Report says P.J. Fleck illegally contacted former player; #Gophers say coach...

Hope this is nothing more than some misunderstanding by the TV person covering Western.
If there is more to this and there was some violation, what Don'tbe is bringing up is valid.
It would not be in line with running a program the right way. Nor would this look good for the culture, that so many are pimping as the reason we have to like PJF.

Supposedly this local sports dude has claimed something similar in the past, so maybe not a misunderstanding as much as he wants to belive.

But if the kid isn't going to spill the beans and there isn't anything else, it's ofer then.

It does sound like the sports reporter is hurt that PJF left and this guy is trying to stir up trouble for no reason.

Who: Athletic Director Mark Coyle

When: 6:45 p.m. on Jan. 3, 2017

Quote one: "Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially."

Quote two: "I am convinced you can do things the right way, and you can win at the highest level."

Two months later we have a potential violation of the new coach. While this little recruiting hiccup maybe nothing, I wonder what else is laying in the weeds on Mr. Fleck and his band of merry recruiters if its true.

You should follow the advice of your moniker

Clearly you are a lower level troll who can't figure out why I posted it. So if I am stupid as you claim, how does that reflect on your intelligence? Go back and read the comments by Pompous and myself on Coyle.

Who cares about Coyle - he hired Fleck. He's a rock star! It's the single best move a University of Minnesota AD has made in the last 50 years. I really don't care if he had to resort to sleaziness to get it done. He have never been more relevant on the national scene.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Most of the time when kids transfer there is contact of some type between representatives of the player and representatives of schools that player would be interested in. Kids don't usually get their release and then just hope schools will take them. Not too worried about this one as I highly doubt PJ himself was making contact.
What does "illegally" mean really. Potential NCAA sanctions, slap on the wrist, hard time in the slammer?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So my issue here is, was Fleck supposed to just cut off all contact with his former players? I wouldn't think so, especially given the bond he shares with a lot of those players. SO that begs the question, what if the player brought it up? If the player told Fleck "I want to transfer to the U and follow you", is that a violation, or is it only a violation if Fleck responded?

Also considering no one else is reporting this as what happened, and the original reporter is not revealing his source, I am inclined to think this is just a case of "Fleck left, and took a bunch of recruits, now a key player is transferring and might follow Fleck. I'm not happy with that and am going to speculate and see where it goes".

The answer is probably no, but on the same sense if the only player he contacted is the one who's transferring or a couple stars in addition, then you can read between the lines. Of course that's assuming he even tries to come here, which as yet I don't believe he has. If he doesn't then it's a non-factor. I can't imagine they would accuse Fleck of trying to ruin WMU by getting players to transfer away to other schools. Not like he left on bad terms or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if the player reached out to Fleck about why the WMU program is no longer a good fit for him, they discussed and he decided to transfer. Probably felt like Coach Fleck was one of the few guys who would understand where he's coming from.

If Fleck did contact him, even if the player initiated, before he withdrew from WMU than I'd hope Fleck would ask him to go elsewhere just based on appearances as this school does not need any more situations involving illegal contact. :) Too soon?

Delete this topic. Nothing to see here

I agree that it's nonsense, but this is a weird response to an on-topic subject about Gopher football. People can come to their own conclusions, we don't need you to shelter us from this topic.

Some rules are begging to be broken. This is one of them. The player already has to sit out a year if he transfers. That's a big deal and a huge deterrent. The rule is apparently another hurdle put in place to discourage transfers.

I'm one of the few vocal defenders of the NCAA, flaws and all, because it could be much, much worse, but this is one of those rules that goes a bit far imo. If the kid is motivated enough to transfer out of a situation he ought to be able to gauge if he has options. This is America.

Are there any prior incidents that shed light on what type of punishment is meted out, if this is proven true (it won't) ?

This is pretty much where I stand.

This is pretty much where I stand.

This is an area where the interests of the schools have been put way ahead of the students... The students should absolutely be able to initiate contact. I may be in the minority, but I think if a coaching change occurs, transferring students should not have to sit out a year or at minimum that the sit out year shouldn't burn eligibility.

So if Steven Richardson announces he is transferring and there are reports that Jerry Kill contacted him ahead of that announcement would all of you be saying this is ok?

So if Steven Richardson announces he is transferring and there are reports that Jerry Kill contacted him ahead of that announcement would all of you be saying this is ok?

If he was intent on leaving anyway why would anyone care?

If he was recruited by Kill and Kill left Steven should be able to call Jerry and ask if he would be welcomed at Rutgers. Jerry should be allowed to take the call and answer his questions. The U doesn't own him.

The reason this isn't allowed is it is a (very) slippery slope. Who decides in what instances it is OK or not? What exceptions. Students who have signed LOIs should not be able to be recruited. Period. Once they are released from that commitment they can be, but not before and that is the right answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he was intent on leaving anyway why would anyone care?

Who decides that someone was "intent on leaving anyway"? Were they intent before or after contacted by the other coach? Slippery slope.

I agree that it's nonsense, but this is a weird response to an on-topic subject about Gopher football. People can come to their own conclusions, we don't need you to shelter us from this topic.
I think its called levity.

GoAUpher has a funny article on this in SB Nation

This is an area where the interests of the schools have been put way ahead of the students... The students should absolutely be able to initiate contact. I may be in the minority, but I think if a coaching change occurs, transferring students should not have to sit out a year or at minimum that the sit out year shouldn't burn eligibility.
I don't think you are in the minority. I think most people think that the athletes get the short-end of the stick. However, the NCAA rule exists to deter transferring, not to accommodate student-athletes wishing to transfer. I understand why the rule exists, but it really sucks for many S-A's that get stuck with coaches that they didn't choose and didn't choose them.
That's life in big time college football. It ain't easy.

Would never happen. The University of Minnesota is bigger and more important than Jerry Kill. WMU is obviously not in the same stratosphere in regards to P.J. Fleck. Plus - Jerry probably wouldn't even think of it as recruiting doesn't interest him that much.

If Steven contacted kill, that's fine....Vice versa agreed, that's a problem

If Steven contacted kill, that's fine....Vice versa agreed, that's a problem

By this theory it would be OK for every kid that was interested to start calling virtually every coach out there to see if they were interested. Didn't get your top choice to offer? No problem, have a good year and then give them a call. Still not interested? Try again next year. Not to mention how schools would get word to certain kids that it would be nice if they initiated some communication. That would basically be free agency. Wouldn't work. Way too many problems.

By this theory it would be OK for every kid that was interested to start calling virtually every coach out there to see if they were interested. Didn't get your top choice to offer? No problem, have a good year and then give them a call. Still not interested? Try again next year. Not to mention how schools would get word to certain kids that it would be nice if they initiated some communication. That would basically be free agency. Wouldn't work. Way too many problems.

I get what you're saying

This cracks me up. How can anyone here, not actually a part of the program, say there is nothing to this? Similarly, how can anyone not directly a part of the program say he is cheating?

An appropriate response would be - hope there is nothing to it, but will have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

Maybe because the coach and president of Baylor essentially constructed and operated a rape chamber for its players, and the NCAA couldn't have cared less.

And Louisville has been almost openly running a brothel for its players. And the NCAA couldn't care less.

And UNC clearly had wide-spread academic fraud involving dozens. And the NCAA couldn't have cared less.

So it's just very hard to imagine a coach talking to a former player, in ANY capacity (assuming the worst), is going to shock anyone outside of Kalamazoo.

But, yeah, I guess we'all just have wait and see.

I don't think you are in the minority. I think most people think that the athletes get the short-end of the stick. However, the NCAA rule exists to deter transferring, not to accommodate student-athletes wishing to transfer. I understand why the rule exists, but it really sucks for many S-A's that get stuck with coaches that they didn't choose and didn't choose them.
That's life in big time college football. It ain't easy.

Oh my god. Free college education worth $120,000 minimum. Are you kidding?

Top Bottom