Pro Day now only for Gopher players?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Anyone know why Fleck closed Pro Day to include only Gopher players? In the past the U's Pro Day included other prospects (read: Minnesota kids) from other Minnesota schools? Just curious.

Pro Day is something the U football program hosts, and pays for. I am just fine only having Gopher players benefit from something their program funds.

Allowing other area players is a distraction from the Gopher players. Stupid idea to open it to others. I can only imagine that it was done to attract more NFL scouts to a larger event. If the Gophers have legitimate pro prospects competing, it was a bad idea to open it up to others.

Allowing other area players is a distraction from the Gopher players. Stupid idea to open it to others. I can only imagine that it was done to attract more NFL scouts to a larger event. If the Gophers have legitimate pro prospects competing, it was a bad idea to open it up to others.

I think most if not all pro days are semi regional and allow other players....

I think most if not all pro days are semi regional and allow other players....
I'm almost certain that is not true. Some pro days are televised by the NFL Network. I've never seen outsiders participating in those televised events.
The NFL may request that specific area players of interest (like FCS program players that don't have a pro day) are allowed to join a school's pro day, and that would certainly makes sense for the pro day school to permit b/c it would add a player of NFL interest and therefore draw more scout interest.
The Gophers allowed almost 100 area players to participate in their pro day. The NFL times all of their 40's and selects a few of that 100 that are allowed to complete the rest of the pro day with Gopher players. It's tedious and is distracting to the players that it should focus on, the pro day school's athletes.

I'm almost certain that is not true. Some pro days are televised by the NFL Network. I've never seen outsiders participating in those televised events.
The NFL may request that specific area players of interest (like FCS program players that don't have a pro day) are allowed to join a school's pro day, and that would certainly makes sense for the pro day school to permit b/c it would add a player of NFL interest and therefore draw more scout interest.
The Gophers allowed almost 100 area players to participate in their pro day. The NFL times all of their 40's and selects a few of that 100 that are allowed to complete the rest of the pro day with Gopher players. It's tedious and is distracting to the players that it should focus on, the pro day school's athletes.

I doubt that. That makes no sense from a practical standpoint, and the whole distracting thing is dumb too, if you're distracted because someone from Nowhere College is at your pro day.... you would probabbly be distracted game time, or by birds flying by...

Just a quick google result:

The large school has to agree to let the small school players work out but in most cases it’s not a problem.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-pro-days/

I thought that the other players were brought if requested by scouts and seen as legit pro prospects. The more pro prospects, the more pro scouts to see Gophers. Maybe there aren't any out-state pro prospects this year.

It is definitely the slow period.

I doubt that. That makes no sense from a practical standpoint, and the whole distracting thing is dumb too, if you're distracted because someone from Nowhere College is at your pro day.... you would probabbly be distracted game time, or by birds flying by...

Just a quick google result:

The large school has to agree to let the small school players work out but in most cases it’s not a problem.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-pro-days/
That is a nice article on the pro day and the last paragraph confirms everything that I said. The large school must give its permission to allow specific athletes from small schools, but it makes sense to allow a few athletes of particular NFL interest b/c it adds to the number of scouts and their interest. That's what I said before you provided the article.
That article also says that the other small school players may be asked to wait until after the big school has completed their pro day. Why do you suppose that is? B/c keeping track of a lot of players going at one time in multiple stations makes it very difficult for pro scouts to focus on just a few athletes. And is distracting. Not to the players, but the scouts.
Typically, each team sends one scout to a pro day event. The scouts are involved in timing and measuring event results. If a scout is at the 40, he can't watch a player competing at the broad jump, and so on. The more players, the less ability to focus on each player.
As I said, the Gophers allowed nearly 100 athletes to participate in the past. 40 times were used as a hurdle to see who would continue. That process takes a long time. So a player runs his 40s and waits for more than an hour to complete his next event after the cut is made. That's not good. Then, as I said, the events and scouts are spread out while athletes complete the cycle of events, and scouts aren't able to focus on just the Gopher players.
Adding a few small school NFL prospects is no big deal and probably good, but adding large numbers as the Gophers have allowed in the past is dumb.

So there must be at least 50 pro days through out the country?

That is a nice article on the pro day and the last paragraph confirms everything that I said. The large school must give its permission to allow specific athletes from small schools, but it makes sense to allow a few athletes of particular NFL interest b/c it adds to the number of scouts and their interest. That's what I said before you provided the article.
That article also says that the other small school players may be asked to wait until after the big school has completed their pro day. Why do you suppose that is? B/c keeping track of a lot of players going at one time in multiple stations makes it very difficult for pro scouts to focus on just a few athletes. And is distracting. Not to the players, but the scouts.
Typically, each team sends one scout to a pro day event. The scouts are involved in timing and measuring event results. If a scout is at the 40, he can't watch a player competing at the broad jump, and so on. The more players, the less ability to focus on each player.
As I said, the Gophers allowed nearly 100 athletes to participate in the past. 40 times were used as a hurdle to see who would continue. That process takes a long time. So a player runs his 40s and waits for more than an hour to complete his next event after the cut is made. That's not good. Then, as I said, the events and scouts are spread out while athletes complete the cycle of events, and scouts aren't able to focus on just the Gopher players.
Adding a few small school NFL prospects is no big deal and probably good, but adding large numbers as the Gophers have allowed in the past is dumb.

Don't put your back out man... http://i.imgur.com/pqhl4R1.jpg

So there must be at least 50 pro days through out the country?
Probably more like 90 or more. Every P5 program, many G5's, and some FCS programs.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom