Tubby and Memphis have lost 4 straight in bad conference

A score like that is a sign of players quitting on a coach. Ouch. Memphis has more talent than that.
I thought Memphis was a crazy athletic team the couple times I watched them. Long and strong. That's insane that they lost like that.

Tubby has long been a good, but far-overrated coach.

He hasn't even been good since Kentucky other than a few random years here and there. Just cashing the paychecks...

Memphis Commercial Appeal: Honeymoon over for Tubby

SMU 103, Memphis 62.

No, I am not making that up.

It was the worst Memphis loss since 1947, when Delta State beat the Tigers, 76-35. And, yes, it was the end of the honeymoon for Memphis coach Tubby Smith. If he ever had one in the first place.

I’m not persuaded that he did, not the way most new coaches do. Some of this was because of the initial skepticism that Smith was the right fit for the job. Some of it was the work of Smith himself.

He didn’t seem to give a flip about promoting the program. He didn’t manage to bring in graduate transfers who could really bolster his shorthanded team. And his first real season of recruiting has so far produced a class that is ranked just 57th in the country by 247 Sports.

So Memphis fans comforted themselves by repeating the positive things you always hear about Smith. You know how they go.

He’s a Hall of Fame coach.

He’s won everywhere he’s been.

He’'ll take lesser players and coach ‘em up.

Which gets us to Saturday’s regular-season finale against SMU, a game that nobody expected Memphis to win. But to lose by 41? The worst loss for the program in 70 years? At least it wasn’t as bad as 1928, when Memphis lost to the Elks Club, 79-30.

But it was nearly that bad. I bet the Elks Club loss wasn't on national TV. And what was the response of the man who is supposed to coach ‘em up?

“What are you supposed to do?” Smith told The Commercial Appeal's Mark Giannotto. “Nothing was working. That’s what it was. What can you do?”

It was a dispiriting shrug of the shoulders from a guy who is supposed to make up for his recruiting and public relations weaknesses with unrelenting coaching competence.

So, naturally, over on Twitter, Tiger fans were already asking if it’s too early to fire Smith.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto.../03/04/calkins-honeymoon-over-tubby/98749224/

Go Gophers!!

Tubby was just not anything more than an adequate coach in today's modern era of college basketball. His stagnant offensive system was from the Stone Age. His inability to adjust his system to fit his players' strengths was frustrating. The late-season letdown became tradition as his teams became worn down and their tendencies obvious to opposing coaches. His lukewarm energy brought little excitement to the program and poor recruiting was the consequence. He was a great, great man for whom I have a great deal of respect. I can only dream for my kids to be coached by someone with as much character as Tubby Smith. But the fact is that his reputation has been sustained by a national championship won with Rick Pitino's players, and a string of conference championships in the down SEC of the early 2000's. If you are expecting anything more than perpetual averageness, Tubby Smith is not who you want to hire as your head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was shocked when Memphis made that move; they obviously didn't do their research. Tubby has been mailing it in since the Kentucky National Championship; not sure what it is about him that makes that okay in his eyes

I was shocked when Memphis made that move; they obviously didn't do their research. Tubby has been mailing it in since the Kentucky National Championship; not sure what it is about him that makes that okay in his eyes
Same. I actually think Tubby should have stayed in Lubbock, they never would have fired him, exactly what he's been looking for since UK. He's going to be out on the street before he knows it in Memphis, they have much higher standards. He should think about retiring when it does happen.

Same. I actually think Tubby should have stayed in Lubbock, they never would have fired him, exactly what he's been looking for since UK. He's going to be out on the street before he knows it in Memphis, they have much higher standards. He should think about retiring when it does happen.

Will they actually fire him though any time soon given that they did such crappy research before hiring him? They have higher standards but look at how much hand wringing we saw here. Some people on this board are still convinced that his lazy butt shouldn't have been fired. Mega tongue got this one right in between sending pervy texts to various women.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It's gotten so bad in Memphis that Jeb Bush actually called Tubby low energy...wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my favorite link - "these are Josh Pastner's Players, Give Tubby some time" http://csnbbs.com/thread-812007.html

Most are ready to be done with him already. Does this sound familiar?

From the thread: "I'm not trying to pile on, and may take some heat for this post but I just cant get on the Tubster Express. Sorry but I don't think patience with Tubby isn't going to change things. The bottom appears about ready to fall out of Tiger basketball as long as Tubby keeps running on fumes..

Tubby appears to be on cruise control, no fire, no motivation, minimal coaching, minimal recruiting, nepotism, worst defeats in modern history where we give minimal effort. (All a reflection of the coach) This is looking like it may wind up as the worst BB coaching hire in recent memory at Memphis.

Meanwhile we are paying a Coach, his son and his buddies NBA money. Tubby should be delivering so much more. Very, very disappointed after 40+ years of being a die hard Tiger fan, and, as bad as Pastner was, he at least had passion. Tubby appears better suited at this point in life for playing dominoes or checkers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

I can't remember feeling more dismal about a Tiger team at the end of a season than I do with this years team and staff. I feel pretty safe in saying Tubby has lost his mojo. We lost our last two games by 70+ points. No excuses for those type defeats back to back to close a season.

If I'm wrong or short sighted I do apologize. I like Tubby and had hoped he would hit the ground here running, but it looks like he just hit the ground. I'm very, very disappointed now and just don't think he has the fire anymore.

Hopefully I'm wrong, if so I apologize to Coach Smith and his backers now. I really hope I'm wrong but it looks more like we hired Snuffy Smith. (I know its tacky, sorry) "

Here's my favorite link - "these are Josh Pastner's Players, Give Tubby some time" http://csnbbs.com/thread-812007.html

Most are ready to be done with him already. Does this sound familiar?

From the thread: "I'm not trying to pile on, and may take some heat for this post but I just cant get on the Tubster Express. Sorry but I don't think patience with Tubby isn't going to change things. The bottom appears about ready to fall out of Tiger basketball as long as Tubby keeps running on fumes..

Tubby appears to be on cruise control, no fire, no motivation, minimal coaching, minimal recruiting, nepotism, worst defeats in modern history where we give minimal effort. (All a reflection of the coach) This is looking like it may wind up as the worst BB coaching hire in recent memory at Memphis.

Meanwhile we are paying a Coach, his son and his buddies NBA money. Tubby should be delivering so much more. Very, very disappointed after 40+ years of being a die hard Tiger fan, and, as bad as Pastner was, he at least had passion. Tubby appears better suited at this point in life for playing dominoes or checkers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

I can't remember feeling more dismal about a Tiger team at the end of a season than I do with this years team and staff. I feel pretty safe in saying Tubby has lost his mojo. We lost our last two games by 70+ points. No excuses for those type defeats back to back to close a season.

If I'm wrong or short sighted I do apologize. I like Tubby and had hoped he would hit the ground here running, but it looks like he just hit the ground. I'm very, very disappointed now and just don't think he has the fire anymore.

Hopefully I'm wrong, if so I apologize to Coach Smith and his backers now. I really hope I'm wrong but it looks more like we hired Snuffy Smith. (I know its tacky, sorry) "

They're ripping the Tubby hire last May on that thread; LOL. Smart bball fans; the AD should be fired for this trainwreck exacerbated by Tubby's agent's annual "Tubby is being pursued by" blah blah blah nonsense. Great man in real life but not so much in basketball; but from now on his nickname needs to be changed from Tubby to either "Low Energy" or "Lazy Ass"

Top Bottom