ESPN's Bennett: Minnesota "likely a team that will have to scrap for a bowl bid."

A lot depends on those first couple and the quarterback position.
Terrible QB play early isn't out of the question and would pretty much assure close games against Oregon State and MTSU.

You drop both of those, and struggle to get a bowl game is right.
Drop one, and I expect 5-7 or 6-6
Win both and I think between 6-6 and 10-2 (because who knows what will happen).

I personally expect 6 or 7 games to be won. I won't be that happy about it and I won't be that mad about it.

6 or 7 seems to me to be emphasizing the downside risk. If I had to pick an midpoint right now, I'd say something like 7.5 wins with a two game swing either way as a reasonable way of defining where the tails of the distribution start... So very little chance of 5 or 10 wins, and highest chance of 7-8 wins.

6 or 7 seems to me to be emphasizing the downside risk. If I had to pick an midpoint right now, I'd say something like 7.5 wins with a two game swing either way as a reasonable way of defining where the tails of the distribution start... So very little chance of 5 or 10 wins, and highest chance of 7-8 wins.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. If I were on the Price is Right and had to guess the win total without going over I would guess 7. Someone else could guess 9 or 10 and be right, but that's what I would guess. But if we have a WR step up and good QB play and the defense is as dominant as last year, could see that 9-10 win range being realistic. Right now those areas are question marks. As much as the Spring game is fairly meaningless since they run the most vanilla offense/defense ever (assuming that won't change), it'll still be interesting to see if the players have adapted well to the new systems, if the QB play and WR play is good, if the OL looks solid, etc. After that I reserve the right to adjust my win total. :)

And there's lot of anecdotal evidence of coaches that didn't out perform their predecessors. So what?
How about this, since Lou Holtz, every Gopher head coach has either only matched their predecessors win total or fell short. No new Gopher head coach has exceeded the win total of their predecessor in those years. You'll probably say TC did, but TC had a 2-4 record in 2015 to JK's 4-3 record. Both being responsible for 2015 makes the comparison difficult.
So Gutekunst, Wacker, Mason, Brewster, and Kill all failed to exceed their predecessors win total at Minnesota, which is a much better comparison.
Double check your facts
Jeff Horton went 2-3 after Brew was fired with 1-6 record in 2010
Jerry kill went 3-9 in 2011

2 examples where new coach outperformed the previous [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Double check your facts
Jeff Horton went 2-3 after Brew was fired with 1-6 record in 2010
Jerry kill went 3-9 in 2011

2 examples where new coach outperformed the previous [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Horton was .500 in trophy games.... 1.000 if you don't care about the bell...

How is digress a good word choice? What does it even mean in this context? That Minnesota is the team most likely to start playing basketball during a game?

The word you were both looking for, Brian, is "regress." Regress. A professional journalist should know what the word digress means, not reinforce its incorrect usage in his response.

Aside from that, I love how he thinks that Minnesota will "digress," while MSU will bounce back, yet offers no rationale for the latter.

I'm hoping he was being sarcastic w the "good word choice" comment... maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. 6 or 7, if they figure out quarterback quickly 7 more likely than 6. If they drop a non conference game 6 more likely than 7

Close to half the new HC's in the past several years have posted more wins in their first year than the previous year. It's been posted multiple times and one poster actually took the time to put all the data in a post on a different thread.

Close to half means less than half?

In this post, yes. Grammer police or just being a Richard? WTF.
That would actually be Grammar police. From the Spelling police. Not to be a Richard.

Top Bottom