Rooting for the Illinois teams tonight!

IL is picked to win by 2

Illinois beating MSU is really the big one tonight.
It would be a nice win.

Not sure of the benefit of NW over MICH though.
They are both a game back minus a tiebreaker as well.

Illinois beating MSU is really the big one tonight.
It would be a nice win.

Maybe. If MSU loses tonight but goes on to beat Maryland in East Lansing in their regular season finale (which seems possible or even probable given how those teams have played lately and the location of the game), it knocks us out of the top 4 if we don't win out.

Maybe. If MSU loses tonight but goes on to beat Maryland in East Lansing in their regular season finale (which seems possible or even probable given how those teams have played lately and the location of the game), it knocks us out of the top 4 if we don't win out.

That was kind of my thought as well. If we think Michigan St. is going to beat Maryland, we want them to win tonight as well

I would feel safer if each of them (Michigan and NW) lost additional game since I have not evaluated multi team tiebreakers that include either of them.

Northwestern will almost certainly lose against Purdue, so I'd like to see them win today.

I would feel safer if each of them lost additional game since I have not evaluated multi team tiebreakers that include either of them.

Northwestern will almost certainly lose against Purdue, so I'd like to see them win today.

Michigan St. being in a tiebreaker with MN = bad news for MN for seeding in the BTT

From another perspective Northwestern is currently sitting at 50 RPI so if they lose they likely fall out of top 50. Michigan is at like 46 so if they lose they may stay just afloat.

Illinois is around 56 in RPI so a win for them would inch them closer to us having another top 50 RPI win.

Rooting for Michigan State to win tonight so that we have a better chance of securing a top four seed rather than hoping for the scenario where we get the number two seed reminds me of the final scene in Tin Cup where Don Johnson lays up to secure second rather than going for the win.

I would feel safer if each of them (Michigan and NW) lost additional game since I have not evaluated multi team tiebreakers that include either of them.

If we're in a three-way tie with Michigan and Maryland, we get the four seed. A three-way tie with Northwestern and Maryland, same. The only way we get bumped is if we're in a tie with MSU.

Rooting for Michigan State to win tonight so that we have a better chance of securing a top four seed rather than hoping for the scenario where we get the number two seed reminds me of the final scene in Tin Cup where Don Johnson lays up to secure second rather than going for the win.

Except MN doesn't have a chance at the win, Purdue already clinched that.

I am not completely getting this. I know any tie with Sparty hoses us with them, but in the distinct possibility of a three way tie including Maryland, do we lose tiebreakers to them, too?

I am not completely getting this. I know any tie with Sparty hoses us with them, but in the distinct possibility of a three way tie including Maryland, do we lose tiebreakers to them, too?

Any tie with Sparty hoses us against *everyone* in that tie. When 3 or more teams are tied, you compare records in all games among those teams.

Do we clinch the #2 seed by winning our last two games, and one Michigan State loss?

If we're in a three-way tie with Michigan and Maryland, we get the four seed. A three-way tie with Northwestern and Maryland, same. The only way we get bumped is if we're in a tie with MSU.

Right, so how about a 5-way tie with us, Michigan, Northwestern, Maryland and MSU? How about a 4-way tie with any of those including MSU?

Assuming we go 1-1 in the last 2, we need Michigan St. to either go 0-2 or 2-0 and we will get the double bye. Bttom line is we don't want to finish tied with Michigan State if we go 1-1.

We would lose any 3-way if Michigan State is part of it I believe. It is a combined record of the multiple teams tied against each other, so our 0-2 record against MSU really hurts us.

Right, so how about a 5-way tie with us, Michigan, Northwestern, Maryland and MSU? How about a 4-way tie with any of those including MSU?

I don't believe their is a scenario where a 5 way tie can occur.

I don't believe their is a scenario where a 5 way tie can occur.

This could happen.

1. Purdue (14 - 4)
2. Michigan State (11 - 7) Defeated Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, and Michigan based on round-robin record.
3. Wisconsin (11 - 7) Defeated Minnesota, Maryland, and Michigan and lost to Michigan State based on round-robin record.
4. Minnesota (11 - 7) Defeated Maryland and Michigan and lost to Michigan State and Wisconsin based on round-robin record.
5. Maryland (11 - 7) Defeated Michigan and lost to Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota based on round-robin record.
6. Michigan (11 - 7) Lost to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Maryland based on round-robin record.

Unlikely though. Winners this week = Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa
Winners this weekend = Michigan St, Michigan, Minnesota

I'm not sure that 5-way tie is possible. Maryland will either end up 11-7 or 12-6, and both Michigan and Northwestern cannot finish at 11-7 because they play each other.

MSU gets 2, Minnesota gets 3 if MSU, Minnesota, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Northwestern tie at 11-7.

MSU wins out in any 4-way tie scenario as far as I can tell.

If it's a four-way tie at 11-7 between MSU, Maryland, Michigan and Minnesota, the Gophers will have the five seed (MSU three, Maryland four).

If it's a four-way tie at 11-7 between MSU, Maryland, Northwestern and Minnesota, the Gophers will have the five seed (MSU three, Maryland four).

If it's a 4-way tie at 11-7 between MSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Maryland, Gophers get the four seed (MSU two, Wisconsin three).

We can't finish in a 5 way tie, Michigan and Northwestern are playing each other tonight. The loser will have their 8th loss. Marlyand can't get an 8th loss.

We'd finish ahead of Michigan or Northwestern in the 4 way tie scenario, but behind Maryland and Michigan St, so 5th in conference

The double by is the thing and MSU going 2-0 and us winning vs Nebraska is the easiest way to get there.

So, GO SPARTY!!!!!

Everyone saying there can't be a 5-way tie. See above...

Everyone saying there can't be a 5-way tie. See above...

Right - there couldn't be a 5 way tie the way you laid it out, with Michigan and Northwestern involved. There can be a 5 way tie the way gopher7 laid it out, with Wisconsin being involved instead of Northwestern or Michigan

Sure, I guess. But I'd much rather get #4 than #5

Is this true? The 5 see plays the winner of the 12/13 game and then plays the 4 seed. So if we get the 5 seed we should win that game and move on to play the 4 seed.
1 extra game makes us more tired but our team is young and that shouldn't matter as much.

So let's say we win out, MSU wins out and Wisky wins their next game. We all finish 12-3 but we lose all the tie-breakers and get the 4 seed.

If we win out, Maryland wins out and Wisky wins the next. We all finish 12-3 and we get the #2 seed, I think.

We can only get the 5 seed if we go 1-1 and tie with MSU. And as I said, the 5 seed wouldn't be all that bad!

Therefore, I'm cheering for Michigan and Illinois tonight because I like the fact Northwestern has never made the tournament and I hate Izzo and Michigan State.

Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: This is for Venturi who thinks I should lay up.
Romeo: What does he know? He only won this tournament before you were born.

Do we clinch the #2 seed by winning our last two games, and one Michigan State loss?

In a 3-way tie for 2nd with Wisconsin and Maryland, Wisconsin (2-1) gets #2, Minnesota (2-2) gets #3 and Maryland (1-2) gets #4.

Thus why I'm hoping for MSU to lose today and then beat Maryland.

Is this true? The 5 see plays the winner of the 12/13 game and then plays the 4 seed. So if we get the 5 seed we should win that game and move on to play the 4 seed.
1 extra game makes us more tired but our team is young and that shouldn't matter as much.

So let's say we win out, MSU wins out and Wisky wins their next game. We all finish 12-3 but we lose all the tie-breakers and get the 4 seed.

If we win out, Maryland wins out and Wisky wins the next. We all finish 12-3 and we get the #2 seed, I think.

We can only get the 5 seed if we go 1-1 and tie with MSU. And as I said, the 5 seed wouldn't be all that bad!

Therefore, I'm cheering for Michigan and Illinois tonight because I like the fact Northwestern has never made the tournament and I hate Izzo and Michigan State.

Truthfully I probably care less about the double bye than most, but it is 1 extra day of rest and one less game to win to win the BTT. You still have to play that 4 seed on Friday (if you can beat the 12/13)... why mess around with that 12/13 game, I dont see how winning that game improves seed for ncaa tournament at all, can only hurt it.

Top Bottom