistant Coach They do have an Associate Head Coach at Indiana
Maryland-Beano Ranson, Cliff Warren, Assistant Coaches No Associate Head Coach at Maryland
Minnesota- Ben Johnson, Kimani Young Assistant Coaches No Associate Head Coach at Minnesota

22 of the 42 assistant spots

So let's get down to the nitty gritty. Who are the racists responsible for this? Not just vague claims of institutional racism, that's a cop out. What AD's are we prepared to name as racists? Which Big10 coaches are we saying have their jobs because they are white? This is what we are talking about right? Let's get some names out there, get some evidence of their racism and hold them accountable. I'm ready to see some evidence and get some results. Who's our first name?

The point is to understand why their is a gap. What are the societal issues that are causing less non-white individuals to be prepared to be successful. This is the rhetoric for any diversity discussion.

Not, "let's hire less qualified people". You should be embarrassed.

The reality is racism is alive and well. It might not be in the form of lynchings and burning crosses, but in the form of a discrepancy of opportunity.

Good for Marcus, and good for the Strib.

I will post the facts and the outrage meter will be off the charts.

1. Asians have higher IQ's than whites.

2. Whites have higher IQ's than blacks.

This is why it's a mystery to everyone about race. No one can ever tell the truth. Whites have higher IQ's overall. That's it. You can find study after study after study on this. You can also use your own eyes.

Now go crazy. By the way, I was racist to myself because I said asians have higher IQ's than my own, so save the crying.

So lets see here, 2 of the last 4 coaches the U of M has hired were black coaches, and we tried to hire another one but he turned us down, so we hired a white coach and while he wasn't doing well, no one says anything, but only after he starts to succeed, the STAR TRIBUNE of all papers, feels it necessary to bring up this question?

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

This is why it's a mystery to everyone about race. No one can ever tell the truth. Whites have higher IQ's overall. That's it. You can find study after study after study on this. You can also use your own eyes.

Now go crazy. By the way, I was racist to myself because I said asians have higher IQ's than my own, so save the crying.

I'd be curious to know where Jews IQs rank?

Yay - eugenics! On the surface what you say has been measured, but there are so many confounding variables that only people that cling to stats like that are doing so for their own racist agenda. Much like how rape isn't as much about sex as it is power, institutional racism is also about power and doesn't have much to do with hate. There really is no such thing as actual racism against us white people in America. Racism, like bad comedy, only punches down...any reciprocation is only resistance and for means of catharsis.

Don't get me wrong, people of any race can be hateful bigots but all they do is create headlines. The real racism is baked in and only goes one way.

As for the topic at hand, the dearth of black coaches in the Big Ten is alarming but I doubt any AD has consciously avoided hiring a black coach for nefarious reasons. It is more than likely just a product of chance and demographics.

NOW go crazy...

This is obviously a serious and (judging by the posts above) controversial topic. It deserves serious consideration. That being said, did anybody besides me think that the picture accompanying the story in the Strib (14 white male head coaches, all screaming and angry) was undoubtedly the funniest thing in the paper all week? I'm not technically skilled enough to post it here, but go take a look. (Also, point of local pride, Pitino is the least crazy-looking face in the lot.)

The answer that oleboy and the other race crusaders want to hear is that it is because most whites are racists. Let's just agree with them, roll our eyes and move on. They will will feel satisfied and the rest of us can move on with our lives.

Yea, no. Funny you use the term 'race crusader'. That tells me all I need to know about your opinions on race in America though.

So let's get down to the nitty gritty. Who are the racists responsible for this? Not just vague claims of institutional racism, that's a cop out. What AD's are we prepared to name as racists? Which Big10 coaches are we saying have their jobs because they are white? This is what we are talking about right? Let's get some names out there, get some evidence of their racism and hold them accountable. I'm ready to see some evidence and get some results. Who's our first name?

Read my previous post. There was actually a recent study on this. Many white folks want to boil the issue of racism down to 'well who's racist?' and make it an individual issue. Problem is that denies the impact institutional racism, privilege and other subtle factors play. To claim that speaking on institutional issues as 'vague' shows you don't even fully understand what that is or the devastating effects it's had.

Top Bottom