Which non-double bye Big Ten team do you NOT want to face?

balds

Reaction score
In the Big Ten and/or NCAA Tournament?

Iowa is the easy answer for me.

Michigan State. They have our number.

I actually wouldn't mind facing MSU. It's extremely hard to play against a team you have already beaten, let alone beaten twice. That, plus the Gophers are a much different team than when they played MSU earlier this season, and the fact that MSU isn't really as scary as we thought they were after they beat WI (who we now know to be free-falling). If we played MSU tomorrow, I think we would beat them by 5-10 points.

To be honest, I'm really not "afraid" of anybody in the Big10, we are right there with anyone. But of the non-double bye teams, I think the teams we least want to run into are Michigan and Iowa, or maybe even Indiana, simply because they are talented, and they played us close and lost and for some reason it's very hard to beat a team again after you win like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even close for me

Next to us, Iowa is probably playing the best. They have multiple scoring threats. They switch defenses often...mixing it up...making it hard for you to get into an offensive rhythm. Making it hard to feel comfortable because their defenses are effective. So the real easy answer for me is Iowa.
Having said that, if we continue to play with confidence and energy, rebound and take care of the ball like we have...one or more of our 7 guys capable of dominating likely will and we'll be Golden no matter who we play in the Big Ten.

I actually wouldn't mind facing MSU. It's extremely hard to play against a team you have already beaten, let alone beaten twice. That, plus the Gophers are a much different team than when they played MSU earlier this season, and the fact that MSU isn't really as scary as we thought they were after they beat WI (who we now know to be free-falling). If we played MSU tomorrow, I think we would beat them by 5-10 points.

To be honest, I'm really not "afraid" of anybody in the Big10, we are right there with anyone. But of the non-double bye teams, I think the teams we least want to run into are Michigan and Iowa, or maybe even Indiana, simply because they are talented, and they played us close and lost and for some reason it's very hard to beat a team again after you win like that.

I've heard this said a lot, and I haven't seen any statistical evidence to back it up, but I would be surprised if the 0-2 team wins more often than the 2-0 team in third games between teams where the same team one the first two.

I've heard this said a lot, and I haven't seen any statistical evidence to back it up, but I would be surprised if the 0-2 team wins more often than the 2-0 team in third games between teams where the same team one the first two.

It's complete B.S. really.

Kansas played Baylor three times last year. Won all three.
Baylor played TCU twice, then beat them a third time.
Villanova beat Georgetown three in a row last year.

On the other side, Seton Hall did beat Villanova after two losses last year.
Also, Oklahoma beat WV twice before losing.

But all together, I would assume the team who won twice wins the third game more often than it loses it because they are probably the better team.

Not sure it matters, who couldn't beat the Gophers on any given day, Mich St, Mich, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio St, Iowa, Indiana, and Penn St are all going to be a tough win in any case.

Rutgers and Nebraska might be the only two weaker teams.

No great teams in the Big Ten and very few weak teams.

In the Big Ten and/or NCAA Tournament?

Iowa is the easy answer for me.

I'd love to beat Iowa again. They've been complaining non-stop on the BTN Facebook page about how they would/should have beat us if it wasn't for the refs.

Move on....

Not sure it matters, who couldn't beat the Gophers on any given day, Mich St, Mich, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio St, Iowa, Indiana, and Penn St are all going to be a tough win in any case.

Rutgers and Nebraska might be the only two weaker teams.

No great teams in the Big Ten and very few weak teams.

I'd feel more comfortable about playing NW than just about any of them. I wouldn't mind a third crack at MSU. Felt we should have won the first, and the second against them was so bad. It seems it was an outlier game.

Penn St we should have beat the first time. I would think we can handle them pretty solidly again.

Indiana appears better. Michigan has been good.
Iowa many could argue is the game we should have lost most.

Least favorite to favorite, I'd go:

Iowa
Michigan
Indiana
MSU
NW
Illinois
OSU
Penn St

Indiana, MSU, Michigan, Iowa, NW, Illinois, tOSU, Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, in that order. I would be very confident with Penn State and below. I'd expect a tight game Michigan or above, that would be close enough to a coin flip. I'm not sure why, but Indiana still scares me. I think we outplayed Iowa, and they were lucky to be in the game to be screwed by the refs.

Next to us, Iowa is probably playing the best. They have multiple scoring threats. They switch defenses often...mixing it up...making it hard for you to get into an offensive rhythm. Making it hard to feel comfortable because their defenses are effective. So the real easy answer for me is Iowa.
Having said that, if we continue to play with confidence and energy, rebound and take care of the ball like we have...one or more of our 7 guys capable of dominating likely will and we'll be Golden no matter who we play in the Big Ten.
The gophers aren't a non-double bye team

I entirely reject the OP.

Every team wants to avoid us. We don't care who we play.

MSU
Michigan
Iowa

In that order.

I'd love to beat Iowa again. They've been complaining non-stop on the BTN Facebook page about how they would/should have beat us if it wasn't for the refs.

Move on....

I keep reminding them that if Jok wasn't allowed 10 fouls in that game, it wouldn't have even come down to the end.

I keep reminding them that if Jok wasn't allowed 10 fouls in that game, it wouldn't have even come down to the end.

Correct. That officiating team is bad every time I see them on TV too. The one with that short guy

I'd just like a win. Get to the semis and beat Purdue. Rematch vs Wisconsin in the final. Let's go

Top Bottom