All Things P.J. Fleck Twitter Thread

Would you rather have Claeys doing nothing to promote the program?

Please reread my post. For the third time, I have zero issue with PJF doing this. He can put an oar in every business in the State for all I care. Good for him. No issues with him doing this. I actually like seeing U stuff at restaurants. Why is this so hard to grasp. I have not said anything negative about what PJF is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please reread my post. For the third time, I have zero issue with PJF doing this. He can put an oar in every business in the State for all I care. Good for him. No issues with him doing this. I actually like seeing U stuff at restaurants. Why is this so hard to grasp. I have not said anything negative about what PJF is doing.

I like you, Spoofin. I generally laugh a lot at your * posts and whatnot. But...

"I find what some will read into it and its effect annoying. Hang oars l over town for all I care. "
"Not oars - actual things that represent the team."
"Now, if an oar on the wall shows a business is "excited for the future of Gopher Football" (which is pure crazy talk)... "
"I find it comical that some think hanging an oar in a Subway will accomplish anything or shows any 'excitement for the future'."

...is definitely not...

"I have zero issue with it."
"Again... not criticizing him. I have zero issue with him doing this (for the second time)."
"I have not said anything negative about what PJF is doing."

...otherwise you wouldn't mention your (1)issue with it and (2) criticism of it. But I do believe the not offended part. Addendum: Dude, it's okay to not like what P.J. is doing. Own it. It's okay.

I like you, Spoofin. I generally laugh a lot at your * posts and whatnot. But...

"I find what some will read into it and its effect annoying. Hang oars l over town for all I care. "
"Not oars - actual things that represent the team."
"Now, if an oar on the wall shows a business is "excited for the future of Gopher Football" (which is pure crazy talk)... "
"I find it comical that some think hanging an oar in a Subway will accomplish anything or shows any 'excitement for the future'."

...is definitely not...

"I have zero issue with it."
"Again... not criticizing him. I have zero issue with him doing this (for the second time)."
"I have not said anything negative about what PJF is doing."

...otherwise you wouldn't mention your (1)issue with it and (2) criticism of it. But I do believe the not offended part. Addendum: Dude, it's okay to not like what P.J. is doing. Own it. It's okay.

Again - I don't care that he is doing this. Every post I have made on this subject (and you have posted above) has been a poke at those that think this is something big. One dude said it shows people and businesses are excited about the future of Gopher Football. Come on. Hanging sports stuff in a restaurant is done at virtually every bar in America.

I don't care for "oars=Gopher Football", true that (which I guess is a negative directed at PJ), but PJ being out and about giving them away is not something that irks me (as was suggested). The poster painting it like it is something that shows "excitement for the future" is.

I have not been shy about "owning" things I don't like when Pj does them - give me that.

Look around your office or cubicle, do you regularly hang things on the walls that carry absolutely no meaning to you whatsoever?

The oar thing has really grown on me along with RTB. People can talk about it easily when explaining the meaning of it. It has a powerful message and is very meaningful. Problem being is that some people don't like to work hard as they don't see the immediate results and they can be critical of just about anything.

Look around your office or cubicle, do you regularly hang things on the walls that carry absolutely no meaning to you whatsoever?

You are right Josh. The only reason that Subway would hang an oar on their wall is that the business and the people at that business have unbridled excitement for the future of Gopher Football. The same way every sports bar in America is excited about the future of each sports team featured in the stuff they hang. I didn't believe it before, but do now.

I tend to be on Spoofin's side on this one. The oar does not mean "Gopher Football" to me. The oar, and Row the Boat, are aspects that Fleck brought with him from his previous job. The oar used to show excitement for Western Michigan FB. Now, it apparently shows excitement for Gopher FB. If he leaves MN for another school at some point in the future, I expect the oars and RTB will go along with him.

So, let's say this - in 5, 6 or 7 years, if Fleck is coaching at Big-Time Helmet School, and he's promoting oars and RTB, what happens to the oars hanging up in Dinkytown? Do they still show excitement for Gopher FB?

hey - I'm all for promoting the program. But, the U of M has been around for a long time. The school and the FB program have long-standing traditions. Maybe I just don't like Fleck. Maybe I'm a grumpy old man who hates change. Either way, if I walk into a business, and see an oar, it just doesn't mean that much to me. If it makes you go all warm and fuzzy, good for you. You're free to believe whatever you want to believe. Just don't expect everyone to believe the same thing.

And please remember this - I want the Football team to win. My ultimate loyalty is to the Football program - not to any specific coach. I wanted the Gophers to win when Mason was coaching. I wanted the Gophers to win when Brewster was coaching. I wanted the Gophers to win when Kill was coaching. I wanted the Gopher to win when Claeys was coaching. And I want the Gophers to win now that Fleck is coaching.

So, let's say this - in 5, 6 or 7 years, if Fleck is coaching at Big-Time Helmet School, and he's promoting oars and RTB, what happens to the oars hanging up in Dinkytown? Do they still show excitement for Gopher FB?

We beat PJ's statue with them, then burn them all.

I tend to be on Spoofin's side on this one. The oar does not mean "Gopher Football" to me. The oar, and Row the Boat, are aspects that Fleck brought with him from his previous job. The oar used to show excitement for Western Michigan FB. Now, it apparently shows excitement for Gopher FB. If he leaves MN for another school at some point in the future, I expect the oars and RTB will go along with him.

hey - I'm all for promoting the program. But, the U of M has been around for a long time. The school and the FB program have long-standing traditions. Maybe I just don't like Fleck. Maybe I'm a grumpy old man who hates change. Either way, if I walk into a business, and see an oar, it just doesn't mean that much to me. If it makes you go all warm and fuzzy, good for you. You're free to believe whatever you want to believe. Just don't expect everyone to believe the same thing.

And please remember this - I want the Football team to win. My ultimate loyalty is to the Football program - not to any specific coach. I wanted the Gophers to win when Mason was coaching. I wanted the Gophers to win when Brewster was coaching. I wanted the Gophers to win when Kill was coaching. I wanted the Gopher to win when Claeys was coaching. And I want the Gophers to win now that Fleck is coaching.

I get what you are saying but if your being consistent then you should have had the same complaint about "Brick by Brick" with Kill and co. because there is nothing U of M brand specific about that mantra either. And I am sure we handed out special commemorative "Bricks" to partners who were helping build the program and plenty of those bricks ended up on display around the stadium the same way we are talking about showing the oars.

I'm praying PJ stops sharing his philosophy in depth with the masses, the less I know the better. Saves phrases like Nekton Mentality and Prefointaine Pace for people who are required to smile and nod to keep their jobs or get playing time, because as a fan it just sounds like bat sh$t crazy to me. First time I saw those mentioned I thought someone was equating PJ with the Church of Scientology, had no idea that it was actually part of his own lexicon.

I get what you are saying but if your being consistent then you should have had the same complaint about "Brick by Brick" with Kill and co. because there is nothing U of M brand specific about that mantra either. And I am sure we handed out special commemorative "Bricks" to partners who were helping build the program and plenty of those bricks ended up on display around the stadium the same way we are talking about showing the oars.

I'm praying PJ stops sharing his philosophy in depth with the masses, the less I know the better. Saves phrases like Nekton Mentality and Prefointaine Pace for people who are required to smile and nod to keep their jobs or get playing time, because as a fan it just sounds like bat sh$t crazy to me. First time I saw those mentioned I thought someone was equating PJ with the Church of Scientology, had no idea that it was actually part of his own lexicon.

Don't think he got it from NIU or had to pay them for it. Guessing it started here.

And if Rutgers started using Brick by Brick it would be a huge shock right? Because that phrase somehow belongs to the U of M?

Actually I think at least one other CFB program uses "brick by brick". I think it is just an idiom and I'm not sure how much ownership anyone can have with "brick by brick".

Actually I think at least one other CFB program uses "brick by brick". I think it is just an idiom and I'm not sure how much ownership anyone can have with "brick by brick".

No more than you can own "Row the Boat" outside of very narrow and very specific copyrighting and licensing.

Again - I don't care that he is doing this. Every post I have made on this subject (and you have posted above) has been a poke at those that think this is something big. One dude said it shows people and businesses are excited about the future of Gopher Football. Come on. Hanging sports stuff in a restaurant is done at virtually every bar in America.

I don't care for "oars=Gopher Football", true that (which I guess is a negative directed at PJ), but PJ being out and about giving them away is not something that irks me (as was suggested). The poster painting it like it is something that shows "excitement for the future" is.

I have not been shy about "owning" things I don't like when Pj does them - give me that.

Good enough answer for me. I like the M, RTB, SKI-U-MAH logo on the oar. It will still mean Gophers to me long after PJ isn't coach. Regardless of jerseys, bricks, oars, well I'm just glad to see Gophers stuff. I like the excitement since January. Recruiting has been fun. I'm not sure what make of PJ, I haven't decided yet. But reading the Gopherhole fisticuffs over everything he does is highly amusing.

Direct tie to the U. Direct. Memorial stadium was called...wait for it...the Brick House. Ask any Gopher football fan or student who attended the U or a game before 1982. That's pretty much only what my Dad called it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Stadium_(University_of_Minnesota)

Direct tie to the U. Direct. Memorial stadium was called...wait for it...the Brick House. Ask any Gopher football fan or student who attended the U or a game before 1982. That's pretty much only what my Dad called it.

So should fans base their fandom on direct ties only? I suppose we could get rid of the Twins and get the Lakers back. I know I can count on Wild fans telling Dallas Stars fans the facts. (guilty as charged!)

Which Memorial Stadium should I consider? Nebraska's? Illinois'?, Indiana's? One of the 14 other Memorial Stadiums that currently exist in college football? They're all made of bricks.

Row the Boat and oars are far more unique in college football than bricks or Memorial Stadium's.

Which Memorial Stadium should I consider? Nebraska's? Illinois'?, Indiana's? One of the 14 other Memorial Stadiums that currently exist in college football? They're all made of bricks.

Row the Boat and oars are far more unique in college football than bricks or Memorial Stadium's.

Yep. This is accurate.

I don't care if it's Brick by Brick or Row the Boat.....I'm supporting whatever it takes to get more people interested in the Gophers. If some people think it's cheesy or gimmicky, good for them. Those opinions haven't made them ineffective in gaining interest.

Nebraska. We were saying "brick by brick" about Nebraska's stadium.

Just kidding, it would be obviously pathetic to have a mantra that was used and for another school. That would be silly.

RTB!!!!!

Yes, he was a Claeys superfan.

Spoofin started another pissing match!

These are the only 2 posts you have made in this thread in the last week. Nah, you aren't obsessed with me JB. Just so you know, I am happily married and not interested.

I made an effort to stop engaging you on this board. It has only been 6 days, but it is clearly already eating you apart. Kind of pathetic. A gem.

These are the only 2 posts you have made in this thread in the last week. Nah, you aren't obsessed with me JB. Just so you know, I am happily married and not interested.

I made an effort to stop engaging you on this board. It has only been 6 days, but it is clearly already eating you apart. Kind of pathetic. A gem.

I've been posting on GH for 15 years now, and while lately I've been mostly lurking, I'd like to come out of hibernation to let you know that you are easily the worst poster on this site. Every time you "contribute" to a thread, it completely devolves into nearly unreadable bickering and garbage.

I've noticed you like to blame others for that, but take a good hard look in a mirror. It's you.

I've been posting on GH for 15 years now, and while lately I've been mostly lurking, I'd like to come out of hibernation to let you know that you are easily the worst poster on this site. Every time you "contribute" to a thread, it completely devolves into nearly unreadable bickering and garbage.

I've noticed you like to blame others for that, but take a good hard look in a mirror. It's you.

XO. Welcome back.

/Thread

Agreed 100%

Top Bottom