Report says P.J. Fleck illegally contacted former player; #Gophers say coach...

Could they even say anything anyway?

Recruiting inappropriately or not I don't think they can say anything until the kid enrolls.

Drop the oar, grab the bucket and start bailing water!

Smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the time when kids transfer there is contact of some type between representatives of the player and representatives of schools that player would be interested in. Kids don't usually get their release and then just hope schools will take them. Not too worried about this one as I highly doubt PJ himself was making contact.

[emoji41]
32407c2019956ce310eb75c0bcff8935.jpg
[emoji41]

Jesus ..Hasn't been here two months and is already cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the time when kids transfer there is contact of some type between representatives of the player and representatives of schools that player would be interested in. Kids don't usually get their release and then just hope schools will take them. Not too worried about this one as I highly doubt PJ himself was making contact.
That's absolutely not true. Athletes may contact a program to notify them of their intention to transfer, but the contacted program may NOT contact the prospective transfer until the athlete has received his release from his current program and the current program gives its permission to contact that particular school. So, yes, they actually do request their release before knowing that they have a place to transfer to.

Much ado about nothing. Unless someone subpoenas cell phone records or has a recording can't see how this sticks. A monkey flinging poo.

That's absolutely not true. Athletes may contact a program to notify them of their intention to transfer, but the contacted program may NOT contact the prospective transfer until the athlete has received his release from his current program and the current program gives its permission to contact that particular school. So, yes, they actually do request their release before knowing that they have a place to transfer to.

We might be talking about two different things or I didn't phrase my response well. I highly doubt there was any contact between Fleck and the kid, but there was probably contact between someone representing the kids interests and someone representing certain college football teams interests (not necessarily Minnesota). It might be the kids high school coach contacting a school and saying hey player X is thinking about leaving school Y, would you be interested? It might be a relative of the kid telling a booster that the kid is thinking about leaving school Y and that booster serving as a go between. In college hoops, it's common for a kids summer league coach to handle stuff like this. If Fleck himself actually contacted this kid, then I am sure he will be reprimanded for it, but it's hard to believe he'd make a mistake that schools/players have found a way to work around for decades.

Reggie Lynch took a secret visit here before he declared he was transferring from Illinois State.

Our local media must be pretty upset that they got scooped by these small-time folks from Kalamazoo. Fox 9 surely has a news truck headed east as we speak.

Sounds like a lot of grey area. A player can contact a coach, can visit a University, can request a lunch with coach, but the coach can't return a call to the player to confirm an itinerary, schedule, plan or even if there might be a scolly available?

...I also love that they claim this is "illegal." We are dealing with children over there.

Badger 9 news surely has a news truck headed east as we speak.

FIFY

Sounds like a lot of grey area. A player can contact a coach, can visit a University, can request a lunch with coach, but the coach can't return a call to the player to confirm an itinerary, schedule, plan or even if there might be a scolly available?
No, there really isn't a lot of gray area. The scenario you've outlined above isn't practical b/c a prospective school cannot host a visit unless the player's school of origin has released him from his scholarship and permitted him to transfer to the prospective school.
Sure, a kid can visit a prospective school without contact with that school's football program, but why would he do that if his school of origin has not approved of it or released him to the prospective school. He can't transfer there if his school of origin says he can't. The rule is designed to avoid situations like a WMU following his coach to Minnesota.
And, no, a transfer cannot call a prospective program to inquire about the availability of a scholarship if the program of origin has not permitted him to do so in granting him a release to the prospective program.
The athlete is free to contact a prospective program in writing to announce his intentions to transfer, but the prospective program cannot communicate back until the school of origin okays it.
Could a HS coach call to find out if there is a scholarship available? Sure, but an informal offer of a scholarship via a HS coach would still be a violation of transfer rules. So if you're going to break the rules, you just a well do between two parties rather than three.

No, there really isn't a lot of gray area. The scenario you've outlined above isn't practical b/c a prospective school cannot host a visit unless the player's school of origin has released him from his scholarship and permitted him to transfer to the prospective school.
Sure, a kid can visit a prospective school without contact with that school's football program, but why would he do that if his school of origin has not approved of it or released him to the prospective school. He can't transfer there if his school of origin says he can't. The rule is designed to avoid situations like a WMU following his coach to Minnesota.
And, no, a transfer cannot call a prospective program to inquire about the availability of a scholarship if the program of origin has not permitted him to do so in granting him a release to the prospective program.
The athlete is free to contact a prospective program in writing to announce his intentions to transfer, but the prospective program cannot communicate back until the school of origin okays it.
Could a HS coach call to find out if there is a scholarship available? Sure, but an informal offer of a scholarship via a HS coach would still be a violation of transfer rules. So if you're going to break the rules, you just a well do between two parties rather than three.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Basketball for instance AAU coaches are always contacting schools about players who may transfer and trying to gauge interest levels

We might be talking about two different things or I didn't phrase my response well. I highly doubt there was any contact between Fleck and the kid, but there was probably contact between someone representing the kids interests and someone representing certain college football teams interests (not necessarily Minnesota). It might be the kids high school coach contacting a school and saying hey player X is thinking about leaving school Y, would you be interested? It might be a relative of the kid telling a booster that the kid is thinking about leaving school Y and that booster serving as a go between. In college hoops, it's common for a kids summer league coach to handle stuff like this. If Fleck himself actually contacted this kid, then I am sure he will be reprimanded for it, but it's hard to believe he'd make a mistake that schools/players have found a way to work around for decades.
See my answer above.
Secondly, a transfer athlete would be a fool to accept a rumor of a scholarship before deciding to transfer. No coach will admit to offering a scholarship via a representative since it would still be a violation unless the school of origin has approved the transfer. And if its approved, there is no need for speaking to representatives of the transfer when you would naturally speak directly to him.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Basketball for instance AAU coaches are always contacting schools about players who may transfer and trying to gauge interest levels
Yeah, great for the prospective transfer school. Not great for the athlete since there would be absolutely no assurances that the prospective program would actually follow through

I think the trib will take any chance it can get to knock the Gophers down. They are the Vikings servants & will always have an agenda to keep the Gophers in their place, as 2nd fiddle to the Vikings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All true and no evidence that any of that occurred. This is hyped up and won't amount to anything. It doesn't even matter if they talked. It only matters what they talked about. And that will be impossible to prove.

Recap of this thread:

If you like Fleck: "this is no big deal"

If you're not sold on Fleck: "this doesn't surprise me"

If you're actually logical about opinion formation: "let's wait and see"

Top Bottom