Report says P.J. Fleck illegally contacted former player; #Gophers say coach...

Has the WMU linebacker announced his transfer to anyone yet or is it all still speculation?

I agree it's not free in that football is essentially the "work study" job they each have, & it's a huge demand. Yet, along with that comes all kinds of supports that an average student does not get with tutor support, nutrition, access to alumni, etc. I'm sure it also influences what courses guys can take, especially during fall semester. Different coaches approach that differently. Hopefully, PJ is who he says he is in supporting kids academic goals because most are not going to make a living in the NFL.

Tubby, in basketball for example, was very supportive of his athletes and their pursuits as I know there were a number of them In Carlson, engineering, etc.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we're in agreement. I would disagree about the access to alumni, except maybe after graduation and the completion of eligibility, b/c I would say access is intentionally limited due to NCAA concerns. Former players come in and give presentations on their experiences, but the NCAA and the school don't want alums and athletes fraternizing for obvious reasons. At least, outside of the SEC.
I would say that professional/technical degree students have significant access to outside resources and alums through their academic program rather than the athletic program. If a S-A is enrolled in a professional/technical program, then they would have the same access as a non-athlete student.

Has the WMU linebacker announced his transfer to anyone yet or is it all still speculation?
He was just recently granted his release and I haven't seen anything that says it was conditional as far as where he could or couldn't go. Since this player is going to miss spring football, he has a few months to visit schools and make his decision.

I think we're in agreement. I would disagree about the access to alumni, except maybe after graduation and the completion of eligibility, b/c I would say access is intentionally limited due to NCAA concerns. Former players come in and give presentations on their experiences, but the NCAA and the school don't want alums and athletes fraternizing for obvious reasons. At least, outside of the SEC.
I would say that professional/technical degree students have significant access to outside resources and alums through their academic program rather than the athletic program. If a S-A is enrolled in a professional/technical program, then they would have the same access as a non-athlete student.
Also, the tutoring that is provided to S-As is for basic core classes. Tutoring is not provided for advanced coursework that would be required in business or engineering. Tutoring is provided as a safety measure to make sure S-As are passing basic coursework with the highest possible grade.

Where do you get that idea on tutoring? Knowing a number of former student-athletes they were also provided support in advanced courses as needed. Also, they also had access to internships and other opportunities. Not a perk, just a reality

Where do you get that idea on tutoring? Knowing a number of former student-athletes they were also provided support in advanced courses as needed. Also, they also had access to internships and other opportunities. Not a perk, just a reality
I've known a number of S-As, but didn't hear of them receiving tutoring for anything but core coursework. I could be wrong about that, but just haven't heard of it.
What courses have you heard of?
And as far as internships, there could be an advantage but I don't know that it is that big. For instance, a BME degree requires an internship for all students and all students have access to interview for internships posted through the College of Ed and Human Dev.

I checked with a friend source about the advanced tutoring. You are correct. Bad assumption on my part

Top Bottom