Spring Practice Schedule; Two Practices Open to the Public

Not a reach at all.
PJF has stated part of the culture is bringing everyone together.
Having only 2 open practices goes against the bringing people together culture that he is trying to promote.

You're taking comments that have a very wide-range of interpretations and assigning specific meanings to them to promote an agenda. Good job!

Not a reach at all.
PJF has stated part of the culture is bringing everyone together.
Having only 2 open practices goes against the bringing people together culture that he is trying to promote.

Although this may be true and how I felt originally when I saw the schedule. Now that I've thought about it, it makes sense I guess. New coach, all new players (to the coach), all new coaching staff around the coach. They have a lot of things to work out and short time to do it as there aren't that many spring practices. Having even the smallest distraction might make some of those adjustments more difficult.

I also remember Fleck talking about having open practices, and "wanting people around the program."

But, it's his program now, and ultimately, it all comes down to results. If the Gophs win 8 or 9 games next year, no one will care about how many open practices they had.

If the Gophs win 5 games next year, no one will care about how many open practices they had.

If the Gophs win 10 or 11 games, Fleck could be sacrificing virgins at the 50-yard line during halftime and most people wouldn't care, as long as they win.

If thousands of people were attending the open practices and were getting in the way, I could see the distraction argument.
In previous years, when open practices were held, there were a few hundred people at the most. Can't see that being a distraction.
Not saying that every practice should be open to the public, but having a few more than two would be nice.

If the Gophs win 10 or 11 games, Fleck could be sacrificing virgins at the 50-yard line during halftime and most people wouldn't care, as long as they win.

I think 37 would have a problem with this even if we won the natty.

Can you better describe "sacrificing virgins" though? Sounds kinky.

If thousands of people were attending the open practices and were getting in the way, I could see the distraction argument.
In previous years, when open practices were held, there were a few hundred people at the most. Can't see that being a distraction.
Not saying that every practice should be open to the public, but having a few more than two would be nice.

Oh I completely agree, the couple hundred fans standing on the sidelines shouldn't be a major distraction. But I can understand how PJ may want a little more privacy in the practices with all the new moving parts. All the new coaches need to adjust to him too. Maybe it's just me hoping that this is a one year deal and more practices are open next year... or in the fall.

Oh I completely agree, the couple hundred fans standing on the sidelines shouldn't be a major distraction. But I can understand how PJ may want a little more privacy in the practices with all the new moving parts. All the new coaches need to adjust to him too. Maybe it's just me hoping that this is a one year deal and more practices are open next year... or in the fall.

I was thinking the same thing. This will be the first time he has ever worked with this group of players, many who were loyal to Claeys. No doubt there will be some tough lessons that are better handled behind closed doors. When Kill took over, I don't remember him having many (if any?) open practices during spring initially either.

I was thinking the same thing. This will be the first time he has ever worked with this group of players, many who were loyal to Claeys. No doubt there will be some tough lessons that are better handled behind closed doors. When Kill took over, I don't remember him having many (if any?) open practices during spring initially either.

Didn't Kill open every practice to the public his first year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't Kill open every practice to the public his first year?

Yes- all practices were open to the public and the media and Jerry even sent thank you e-mails to fans that attended!

He probably wants them closed because they’re going to be working on the flea-flicker, double reverse, and the ol’ hook n’ ladder play all month long and doesn’t want any spies hanging around. Plus, you certainly don't want anyone outside the team around when fine tuning the "the Annexation of Puerto Rico".

Yes- all practices were open to the public and the media and Jerry even sent thank you e-mails to fans that attended!

I must be special!!! (We all knew that... :clap: ) I have a handful of fancy thank you cards that came US Mail, signed by Jerry over the years for attending practices. You listening PJ? ha

For the past several years only a handful of practices have been open to the public. I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but I can't ever remember all practices being open, yet alone the 1st year when the brown loafer jerseys were in vogue. And yes, I have signed cards from Jerry as well.

For the past several years only a handful of practices have been open to the public. I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but I can't ever remember all practices being open, yet alone the 1st year when the brown loafer jerseys were in vogue. And yes, I have signed cards from Jerry as well.

2016:

University of Minnesota football coach Tracy Claeys announced today that seven of Minnesota's 15 spring practices will be open to the public. Minnesota's open practices are March 10, 24, 26 and 31 and April 2, 7, and 9. The rest of the practices, which will take place on March 1, 3, 5, 8, 22 and 29 and April 5 and 8, are closed to the public and media.

2015:

The Gophers released their spring football practice schedule. The first two sessions are closed to the public, but the final 13 are open for public viewing, including the April 11 spring game.

I would close them all. Have a very generic Spring game.

2016:

University of Minnesota football coach Tracy Claeys announced today that seven of Minnesota's 15 spring practices will be open to the public. Minnesota's open practices are March 10, 24, 26 and 31 and April 2, 7, and 9. The rest of the practices, which will take place on March 1, 3, 5, 8, 22 and 29 and April 5 and 8, are closed to the public and media.

2015:

The Gophers released their spring football practice schedule. The first two sessions are closed to the public, but the final 13 are open for public viewing, including the April 11 spring game.

I would close them all. Have a very generic Spring game.

It's only a handful- JG has seven fingers[emoji6]

Perhaps he wants to maximize attendance at the Spring Game?

Be interesting to see what kind of game/scrimmage they run given the health of the OL

I agree with this post

Although this may be true and how I felt originally when I saw the schedule. Now that I've thought about it, it makes sense I guess. New coach, all new players (to the coach), all new coaching staff around the coach. They have a lot of things to work out and short time to do it as there aren't that many spring practices. Having even the smallest distraction might make some of those adjustments more difficult.

Probably trying to establish tempo, and style. All of those things will be new to the players in how the new staff conducts and runs practices. To me that is why they would have less open practices this year, a lot of
things to be put in for a short period of time.

According to this, JK kept all of his practices open to the public each of his first 4 years.

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-an...he-public-to-watch-spring-practice/415274884/

I'm against open practices. Period. Why the fark would anyone want open practice, save loads of selfish reasons? I don't want any of our 14 opponents seeing a goddang thing.

You'll get over it.

I'm against open practices. Period. Why the fark would anyone want open practice, save loads of selfish reasons? I don't want any of our 14 opponents seeing a goddang thing.

You'll get over it.

Looks like you have never been to a practice.
In the Spring, the Team works mostly on basics and the skills of their position.
Kill has stated, the players work harder when the Fans are around.

In the Spring, the Team works mostly on basics and the skills of their position.

And that they goof off less to.

You'll get over it.

Paranoia run deep in your family? They're going to be doing the basics all spring introducing the offense and working on technique. I'm sure there'll be dozens of coaches in disguise watching with great interest

It's not like every opponent won't watch film on them all year long to pick up what they are doing offensively and defensively. The only game it would possibly help is in the opener and we shouldn't have any trouble with Buffalo even if they did know what we were going to do.
As others have said, spring practice is more about the basics. The fall is when they can close them.
If the NFL can have open practices for their entire training camp, don't see the harm in opening up half the spring practices to generate more fan interest in the program.

I have no interest in attending a practice but see you guys all at the spring game!

I do remember him touting his open practices. Probably someone told him it costs money to have open practices and this is what you get.

Paranoia run deep in your family? They're going to be doing the basics all spring introducing the offense and working on technique. I'm sure there'll be dozens of coaches in disguise watching with great interest

Nope, I don't live in Oregon.

If you don't think there are people representing other teams at likely many open practices, you're cracked.

Only about 20, so not many. It's fun.

The players don't work any harder. We now know Kill was full of sh!t 50%of the time. I'll just call BS on this one and we'll move on.

Nope, I don't live in Oregon.

If you don't think there are people representing other teams at likely many open practices, you're cracked.

Only about 20, so not many. It's fun.

The players don't work any harder. We now know Kill was full of sh!t 50%of the time. I'll just call BS on this one and we'll move on.

What coach isn't?

Top Bottom