United FC will pay U at least $1M to use TCF Bank Stadium

It's not the top league in the world, but I wouldn't call it minor league either. Maybe more like the equivelent of the Mountain West Converence. I expect that as soccer gets more popular in the US, more of the best players will be enticed to come here. The MLS could wind up dominating soccer just like the NFL, MLB and NHL dominate their sports.
First, don't take this as a rip on soccer. I played soccer and have coached it for years. I am doubtful soccer will ever become popular enough in the US to challenge the European leagues. People have been talking about that for years but it still hasn't happened. I would still rather watch the other four major sports on tv over soccer.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

First, don't take this as a rip on soccer. I played soccer and have coached it for years. I am doubtful soccer will ever become popular enough in the US to challenge the European leagues. People have been talking about that for years but it still hasn't happened. I would still rather watch the other four major sports on tv over soccer.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

I don't think people are arguing the MLS will become more popular than the EPL overall (world wide). It will become more popular than the EPL in this country though. Just having the teams here in your market and games at regular times will do that.

Seriously? You would rather watch baseball on TV over soccer? Football on tv is getting to the point where I only want to watch it if I recorded it and can fast forward through all the breaks. Basketball and hockey on TV are still fun to watch with plenty of action and similar time for the games as soccer. Soccer games are 2 hours max with 45 mins straight uninterrupted action, a short half and 45 mins uninterrupted action. Football, baseball and basketball recently have all been making efforts to "shorten" their games and provide a better viewing experience. Why are they doing that if their production is so great?

But as far as attending games, nothing beats a live soccer match.

nothing beats a live soccer match.

giphy.gif

The one positive with soccer is the game is uninterrupted by commercial breaks. The action in a soccer match is good, but can be slow at times.
If football and basketball would eliminate all the TV timeouts, I believe the atmosphere at games and interest in those sports would increase dramatically. Yes that is a pipe dream with all the TV revenue that is generated, but it sure would help the games length and it would also increase the fan excitement at the games.

You must not have ever attended an important soccer match. You should try it sometime. The atmosphere will blow you away.

Agreed! Spurs vs Chelsea New Years Day 2015 at White Hart Lane and USA vs Mexico at University of Phoenix Stadium were unbelievable. We are thinking of going Sunday just to say we were there

Agreed! Spurs vs Chelsea New Years Day 2015 at White Hart Lane and USA vs Mexico at University of Phoenix Stadium were unbelievable. We are thinking of going Sunday just to say we were there

Come on out! Free parking at Surly, and your first beer is free if you're in MNUFC garb.

I don't think people are arguing the MLS will become more popular than the EPL overall (world wide). It will become more popular than the EPL in this country though. Just having the teams here in your market and games at regular times will do that.

Seriously? You would rather watch baseball on TV over soccer? Football on tv is getting to the point where I only want to watch it if I recorded it and can fast forward through all the breaks. Basketball and hockey on TV are still fun to watch with plenty of action and similar time for the games as soccer. Soccer games are 2 hours max with 45 mins straight uninterrupted action, a short half and 45 mins uninterrupted action. Football, baseball and basketball recently have all been making efforts to "shorten" their games and provide a better viewing experience. Why are they doing that if their production is so great?

Yes, I'd rather watch baseball. Another sport I played growing up. Twins season ticket holder.

Yes, I'd rather watch baseball. Another sport I played growing up. Twins season ticket holder.

Also played baseball growing up. Have been a "partial season" ticket holder. You would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to watch them on TV if it isn't the playoffs. Baseball is horrible to watch on TV. Golf is better. OK maybe that's ridiculous... or is it?

Hmmm....I read "soccer gear" so hoping a Spurs jersey works!

I read "soccer gear" too so I think any jersey will work. I'll have United gear on obviously anyway though. See you Sunday.

Me too. Soccer is very similar to hockey. Both are better in person.

Baseball is the best radio sport.

Baseball is the best nap on the couch sport.

Except The Masters. That thing is legendary couch napping material - the music, the nature sounds, the soft commentary ... I think my best naps the past few years have come on Saturday of The Masters, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baseball is dying because the old guard doesn't want anyone to have fun playing it - I can't remember the last time I watched a baseball game on tv.

This is exactly what happened to me and I am 47 years old. Well I have been following soccer of some sort since the 70's when I was a kid in elementary school.

The one positive with soccer is the game is uninterrupted by commercial breaks. The action in a soccer match is good, but can be slow at times.
If football and basketball would eliminate all the TV timeouts, I believe the atmosphere at games and interest in those sports would increase dramatically. Yes that is a pipe dream with all the TV revenue that is generated, but it sure would help the games length and it would also increase the fan excitement at the games.

Exactly, commericals have killed football and basketball. If they would elminate more of them than the games would have better atmosphere.

I would venture to guess almost every soccer-football game in Europe has better atmosphere than every football game played in America. Even goofball Paul Allen of KFAN has said his experience attending the Premier League was incredible.

I would venture to guess almost every soccer-football game in Europe has better atmosphere than every football game played in America. Even goofball Paul Allen of KFAN has said his experience attending the Premier League was incredible.

I have been to 2 EPL games. The atmosphere is great. I have been to some great football games as well. Not sure I would say almost every...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a chance. I'm a big Arsenal fan, while I've never been to a game, out home games are rather famously "Plastic".

I've got to imagine the atmosphere at lambeau compares favorably to many of the EPL matches.

Not a chance. I'm a big Arsenal fan, while I've never been to a game, out home games are rather famously "Plastic".

I've got to imagine the atmosphere at lambeau compares favorably to many of the EPL matches.

That's because the EPL is plastic. :p

Bundesliga takes the cake for fan atmosphere.

Not a chance. I'm a big Arsenal fan, while I've never been to a game, our home games are rather famously "Plastic".

Gooners are famously "Plastic!" ;) Certainly not the same at White Hart Lane for the two games I've been to.

COYS!

That's because the EPL is plastic. :p

Bundesliga takes the cake for fan atmosphere.

World cup takes the cake for atmosphere! Those and Euro Cup games are pretty awesome too. Not sure that's a fair comparison bringing in national teams...

The MN United up in Blaine had a better atmosphere than any twins game I've been to since game 163 and better than any Twolves game I've ever been to in my life. Soccer just has more passionate fans, I can't wait for them to move into their own stadium and pack it with passionate fans. I'm hoping for some fun new traditions too, we'll find out tomorrow.

MLS will be a top 3 American pro league in 20 years behind the NFL and NBA.

By what metric? Local TV ratings for the teams involved? National TV ratings? Attendance? Ad money? Just curious about your prediction.

I dislike soccer, but am not "anti-soccer." In my opinion the MLS will always be second class in this country because it is a sub-par league (in soccer terms). It's like watching AA baseball. Also, it will only become easier to access sporting events from different parts of the world, so the die-hard fans will prefer to watch the best level they can...mostly out of Europe.

I don't think it will ever generate big time ad revenue mostly because the continuous action doesn't allow for commercials. I do believe it will do pretty well attendance-wise because it so popular in this country with families that aren't really that invested in sports but still want their kids to get exercise, and has a low cost barrier.

I mean, really, to get back to your original prediction - in 20 years each individual's experiences will likely be so completely curated that the NFL will be the only mega-national sport (assuming it still exists). Everything else will just be fed directly to its strong, loyal fan bases.

Top Bottom