Thompson, Oturu, Kalschuer, Jones - The Barn is Calling

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Lets get these guys in the Barn on Thursday and send them off w/ the energy of a sellout.

Checked a few websites and it looks like Race may be focusing his efforts on MN and Iowa St. given recent unofficial visits. Was at the Michigan game week+ ago and saw Darrell T. at the game. Darrell has been an awesome ambassador for Gopher athletics. Thrilled we have Oturu committed to MN. Kalschuer is engage, has come to games. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the play, recruiting outlook, etc. of our 2018 targets. Let's keep the Gopher train humming w/ great talent!

Tre seems to be showing us less interest than even Tyus did.

Lets get these guys in the Barn on Thursday and send them off w/ the energy of a sellout.

Checked a few websites and it looks like Race may be focusing his efforts on MN and Iowa St. given recent unofficial visits. Was at the Michigan game week+ ago and saw Darrell T. at the game. Darrell has been an awesome ambassador for Gopher athletics. Thrilled we have Oturu committed to MN. Kalschuer is engage, has come to games. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the play, recruiting outlook, etc. of our 2018 targets. Let's keep the Gopher train humming w/ great talent!

I still thInk we can find a better player than Gabe the only reason we are clamoring over him is because he's local. I rather look at other options before focusing all our recruiting attention on him. It's not like he's receiving offers from other high majors

Win this last home game, and then the road game vs Wisconsin, make some noise in the BTT, and hit the Big Dance court with our dancing shoes on and guys like Tre might just start taking notice. And if not, so what, let him go elsewhere, we'll find someone almost as good or better who DOES want to play here. And I agree with GopherPlaya, if we can get better players than the local boys, lets get em. It's not like our passing on someone like Gabe will mean he won't get to go to college or play Div 1 ball. I'm sure he'll get plenty of Div 1 offers, and if we do get him, that's great, too. But lets not pass on guys who are a better fit just so we can focus on loading up on local boys.

I would say Gabe would bring a dimension that the current team lacks, someone that can strke it from downtown, he is also 6'4" that will give him the ability to guard most wings on the perimeter. Gabe would be a fine addition to the program, if we get someone better great, but I trust Pitino's ability to recruit and if they think he can play than I am sold. We will have at least four scholly's available, if three of them go Oturu, Race and Gabe than I am alright with that. Puts pressure on anyone else who will want to come here

Would really love Race to go along with Oturu to backup Murphy and Curry in 2018.

Would love to add Tre to battle it out with Washington once Nate graduates. I had written him off for a while, then read that Duke was recruiting better PG's than him. After looking at it further, the two PG's that they are recruiting in for their 2017 and 2018 classes are both likely one and done guys so I don't think it would affect Tre's status with Duke. Only hope would be that a few of their one and done projected players stay a few years and they run out of schollies for Tre. If he is a take for them I don't see him coming here, even if we make a big time run in the tourney.

I would say Gabe would bring a dimension that the current team lacks, someone that can strke it from downtown, he is also 6'4" that will give him the ability to guard most wings on the perimeter. Gabe would be a fine addition to the program, if we get someone better great, but I trust Pitino's ability to recruit and if they think he can play than I am sold. We will have at least four scholly's available, if three of them go Oturu, Race and Gabe than I am alright with that. Puts pressure on anyone else who will want to come here

MJH says that he's not a take for this staff as of now and they are slow playing him which is fine with me. Says he is a lot like Gilbert and Hurt in that he is a stand still shooter who can't really do much else and wouldn't really bring something new to the table that we don't have already.

Also we have several guys on this team that can stroke it from downtown.

Kalscheur seems close to a lock, Thompson is probably 50-50, but let's move on from Tre folks. It's not going to happen.

MJH says that he's not a take for this staff as of now and they are slow playing him which is fine with me. Says he is a lot like Gilbert and Hurt in that he is a stand still shooter who can't really do much else and wouldn't really bring something new to the table that we don't have already.

I agree with this take about Gabe. I don't see him getting many minutes until he's a senior. I have seen him vs better comp (AAU), and he struggles to score and get his shot off compare to playing at DeLaSalle. People keep saying he brings shooting element to the table, but so does Hurt and Gilbert and that hasn't translated much. It's easier to get your shot off in high school vs college

I don't think MJH has any idea what he is talking about. The staff would take his commitment right now and he very well may be our next commit which would be a good thing. He isn't just a stand still shooter and I wouldn't compare him to Gilbert or Hurt. He is a decent ball handler who is pretty athletic and can get to the rim. I really like his length and he is very solid on the defensive end of the floor. He gets a lot of his open looks on set plays running off screens which he does a pretty good job of. I also wouldn't really classify Hurt as just a stand still shooter. He is pretty active and has really improved on the defensive end of the floor. The biggest thing for Michael is just getting stronger and not being afraid to make a mistake which I think is the way he plays at times just because he isn't getting a whole lot of minutes.

I don't think MJH has any idea what he is talking about. The staff would take his commitment right now and he very well may be our next commit which would be a good thing. He isn't just a stand still shooter and I wouldn't compare him to Gilbert or Hurt. He is a decent ball handler who is pretty athletic and can get to the rim. I really like his length and he is very solid on the defensive end of the floor. He gets a lot of his open looks on set plays running off screens which he does a pretty good job of. I also wouldn't really classify Hurt as just a stand still shooter. He is pretty active and has really improved on the defensive end of the floor. The biggest thing for Michael is just getting stronger and not being afraid to make a mistake which I think is the way he plays at times just because he isn't getting a whole lot of minutes.
If MJH says he doesn't think he's a take then I'd trust him.

Also says his handle and on ball defense could get better.

With the way this staff has been recruiting I definitely think we could get someone better as well. Someone like Sid Wilson would be nice although I'm not sure how realistic he is.

Here's an Iowa State thread on him. Someone claims that Baylor and ISU are his leaders and that poster is so plugged in "he can find out what Race had for breakfast in the morning."

Just a typical ISU thread with several digs at Minnesota, the gophers and the barn.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/race-thompson.226617/

I will never understand where ISU fans get their confidence from that they are going to land highly touted kids that other top P5 programs actually want. Wigginton was a good get for them but they were competing against Arizona State to get him. The kids they get are guys that don't have other options or are transfers/jucos. Unless Race picks up more offers this summer I'd be shocked if he wasn't a Gopher. The kid's grown up around Gopher sports all his life, he would be walking into a program that will probably be coming off another 20 win season and competing for the conference title, he's friends with Oturu which can only help and if you are picking between Waco, Ames and the Twin Cities it's a pretty easy decision for an 18 year old kid. ISU's a fun program but the reality is what it is there.

You're going off watching vs local high school which most aren't division 1 caliber players. His handle is pretty weak and I've watched him struggle in AAU vs athletic wings. He looks better playing for De La Salle vs 3A competition but we can't let that clout our judgement. AJ Green is better than Gabe imo

Yeah give me AJ Green (longshot given his dad is at UNI) and Sid Wilson along with Thompson and Oturu. That's a nice little haul.

If there's a fifth scholly, use it on a transfer/grad transfer so we can work in the freshmen without needing them to all play huge minutes.

You're going off watching vs local high school which most aren't division 1 caliber players. His handle is pretty weak and I've watched him struggle in AAU vs athletic wings. He looks better playing for De La Salle vs 3A competition but we can't let that clout our judgement. AJ Green is better than Gabe imo
I've watched him plenty in AAU the past couple summers and do like him. I'm not saying his handle is great it is decent and something that can be improved. I like AJ Green but I wouldn't really classify him and Gabe as similar players. Both are good shooters but I see AJ as more of a point guard.

If MJH says he doesn't think he's a take then I'd trust him.

Also says his handle and on ball defense could get better.

With the way this staff has been recruiting I definitely think we could get someone better as well. Someone like Sid Wilson would be nice although I'm not sure how realistic he is.
If he wasn't a take they would be keeping tabs on him and keeping a little distance. Pitino has watched Gabe at least twice in the last month and Gabe has been to numerous games this season including about the last 5 home games before the Penn St. game and was even on the court with Oturu following the Michigan game I believe. I will take it from a more experienced and dialed in source that Gabe is definitely a take right now and he would bet on him being the next commit. That same person also said this fall there really isn't any interest with Sid Wilson.

I will never understand where ISU fans get their confidence from that they are going to land highly touted kids that other top P5 programs actually want. Wigginton was a good get for them but they were competing against Arizona State to get him. The kids they get are guys that don't have other options or are transfers/jucos. Unless Race picks up more offers this summer I'd be shocked if he wasn't a Gopher. The kid's grown up around Gopher sports all his life, he would be walking into a program that will probably be coming off another 20 win season and competing for the conference title, he's friends with Oturu which can only help and if you are picking between Waco, Ames and the Twin Cities it's a pretty easy decision for an 18 year old kid. ISU's a fun program but the reality is what it is there.

Didn't realize ISU fans were God's gift to earth until I read that thread. Makes me realize my mistake in not living in Iowa and not going to ISU.

Ames must have improved since I passed through a few months ago because it sure didn't look like heaven to me.

One guy is comparing the fandom by how many Cyclone and Gopher license plates he sees.

I'm not into following HS players, but it would be really disappointing to miss on Race. Darrell Thompson's roots are about as deep as they can get at the U. Of course, Race might also want to blaze his own trail. Right now, Amir might be on a Whalen-like course at the U. Pretty sure there's room for another local hero.

I'm not into following HS players, but it would be really disappointing to miss on Race. Darrell Thompson's roots are about as deep as they can get at the U. Of course, Race might also want to blaze his own trail. Right now, Amir might be on a Whalen-like course at the U. Pretty sure there's room for another local hero.

Agreed on Race. Would be heart breaking to see him leave the state. But Darrell has been very open about his wanting his kids to make their own decisions, and I think his three other kids have gone elsewhere. Not sure if they were heavily recruited by the Gophers in their sports or not.

If given the opportunity to live and go to school in Ames or The Twin Cities, I don't know how anyone in their right mind would pick Ames. That is the most boring bland town iv ever been too.. makes Des Moines look like key west

Ames is a great college town if you're looking for that smaller college town feel. You can't compare the experience to Minneapolis, they are for completely different personalities.

Ames is a great college town if you're looking for that smaller college town feel. You can't compare the experience to Minneapolis, they are for completely different personalities.

Iowa City is. Ames is a dump once you step off campus.

Full length game of Race and Armstrong I just found. Really has a nice offensive repertoire and a smooth jump shot. I think he's more skilled than Murphy and Curry right now but isn't quite the explosive leaper that they are. Solid but not a dominant rebounder and rim protector.

Here's an Iowa State thread on him. Someone claims that Baylor and ISU are his leaders and that poster is so plugged in "he can find out what Race had for breakfast in the morning."

Just a typical ISU thread with several digs at Minnesota, the gophers and the barn.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/race-thompson.226617/

Holy insecure, Batman...self-validate much to make yourself feel better? Talk about insecure. ISU has a good program but they really come across as delusional. I will say this...they don't disrespect one another in their discussions which is far cry from this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ames is about as dull as you can get. There is a reason why the Bachelor from Iowa is still single. He lives on a farm in IOWA!

I'd like to see Darrell's son come to the U.

it would be great if these guys all came here, but at the same time, I think Pitino is making it very clear that he's just fine getting kids from elsewhere. If kids want to represent the state of North Carolina or wherever, instead of their own home state, then good for them. If you're good enough to go pro, you will, despite where you attend. It's just too bad these kids can't just share the same positive attitude that Oturo has shown, and want to represent their home state, and be a part of something great here.

Oturu is an exception to the rule in that he committed extremely early in the process - most of these guys won't commit until at least next fall. Not really a fair standard to hold them to. They've put in the work and have earned the right to go through the recruiting process, and owe it to themselves to explore all their options. Would rather have guys commit based on a deliberative decision making / relationship with program rather than social compulsion.

Oturu is an exception to the rule in that he committed extremely early in the process - most of these guys won't commit until at least next fall. Not really a fair standard to hold them to. They've put in the work and have earned the right to go through the recruiting process, and owe it to themselves to explore all their options. Would rather have guys commit based on a deliberative decision making / relationship with program rather than social compulsion.

I couldn't agree more with what you wrote...they've earned the right to enjoy the recruiting experience. With that said, with how well Pitino has been recruiting thus far, they also need to understand that a spot is not guaranteed and could be accepted by another kid.

Top Bottom