Who likes Iowa??

I don't.

Someone on the daily gopher nailed it. I'm cheering AGAINST wisconsin. That doesn't mean I'm cheering for Iowa

Wisconsin is reeling right now. One of last 5. 25 points at half against iowa at home.

If ever there was a time to play them...

They end the season vs PSU and if they finish 18-8 in conference play and find a way to reach the semi finals in BTT i think they have a chance at making the NCAAs. I've been doing lots of studying the resumes of this year's bubble teams and with a win at Wisconsin gives Iowa more quality wins than lots of their bubble brothers.

If Wisconsin loses I think it reduces our chances of winning their and if we do beat them their RPI might slip into the 40s if they don't win a game in the BTT. They're currently 30, so slipping in to the 40s is a little extreme considering a loss vs Gophs drops them 3 spots tops. Gophers are a power team. Without them MSU is preparing for the NIT.

Lunardi on ESPN tonight said Wisconsin is a no lose game for the Gophers; win on the road boosts them and a loss on the road against them doesn't hurt us

They end the season vs PSU and if they finish 18-8 in conference play and find a way to reach the semi finals in BTT i think they have a chance at making the NCAAs. I've been doing lots of studying the resumes of this year's bubble teams and with a win at Wisconsin gives Iowa more quality wins than lots of their bubble brothers.

If Wisconsin loses I think it reduces our chances of winning their and if we do beat them their RPI might slip into the 40s if they don't win a game in the BTT. They're currently 30, so slipping in to the 40s is a little extreme considering a loss vs Gophs drops them 3 spots tops. Gophers are a power team. Without them MSU is preparing for the NIT.

Huh? Assuming you're talking about iowa and mean 10-8

I defer to SS for all things NCAA resume. But their RPI is 90 right now. Not sure how far they can move up - maybe a RPI in the 60's??? No idea on their advanced metrics

Huh? Assuming you're talking about iowa and mean 10-8

I defer to SS for all things NCAA resume. But their RPI is 90 right now. Not sure how far they can move up - maybe a RPI in the 60's??? No idea on their advanced metrics

Always cheering against WI. in everything.

When you take the time to do independent research you learn that what Lunardi does isn't nearly as impressive as I once thought.

It's not like the committee sits down and seeds all the teams based on analysis gathered from watching hundreds of hours of game tape and breaking down talent and judging who the best teams really are. It's a numbers game. Dig up the data, compare things and suddenly the massive grey area becomes much more black and white. If Gophers end up worse than a 6 seed it's because we don't win again AND some teams behind us catch fire.

Iowa has a really lowa RPI yet. (RPI #93)

Illinois is the other team also now on the radar. (RPI #56)

Iowa would need to win tonight and also against Penn St.
Then in BTT, they would need to win against a team like Indiana, then a team like Wisconsin / Minnesota, then another #2 or #3 Big Ten team, and then losing in the finals would put them mid-50's for RPI which is bubble range.
So they could have a ticket without winning the BTT, but it's really thin.

Illinois is borderline.
A win over Rutgers is better than any loss, but isn't going to move a needle too much. A couple BTT wins should nudge them into the tourney.

If Illinois and Iowa would make it, that would be 9 teams from the Big Ten.

When you take the time to do independent research you learn that what Lunardi does isn't nearly as impressive as I once thought.

It's not like the committee sits down and seeds all the teams based on analysis gathered from watching hundreds of hours of game tape and breaking down talent and judging who the best teams really are. It's a numbers game. Dig up the data, compare things and suddenly the massive grey area becomes much more black and white. If Gophers end up worse than a 6 seed it's because we don't win again AND some teams behind us catch fire.

dunno; will defer to Selection Sunday as ESPN tends to downgrade the Big10 based upon their conference loyalties

I'd prefer to see Wisconsin win here. I just don't see the Badgers losing 6 in a row. I am more interested in us beating them and staying hot than whether or not we finish ahead of the Badgers. I think there is a better chance that we beat then if they beat Iowa tonight.

It's not rocket science.

Your top 25 teams, provided their RPI doesn't suck, are usually seeds 1-6.
SMU missed one year, but their RPI was very low that year... 60's maybe.

After you get through the top vote getters, draw a line through RPI 1-30. Any big conference teams that didn't get seeded yet? Okay, seed them next.
Go take RPI teams 30-40 now and do the same with the power 6 teams. Seed those and make sure conference teams aren't playing each other.
Now how many spots do you have left?

Let's look at RPI 40-50 and all of our favorite teams at 50-60 and any small conference teams that are top 30. Fill the next spots.

Got enough? No. Okay, let's review the next 8-10 schools, look at their top 50 records, who did they beat, etc. Let's place those final handful of openings.

I'd prefer to see Wisconsin win here. I just don't see the Badgers losing 6 in a row. I am more interested in us beating them and staying hot than whether or not we finish ahead of the Badgers. I think there is a better chance that we beat then if they beat Iowa tonight.

Nah, much rather prefer they lose as much momentum as possible going into the game with us. Team will be in a worse mood, less excited, fans may not be as raucous etc.

Past performance does not affect future results... I don't think.

I hope Iowa gets into the NCAA tourney, as long as they don't beat us in the B1G tourney to do it. Maybe they can lose to us in the Title game? Why do I want Iowa in the NCAA tourney? Because they are young and a deep run in the NIT tourney just gives them more experience and confidence going into next season, whereas a 1st round exit out of the NCAA tourney gives them less experience and less confidence.

Otherwise I don't honestly care. Hate both Iowa and Wisconsin, and we'll beat Wisconsin whether they win or lose to Iowa. So I don't care. I also don't care if we end up as the #2 or #3 seed, as long as we keep winning.

Didn't care much going in, but certainly enjoyed watching Bucky pee down its leg.

Wisconsin with the size 1 neck in crunch time. [emoji133]

Hell yeah! I'm an Iowa fan tonight!

Fantastic!

Wisconsin loses in a very demoralizing way after blowing an 8 point lead. Best possible outcome to give Minnesota the best chance to win. They've now lost 5 of their last 6, the last one in demoralizing fashion and the gophers are red hot. Hopefully they are in the dumps when we come to town on Saturday.

Top Bottom