Brian Murphy: End of an era as Gophers’ Dick Jonckowski makes final mic drop

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Murphy:

He shook more hands, posed for a few pictures, grabbed his phone and picked up where he left off on the radio as a sports anchor led him through the concourse and student section for a live shot.

Cancer-free for two years after beating back Stage 4 non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Jonckowski will continue his duties as Gophers baseball public address announcer at Siebert Field.

He ticked off a few of his favorite basketball players and memories, from Bobby Jackson, Willie Burton and Sam Jacobson to the triple-overtime victory over Iowa in 1994 that left him hyperventilating on his back on the scorer’s table.

“Everyone thought I had a heart attack, I got into it as much as the players and the fans did,” he said.

The silence will be deafening.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/0...gophers-dick-jonckowski-makes-final-mic-drop/

Go Gophers!!

“Jules was trying to make an announcement one time and just said, ‘Would the band please shut up?’ Now how long would I have lasted if I did that?” Jonckowski said.

Strangely, he essentially did just that. With the Gophers storming back and taking the lead in an important game years ago, the band started playing the Rouser during a time out. Crowd was going nuts. Dick started shouting over the PA for everyone to be quiet including the band. He then proceeded to have everyone applaud and wish Ted Robinson (then calling games with Dutcher) best of luck on his next job.

It killed the mood. We lost the momentum and game.

Dick lost me that day and I haven't cared for him since.

“Jules was trying to make an announcement one time and just said, ‘Would the band please shut up?’ Now how long would I have lasted if I did that?” Jonckowski said.

Strangely, he essentially did just that. With the Gophers storming back and taking the lead in an important game years ago, the band started playing the Rouser during a time out. Crowd was going nuts. Dick started shouting over the PA for everyone to be quiet including the band. He then proceeded to have everyone applaud and wish Ted Robinson (then calling games with Dutcher) best of luck on his next job.

It killed the mood. We lost the momentum and game.

Dick lost me that day and I haven't cared for him since.

Ugh. I'm not saying that wasn't a mistake, but he was trying to give tribute/respect to quality announcer who was moving on. Are you seriously blaming him for the loss? Have you ever spoken to the man? He's a one of a kind and an absolute treasure.

If I were to use your logic, I'd say that you lost me with that comment and I will no longer care for you either. Instead, I'll just say I disagree with the premise and timing of your post and assume that it doesn't make you a bad person. I'd probably really like you if I ever got a chance to meet you face to face.

I called into Sid's show the day after than incident (only other time I called into Sid's show was when Clem tried to claim that winning a game at the Metrodome was a "road" win). I got Sid all riled up.

I'll admit that Dick was probably, for me, a victim of changing times. I grew up with Jules. I'm prefer the times when the non-basketball entertainment was limited to the pep band, the cheerleaders and Goldy. I miss the giant Goldy during introductions. I miss alternating introductions.

When Dick took over the chair, that's when a lot more advertising started creeping in. Not that it's his fault. But the pep band used to play a LOT more. Now we have pre-recorded music much of the time. Many of the traditional school songs are no longer played. Many of the time outs are now commercials.

Right or wrong, I associate a lot of that with Dick because it was his voice over the top of all of it, and that makes me long for the old days.

But the day that Dick killed the momentum really sticks out in my mind...

I read the article today in the Pioneer Planet on Dick. It didn't say who his replacement was going to be. Have they determined that yet? (will this person also have a 30-50 year run like the previous two announcers?!)

I assumed it was going to be the guy who's been doing half of his announcing during timeouts for the last few years. Same dude that does football.

Or maybe his son. Didn't he sit in for him a lot when he was sick a few years back?

I assumed it was going to be the guy who's been doing half of his announcing during timeouts for the last few years. Same dude that does football.

Or maybe his son. Didn't he sit in for him a lot when he was sick a few years back?

That guy has a BOOOMING voice, he'd be a great replacement.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom