New coach

samloupete

True Gold
Reaction score
Having a degree from the U I certainly know how liberal the school is, but much like Northwestern, Ohio State and Connecticut is it time for a male women's coach?

I don't think male or female makes a difference. Plain and simple, we need a new coach. We need to do an actual national search instead of whatever Teague did when he picked Marlene for the job. I see great coaches of both genders in the womens game. Males such as Jeff Walz(Louisville) and Geno(UConn) to name two and for females I look at Brenda Freese(Maryland), Dawn Staley(south Carolina), Karen Aston(texas) and Muffit McGraw(Notre Dame). I don't think either gender is more prepared or better at building up a program. I saw build up simply cause Marlene came into a ready made NCAA tournament team, got lucky by striking gold with Shea Kelley and has turned it into a team that needs a miracle to make the WNIT. Personally, my vote was and will always be to give Niel Ivey from Notre Dame. She is ready to show what she can do as a headcoach IMO

Having a degree from the U I certainly know how liberal the school is, but much like Northwestern, Ohio State and Connecticut is it time for a male women's coach?

I can't think of a reason having a Y chromosome should be a requirement let alone THE requirement. Virginia Tech (Dennis Wolff) and Arkansas (Jimmy Dykes) seemingly used this criteria. In Wolff's case it was a short lived farce and in Dykes case it's an ongoing farce.

Can we save this discussion until spring of 2018, when there will actually be an opening.

I would be surprised of Stollings got the gate this year.

I don't think male or female makes a difference. Plain and simple, we need a new coach. We need to do an actual national search instead of whatever Teague did when he picked Marlene for the job. I see great coaches of both genders in the womens game. Males such as Jeff Walz(Louisville) and Geno(UConn) to name two and for females I look at Brenda Freese(Maryland), Dawn Staley(south Carolina), Karen Aston(texas) and Muffit McGraw(Notre Dame). I don't think either gender is more prepared or better at building up a program. I saw build up simply cause Marlene came into a ready made NCAA tournament team, got lucky by striking gold with Shea Kelley and has turned it into a team that needs a miracle to make the WNIT. Personally, my vote was and will always be to give Niel Ivey from Notre Dame. She is ready to show what she can do as a headcoach IMO

I completely agree on Nile Ivey ! I forwarded her name and a few others to Coyle. Also, agree the most likely scenario is no change this year.

I thought we already had a "we need a new coach" thread

I thought we already had a "we need a new coach" thread

Guess it shows the urgency of seeking a new coach.Shades.... I've only seen about 7-8 games so I'm not the authority you and Iggy are. But as a former player, I see things that just don't mesh.

No, Stollings isn't gone. But there is a new assistant coach (and did I miss Tamisha Augistin's departure? She seems to have been expunged from the Gopher site):
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/...uptured achilles and missed a spate of games.

Top Bottom