Report says P.J. Fleck illegally contacted former player; #Gophers say coach...

I think the trib will take any chance it can get to knock the Gophers down. They are the Vikings servants & will always have an agenda to keep the Gophers in their place, as 2nd fiddle to the Vikings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm sure Vikings season ticket renewals will spike today on this news. :rolleyes:

Recap of this thread:

If you like Fleck: "this is no big deal"

If you're not sold on Fleck: "this doesn't surprise me"

If you're actually logical about opinion formation: "let's wait and see"
Well, I've been accused of being a Fleck lover. And though I don't consider this a big deal, it is an unforced error to let a story like this steal the momentum that he created.
It will likely go away and be forgotten, but you can bet that competing coaches would love to derail Fleck's energy with stories about ethical challenges.

Are we sure there is a rule that there can't be contact through some kind of representative? From what I could google, members of the athletic staff are not allowed to contact the recruit or his family. But I didn't see anything about some other kind of representative.

Who: Athletic Director Mark Coyle

When: 6:45 p.m. on Jan. 3, 2017

Quote one: "Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially."

Quote two: "I am convinced you can do things the right way, and you can win at the highest level."

Two months later we have a potential violation of the new coach. While this little recruiting hiccup maybe nothing, I wonder what else is laying in the weeds on Mr. Fleck and his band of merry recruiters if its true.

Well, I've been accused of being a Fleck lover. And though I don't consider this a big deal, it is an unforced error to let a story like this steal the momentum that he created.
It will likely go away and be forgotten, but you can bet that competing coaches would love to derail Fleck's energy with stories about ethical challenges.

Understood.

The only thing for me that smells a little fishy is that during the Great Pillage of WMU (the mass exodus of WMU verbals to UofM) there were some other allegations thrown around and nothing came of them.

It looks a bit like sour grapes. I would guess this journalist is being fed info by some people who are still crying.

Quote one: "Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially."

Quote two: "I am convinced you can do things the right way, and you can win at the highest level."

Two months later we have a potential violation of the new coach. While this little recruiting hiccup maybe nothing, I wonder what else is laying in the weeds on Mr. Fleck and his band of merry recruiters if its true.

Go FY troll.....

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/npa5yMn.gif

Don't be a dumb American.

That's absolutely not true. Athletes may contact a program to notify them of their intention to transfer, but the contacted program may NOT contact the prospective transfer until the athlete has received his release from his current program and the current program gives its permission to contact that particular school. So, yes, they actually do request their release before knowing that they have a place to transfer to.

I kind of took his comment to mean that there people contact there people, so there isn't direct contact, but there is knowledge, ultimately the kid is gonna want to know his market value before transferring, by representatives of the schools, he probably means "boosters" or other people that are in the network of people in the program, but not actually a part of the program.

I kind of took his comment to mean that there people contact there people, so there isn't direct contact, but there is knowledge, ultimately the kid is gonna want to know his market value before transferring, by representatives of the schools, he probably means "boosters" or other people that are in the network of people in the program, but not actually a part of the program.
An offer from anyone other than directly from a member of a coaching staff is worthless and no offer at all. Interest isn't an offer. Communication to a transfer from a potential destination school without the permission of the school of origin is a rules violation.
There is no gray area in which to meaningfully communicate, without violating NCAA rules, until the school of origin permits a prospective program to do so. Period.
Sucks, but that's the way it is. The school of origin has ALL of the power. That's why people complain about it. It isn't fair, it's just the way it is.

This cracks me up. How can anyone here, not actually a part of the program, say there is nothing to this? Similarly, how can anyone not directly a part of the program say he is cheating?

An appropriate response would be - hope there is nothing to it, but will have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

Just pointing out the Hypocrisy of Mark Coyles statements..does not take much to discredit them.

So my issue here is, was Fleck supposed to just cut off all contact with his former players? I wouldn't think so, especially given the bond he shares with a lot of those players. SO that begs the question, what if the player brought it up? If the player told Fleck "I want to transfer to the U and follow you", is that a violation, or is it only a violation if Fleck responded?

Also considering no one else is reporting this as what happened, and the original reporter is not revealing his source, I am inclined to think this is just a case of "Fleck left, and took a bunch of recruits, now a key player is transferring and might follow Fleck. I'm not happy with that and am going to speculate and see where it goes".

Just pointing out the Hypocrisy of Mark Coyles statements..does not take much to discredit them.
Except to have no solid proof of anything, so you aren't discrediting them, just speculating . . .

Well, we know you are a troll and all-American a-hole. Welcome to the ignore list.

Some rules are begging to be broken. This is one of them. The player already has to sit out a year if he transfers. That's a big deal and a huge deterrent. The rule is apparently another hurdle put in place to discourage transfers.

I'm one of the few vocal defenders of the NCAA, flaws and all, because it could be much, much worse, but this is one of those rules that goes a bit far imo. If the kid is motivated enough to transfer out of a situation he ought to be able to gauge if he has options. This is America.

Are there any prior incidents that shed light on what type of punishment is meted out, if this is proven true (it won't) ?

Some rules are begging to be broken. This is one of them. The player already has to sit out a year if he transfers. That's a big deal and a huge deterrent. The rule is apparently another hurdle put in place to discourage transfers.

I'm one of the few vocal defenders of the NCAA, flaws and all, because it could be much, much worse, but this is one of those rules that goes a bit far imo. If the kid is motivated enough to transfer out of a situation he ought to be able to gauge if he has options. This is America.

Are there any prior incidents that shed light on what type of punishment is meted out, if this is proven true (it won't) ?

It won't be huge this isn't a major violation unless he has been illegally contacting multiple former players and recruits like Kelvin Sampson at Oklahoma

How am I a "all-american a-hole" for pointing out the very statement Mark Coyle used in his press conference that is in direct conflict with this news. The statement is pretty clear and directly quoted, and if this news is true, conflicts with the basis of the hiring in which he fired another coach for. You should be less sensitive about what some "troll" is posting on Gopherhole, who by the way is a season ticket holder for eight years, and think a little bit more critically about why we have a moronic AD who can not conduct a presser that will come back to haunt him. You would think an AD who makes $700K a year would be a little more educated with the way he phrases comments to the press. Instead, he sets the bar so high that any incident now is just a case file building up for a subsequent firing. Sorry, just not impressed with him and the crony U administration.

How am I a "all-american a-hole" for pointing out the very statement Mark Coyle used in his press conference that is in direct conflict with this news. The statement is pretty clear and directly quoted, and if this news is true, conflicts with the basis of the hiring in which he fired another coach for. You should be less sensitive about what some "troll" is posting on Gopherhole, who by the way is a season ticket holder for eight years, and think a little bit more critically about why we have a moronic AD who can not conduct a presser that will come back to haunt him. You would think an AD who makes $700K a year would be a little more educated with the way he phrases comments to the press. Instead, he sets the bar so high that any incident now is just a case file building up for a subsequent firing. Sorry, just not impressed with him and the crony U administration.

I think everyone knows Coyle is a smoke-blowing hypocrite. He and his pompous pal have set their bar of behavior so high that few mortal men will be able to reach it. What's he going to do if the coach or one of his acolytes gets caught with their hand in the recruiting cookie jar? Fire Fleck and his staff? Sure.

Listening to Coyle is interesting only insofar as one can look at the embodiment of plausible deniability, public relations tropes, and hypocrisy. He rarely speaks because it's difficult to say nothing for so long while speaking only in generalities. It's recommended not to ask questions about buyouts because that is a perplexing topic for him.

Hope this is nothing more than some misunderstanding by the TV person covering Western.
If there is more to this and there was some violation, what Don'tbe is bringing up is valid.
It would not be in line with running a program the right way. Nor would this look good for the culture, that so many are pimping as the reason we have to like PJF.

Top Bottom