Rutgers OC Jerry Kill's offense like 'Wisconsin and TCU mixed on drugs'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NJ.com:

If you are wondering about the end result of crossing a spread offense with a pro-style offense, you share the same thought at least one of Jerry Kill's former quarterbacks once had.

Philip Nelson was Minnesota's Mr. Football award-winner as the top high school player in the state as a senior. His decision to stay home for college was rewarded when he became Kill's Big Ten starter as a true freshman and sophomore for the 2012-13 Golden Gophers.

So Nelson knows better than most what Rutgers offense will look like in 2017, with Kill calling the plays from his new post as offensive coordinator.

"I remember when I was getting recruited they described it to me as Wisconsin and TCU mixed on drugs," Nelson told NJ Advance Media. "That's kind of where it's a fun offense. One play you can be four-wide, spread 'em out -- inside zone (run) as a quarterback or going deep (pass). The next play you could be in three tight ends and a fullback and that whole offense."

Nelson transferred from Minnesota in a search for an offense that better fit his skills as a pass-first quarterback. He rushed for 364 yards and six touchdowns as a sophomore, but it appeared Mitch Leidner -- who wound up as a three-year starter -- was a better fit for Kill.

"Coach Kill does a great job of playing to his players' strengths, but he definitely likes a tough quarterback who can tuck it down and run and give you that threat on the ground as well as being able to air it out," Nelson said.

"That was really what made me want to go to Minnesota. Being that athletic quarterback -- that pass-first-but-can-also-run guy -- I think that's what the quarterbacks at Rutgers can expect."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...c_jerry_kills_offense_like_wisconsin_and.html

Go Gophers!!

So WI and TCU mixed and on drugs = RUTM?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think this is all just Nelson trying to look good before the draft...

Too funny. My favorite quote...

So Nelson knows better than most what Rutgers offense will look like in 2017.

I suspect I have a better idea than PN9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, outside of when they play the Gophers, I can see myself rooting for Rutgers/Kill to be successful but there's no reason to believe that Jerry Kill can put together a dynamic offense that resembles a combination of uw and TCU. Maybe by "on drugs" he means you would have to be on drugs to think his offenses resemble competent D1 college offenses.

It really sucks, because I was all in on Kill and respected the hell out of him. But, as time passes, I am beginning to realize that he is a petulant little child. How long at Rutgers before he claims he can't put in the requisite time to the job and quits there too? I will always root for his health (because I'm not a monster) but he was either unfair to us or is being unfair to himself.

Too funny. My favorite quote...

So Nelson knows better than most what Rutgers offense will look like in 2017.

I suspect I have a better idea than PN9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PN9 knows all about how awesome Kill is with Offense... so he left...

Someone please enter this into Common Man's preposterous statement tournament.

I our offense was "on drugs" under kill, it was a lethal dose of heroin where heroin equates to multiple RUTM's.

Just to be clear, Nelson said that was how someone described the offense to him when he was being recruited so that description came from someone in Kill's organization that clearly had a really high opinion of what they were doing.

To be fair we have seen some of what Wisconsin did with the running game....not sure I ever recall seeing anything that even slightly resembled TCU on offense during the Kill years. Seems like you actually need to find quality receivers and dynamic QB's to run that, 2 things in short supply during those years.

Hopefully Jerry is healthy enough to hire back in a couple years after the pending Fleck disaster.

I our offense was "on drugs" under kill, it was a lethal dose of heroin where heroin equates to multiple RUTM's.

I think he meant to say one had to be on drugs to see a mix of Wisconsin and TCU

There are good drugs and bad drugs...

Just to be clear, Nelson said that was how someone described the offense to him when he was being recruited so that description came from someone in Kill's organization that clearly had a really high opinion of what they were doing.

To be fair we have seen some of what Wisconsin did with the running game....not sure I ever recall seeing anything that even slightly resembled TCU on offense during the Kill years. Seems like you actually need to find quality receivers and dynamic QB's to run that, 2 things in short supply during those years.
If it was when Nelson was being recruited, isn't that before TCU hired new offense staff and got Boykin at QB?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't really call them drugs, but I am sure they were talking about a blend of NyQuil and Ex-Lax...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So WI and TCU mixed and on drugs = RUTM?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Presactly, and they're gonna keep doing it until it works....

.....even if it never works

Kill will sell you "stroke the post," but will leave you dry humping the post...the post will be there for your taking, but you will be cock blocked.

Well Nelson was recruited in 2012 before Meacham and Cumbie were TCUs OCs, so he may not be far off.

Top Bottom