Athlon: Spring Big Ten West Power Rankings (#5. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

5. Minnesota
Key Spring Goal: Find a Quarterback
New coach P.J. Fleck inherits 13 starters from a team that went 9-4 last season, so there’s a solid foundation in place for the Golden Gophers to build around in spring ball. The biggest concern for Fleck is likely at quarterback, as Mitch Leidner expired his eligibility following the Holiday Bowl win against Washington State. Former walk-on Conor Rhoda started one game last season but will be pushed for snaps by sophomore Demry Croft, redshirt freshmen Mark Williams and Seth Green, true freshman Tanner Morgan and junior college recruit Neil McLaurin.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-2017-spring-football-preview-and-power-rankings

Go Gophers!!

More Pro-Fleck reporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athalon is pretty stinky.

But this is a fair ranking even if only by accident considering all the question marks.

It is a way too early, really safe ranking. I certainly think Gophs, NW and Iowa are easily interchangeable in this ranking, and I could make an argument to include NEB in that mix. IA has serious holes to fill on offense. NEB has way bigger QB shoes to fill than the Gophs.

I predict that Athlon will completely miss their predictions except for the #1 team in both divisions, although Penn St could arguably win the East.

Top Bottom