All Things Markquis Nowell Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018

burton34

Reaction score
I was scanning the 2018 Rivals page and I noticed that the Gophers are getting high interest from Markquis Nowell out of Brooklyn. He's a PG, listed at 5'8", 160lbs, ranked #108 overall in Rivals class of 2018. I haven't seen anything on Gopherhole about Nowell. Does anyone know anything about this guy?

He's got great quickness and speed. He can drive, he can create some space and has good court vision.

He can get muscled on d, and hasn't faced athletes like himself on a regular basis. He needs to work on his shot (think Eric Harris)

I haven't met his family, so I can't speak to his character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've fallen in love with lengthy guards. He's a very talented player and would be a great fit for a high-scoring team in the A-10 but I don't want him guarding the Melo Trimbles and Nate Masons of the B1G who could easily take advantage of the height differential.

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts.

I tend to agree with you...but

I've fallen in love with lengthy guards. He's a very talented player and would be a great fit for a high-scoring team in the A-10 but I don't want him guarding the Melo Trimbles and Nate Masons of the B1G who could easily take advantage of the height differential.

I would think with Jelly onboard...you wouldn't recruit another shorter point guard. But and I don't remember how short...Louisville seemed to always have a couple short guards draining 3's, causing havoc
when they got to Final Fours. The younger Jones is a point guard...where's that at? Is there also another Minnesota guard we are recruiting as a point guard or is he a shooter? I'm sure Richard has a plan...hopefully we are not just recruiting NYC kids to just keep the pipeline open. By that I'm saying I would think we are in position to obtain somebody more versatile. But again, maybe Richard has a style he wants to play that this kid fits. Interesting...

I was scanning the 2018 Rivals page and I noticed that the Gophers are getting high interest from Markquis Nowell out of Brooklyn. He's a PG, listed at 5'8", 160lbs, ranked #108 overall in Rivals class of 2018. I haven't seen anything on Gopherhole about Nowell. Does anyone know anything about this guy?

Fresh Meadows, NY (Future150) -- In every class, there are undersized players at each position who perform so well, that at their lack of size doesn't truly matter.*
For Bishop Loughlin point guard Markquis Nowell, that is especially true. The 5-foot-8 floor general has been one of the top players in the CHSAA and the state of New York this year.*
With great speed and a decent jump shot, Nowell has been nearly unguardable all season. His average of 18.2 points per game is the 4th highest in the league this season. Throw in good court vision, and a killer instinct that few players can match and it's easy to see why he's had such a great sophomore campaign.*
There have been plenty of stiff tests for Nowell this year too. He scored 32 en route to knocking off #1 ranked Long Island Lutheran and Indiana commit Devonte Green. Nowell also put up 38 against Christ the King and Jose Alvarado in a Diocesian playoff game win two weeks ago. Nowell has also gotten the better of Cole Anthony and Isaiah Washington at different points in the year as well. Few, if any, sophomore point guards face a gauntlet of matchups that rival that quartet, which is saying something for Nowell and the talent level in the state of New York.*

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/blowing-up-markquis-nowells-play-demands-attention

Fresh Meadows, NY (Future150) -- In every class, there are undersized players at each position who perform so well, that at their lack of size doesn't truly matter.*
For Bishop Loughlin point guard Markquis Nowell, that is especially true. The 5-foot-8 floor general has been one of the top players in the CHSAA and the state of New York this year.*
With great speed and a decent jump shot, Nowell has been nearly unguardable all season. His average of 18.2 points per game is the 4th highest in the league this season. Throw in good court vision, and a killer instinct that few players can match and it's easy to see why he's had such a great sophomore campaign.*
There have been plenty of stiff tests for Nowell this year too. He scored 32 en route to knocking off #1 ranked Long Island Lutheran and Indiana commit Devonte Green. Nowell also put up 38 against Christ the King and Jose Alvarado in a Diocesian playoff game win two weeks ago. Nowell has also gotten the better of Cole Anthony and Isaiah Washington at different points in the year as well. Few, if any, sophomore point guards face a gauntlet of matchups that rival that quartet, which is saying something for Nowell and the talent level in the state of New York.*

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/blowing-up-markquis-nowells-play-demands-attention

Sign him up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that Markquis' head that Isaiah bounces the ball off of at the 4:03 mark of this video from the Jell thread? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYhfXasfCgg

Whoever it is seems to take it in good humor.

I'm not sure who the kid is at the 4:03 mark that was guarding Isaiah but he's definitely not 5-foot-8.

All those Melo Trimbles and Nate Masons would be tough to guard.

Top Bottom