Do we expect ZERO off-season transfers?

GopherJake

Reaction score
I would be shocked if anyone in the rotation transfers (or declares for the draft). Hurt, no. Gilbert? Not sure. Sharpe? Is he on scholarship? Diedou (or however you spell it)? Doubtful, right?

Rumors of transfers have been uncharacteristically silent.

At least none of the key players, I'd assume. Each of them has had tremendous success at various points in the season.

Sharpe is a walk on, who turned down offers from small major schools, think he has a relative or coaches at Hampton. I could see him transferring to a school like that if he wants to play. Gilbert, Gaston sound like great teammates who bring a good attitude to practice and push their teammates, from a chemistry issue, can't overstate the importance of having good locker room guys at the end of the bench

Sharpe is not on a scholarship. I think Sharpe would like to get into coach, great kid and I think he has the aptitude for it so reason to leave is likely less about playing time. Gilbert is the only one I see as a potential transfer. He could be a pretty solid player at a mid-major but unlikely to get any meaningful playing time at MN. Other threads have discussed it and I agree, Diedou isn't going anywhere - he's not real bothered by the prospect of not playing and he is very happy to get the free degree from a top university. Hurt has a nice future here as he gets comfortable, I think he will be a very solid player as a junior and senior.

If Gilbert is happy pushing the guys in practice and making them better, then we will have no transfers.

Maybe it's nothing, but Gilbert is the only player on the team that didn't see the floor last night. Maybe it was just an oversight or maybe he's hurt, but that just seems odd to not put him in at all.

There may be some roster movement on the fringes but I don't think it will involve any of the key guys. Really can't see anyone declaring for the draft because nobody on the current roster would be projected as a lottery pick in the NBA.

Things could however get a little interesting after next season with Mason and Lynch graduating and assuming he continues his current play Murphy could play himself into being a legit NBA prospect after next year. Add to that Coffey's development and the potential is there for a massive roster overhaul after next year.

There may be some roster movement on the fringes but I don't think it will involve any of the key guys. Really can't see anyone declaring for the draft because nobody on the current roster would be projected as a lottery pick in the NBA.

Things could however get a little interesting after next season with Mason and Lynch graduating and assuming he continues his current play Murphy could play himself into being a legit NBA prospect after next year. Add to that Coffey's development and the potential is there for a massive roster overhaul after next year.

Murph is a 6'6 Power Forward. He will play 4 years of college.

Maybe it's nothing, but Gilbert is the only player on the team that didn't see the floor last night. Maybe it was just an oversight or maybe he's hurt, but that just seems odd to not put him in at all.

I thought that was odd as well. I was in the arena early last night and saw him warming up and hitting shots. He didn't look in any injury distress to me. I would think they might say something if he was hurt. In the post game senior send off, Pitino went out of his way to let the crowd know that Springs lack of playing time last night was because he had a back issue. I would think he might do something in the press conference on Gilbert if that were the reason.

Upside of Gilbert staying is that if Pitino can create a culture of guys paying their dues and developing over a couple of years, that could be very good for the program.

Murphy is not a NBA player he is way to small to play power forward and not agile or have skills to play small forward. He will be a great Euro player though

So was Charles Barkley. (some say Sir Charles is even shorter)

I think it would be a great story and would love to see Murph have that kind of success, but I agree with DC - you just don't see a lot of interest coming from NBA scouts given his size limitations. It's a different NBA than it was in the 90s. In terms of Coffey, I think he stays at least through his Jr. year. If you're going to play a wing in the NBA you need ability to beat your man in 1 on 1 situation and he's not yet dynamic enough with the dribble on perimeter.
All that is to say this team should be pretty stable for the next 2 years at least. Mason and Lynch will be hard to replace - obviously Washington is exciting, can Curry / Oturu / another frosh / transfer give them enough down low after Lynch goes ? Time will tell.

Stop....name the last 6'6 PF (that didn't completely dominate the college game) to be thought highly enough to enter the draft before exhausting his eligibility? Murph is developing into a very good college player, but his skill set/size combination doesn't warrant being drafted in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We'll probably hear some transfer rumors after the season is over and the coaches have individual meetings with each player.

Why worry about transfers? It looks unlikely that any of our main contributors will transfer. You watch the game yesterday, and you can see that the bench guys are really engaged, and loving this run. So let's enjoy this season. Let next year take care of itself.

Stop....name the last 6'6 PF (that didn't completely dominate the college game) to be thought highly enough to enter the draft before exhausting his eligibility? Murph is developing into a very good college player, but his skill set/size combination doesn't warrant being drafted in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Those are sometimes the guys that leave early. No matter what Murphy does, he will always be a 6'6" PF. So, if he's picked, it'll be in the second (or undrafted) regardless. So might as well get going on that. . .

Some similar players (they didn't leave early):

Kenneth Faried - measured in at 6'6" at the combine. He had better stats but he was at Morehead State.

Udonis Haslem - measured 6'7" at the combine. He had really similar stats to Murphy.

Draymond Green - measured in 6'6" at the combine. He had much better numbers by the time he was a senior.

In the NBA, a lot of teams are moving towards smaller PFs. It's become such a perimeter game that teams can get away with playing smaller PFs because they need guys who can chase down stretch 4s. Teams like the Wolves with two post guys over 6'11" in their starting lineup are a bit outdated.

But generally, I agree with you, there is very little chance Murphy goes pro.

I remember the good old days when GH members worried whether Rodney Williams would leave after his sophomore or junior year! IALTO

Why worry about transfers? It looks unlikely that any of our main contributors will transfer. You watch the game yesterday, and you can see that the bench guys are really engaged, and loving this run. So let's enjoy this season. Let next year take care of itself.
:confused: Who is "worrying about transfers?" In fact, the point of the OP is to point out that this is the first year in quite a while we might not have any transfers. And God forbid we talk about anything outside of the next game. That means we aren't enjoying the season!

:confused: Who is "worrying about transfers?" In fact, the point of the OP is to point out that this is the first year in quite a while we might not have any transfers. And God forbid we talk about anything outside of the next game. That means we aren't enjoying the season!

You wrote what I was going to.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the season AND looking at the future. I had a blast at the game last night. Also looking forward to next years squad.

Gilbert hasn't played much but I'd love for him to stay and keep working. Sometimes guys like him become contributers as JRs and SRs. Truthfully if he were to leave it wouldn't benefit the program. Its too late to fill his scholly for next year unless we found another grad transfer. Sometimes it just takes some time for the light bulb to go on for guys

Gilbert hasn't played much but I'd love for him to stay and keep working. Sometimes guys like him become contributers as JRs and SRs. Truthfully if he were to leave it wouldn't benefit the program. Its too late to fill his scholly for next year unless we found another grad transfer. Sometimes it just takes some time for the light bulb to go on for guys
I'm not pushing or hoping for Gilbert to transfer - I largely agree with what you say here. That said, I think the success of Akeem Springs could pave the way for other guys' interest in following his lead. Maybe not next year, but Exhibit A to present to a potential grad transfer is a pretty good one.

Some similar players (they didn't leave early):

Kenneth Faried - measured in at 6'6" at the combine. He had better stats but he was at Morehead State.

Udonis Haslem - measured 6'7" at the combine. He had really similar stats to Murphy.

Draymond Green - measured in 6'6" at the combine. He had much better numbers by the time he was a senior.

Good mentions. Although we're going back awhile, there was also Jerome Lane (listed at 6'6" but reportedly shorter) who played for Pitt in the latter 80s and was a tremendous rebounder in college. He didn't have a great pro career but he played 5 years in the league.

There was also Jared Dudley (about Murphy's size) but he developed a pretty good long range shot while still in college and has played small forward in the pros.

We should also remember that Murphy is good defender.

Good mentions. Although we're going back awhile, there was also Jerome Lane (listed at 6'6" but reportedly shorter) who played for Pitt in the latter 80s and was a tremendous rebounder in college. He didn't have a great pro career but he played 5 years in the league.

There was also Jared Dudley (about Murphy's size) but he developed a pretty good long range shot while still in college and has played small forward in the pros.

We should also remember that Murphy is good defender.

Murphy is a not a good defender. He is foul prone and can't guard 3 men. He struggled guarding Nigel Hayes off the dribble imagine Murphy trying to guard Lebron James at small forward

Death clutch is spot-on. He ain't Barkley. He also has no game beyond 3 ft. He can be a great college player, and should work on his ball-handling and perimeter shooting.
If Gilbert is happy pushing the guys in practice and making them better, then we will have no transfers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm not pushing or hoping for Gilbert to transfer - I largely agree with what you say here. That said, I think the success of Akeem Springs could pave the way for other guys' interest in following his lead. Maybe not next year, but Exhibit A to present to a potential grad transfer is a pretty good one.
Possibly but most grad transfers will want to A- Play a lot and B- win. We had a clear hole in the rotation with Dorsey leaving and Jarvis being ineligible so any halfway decent transfer would pretty much know they are at the least the 3rd guard. Is that the case next year? Not really. We'll at least theoretically have 4 scholarship guards that can reasonably expect PT, 2 Sr centers and 3 Forwards who we KNOW will play a lot plus the return of Fitzgerald and Hurt to possibly take minutes. How many grad transfers will be out there that can expect to crack the rotation and play 20+ minutes a night? They'd have to be pretty good and pretty well established

If Trevor Mbakwe wasn't an NBA player, no way Jordan Murphy is an NBA player. I love the guy, but 6'6" PF's who can't shoot just don't have NBA careers anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people around here really have stars in their eyes. Like the three monkeys: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. The way things are going now, Gilbert would benefit himself and the program if he transferred. If you think the average D1 recruit wants to sit on the bench and cheer his teammates for four years out of love of school and team, I can point to about 4 to 6 hundred transfers each year to demonstrate how very wrong you are.

What makes you think that Pitino will start smiling upon him and gracing him with more playing time in the next two years? Did he do that with Elliot? Did he do that with Buggs? Wake up. This is a tough business and Pitino has his cutthroat side just like most other D1 coaches.

It's certainly not too late to fill his scholarship and Gaston's if they decide to go. There will be 4 to 6 hundred transfers looking for a place to go and there will still be unsigned prep players after the season is over.

Murphy is a not a good defender. He is foul prone and can't guard 3 men. He struggled guarding Nigel Hayes off the dribble imagine Murphy trying to guard Lebron James at small forward

Hmmm....let's see. Defensive Win Shares: 3rd in the Big Ten. Defensive Rating: 5th in the Big Ten. Defensive Box Plus/Minus: 10th in the Big Ten. Defensive Rebounds: 2nd in the Big Ten

But I guess your observation of Murphy struggling with Nigel Hayes in a game overrules all of that. Hayes is also two years older than Murphy and has played considerably more collegiate games particularly considering all of the post season games Hayes has played.

As far Lebron James, well, very few pros have guarded him successfully so he's hardly a representative example.

Top Bottom