Thompson, Oturu, Kalschuer, Jones - The Barn is Calling

I couldn't agree more with what you wrote...they've earned the right to enjoy the recruiting experience. With that said, with how well Pitino has been recruiting thus far, they also need to understand that a spot is not guaranteed and could be accepted by another kid.

Big Time! Think it would be ideal for one of out higher rated out of state targets to commit next, would really get the gears turning.

Pitino has realized that he can win with JUST recruiting in-state talent. At least in this golden age of Minnesota high school hoops.

However, he isn't committed to just that. If he can get talent from elsewhere and win I'm good with it.

Full length game of Race and Armstrong I just found. Really has a nice offensive repertoire and a smooth jump shot. I think he's more skilled than Murphy and Curry right now but isn't quite the explosive leaper that they are. Solid but not a dominant rebounder and rim protector.

I've seen him a few times, he's big enough to play the 4 but he plays more like a 3. Really nice skill set for a guy his size.

Pitino has realized that he can win with JUST recruiting in-state talent. At least in this golden age of Minnesota high school hoops.

However, he isn't committed to just that. If he can get talent from elsewhere and win I'm good with it.

I'm trying to figure out your rationalization with him realizing that we only have Amir, Reggie, and Hurt who are Minnesota recruits and only 2 of those are key contributors. If anything he sees that he doesn't have to focus on recruiting in state and recruit players who fit his system.

This isn't the golden age of Minnesota High School Hoops Minnesota has always had 3 to 6 High Major Division 1 caliber players. The 2019 in state class won't have much outside of Hurt.

If you don't think the talent in the state of MN is better now than it was then you aren't paying attention.

There's a huge difference between "High Major Division I" and "Top 100"

The 2019 Class won't have much after Hurt compared to the 2014, 17 and 18 classes. It'll still have a good two or three High major DI kids. And the 2020 class looks stacked - certainly projecting but it looks very very strong.

If you don't think the talent in the state of MN is better now than it was then you aren't paying attention.

The 2019 Class won't have much after Hurt compared to the 2014, 17 and 18 classes. It'll still have a good two or three High major DI kids. And the 2020 class looks stacked - certainly projecting but it looks very very strong.

We have 3 top 100 players in this class. Minnesota has had that multiple times and there will maybe 2 high major which is pretty bad year compared to most normal years in Minnesota. You are overstating what's going on now. I coach at the high school level and have seen all these guys multiple times 2019 is full of mid major guys other than Hurt and 2020 will be good but won't matter for 2 more years so who knows how good those players are by then.

Tyus, Vaughn, Trent, Hurt and possibly Suggs were/are top 15 played in the country. Vaughn, Tyus and Trent were all at least temporarily the #1 player in the country at their position and Tyus was temporarily #1 in the entire country. Then you add in other top 50 guys like Travis, Amir and Tre plus other top 100-top 150 guys like Davison, Ruevers, Oturu, Race, Macura, Jarvis, Illikainen, Theo John, Macura and I think it's safe to say since the 2014 class, the talent has absolutely gone up since before then. Thats not even counting Wright's, Kalscheur's, Goanar Mar's, Marshawn Wilson's, Reed Nikko's of the state.

Tyus, Vaughn, Trent, Hurt and possibly Suggs were/are top 15 played in the country. Vaughn, Tyus and Trent were all at least temporarily the #1 player in the country at their position and Tyus was temporarily #1 in the entire country. Then you add in other top 50 guys like Travis, Amir and Tre plus other top 100-top 150 guys like Davison, Ruevers, Oturu, Race, Macura, Jarvis, Illikainen, Theo John, Macura and I think it's safe to say since the 2014 class, the talent has absolutely gone up since before then. Thats not even counting Wright's, Kalscheur's, Goanar Mar's, Marshawn Wilson's, Reed Nikko's of the state.

We have had Royce, Humpries, Cole, Aldrich, Trevor, Rodney, Leuer, Trent Lockett, Sam Dower, Mike Broghammer plus guys like Bergerren, Taylor, Dahlman, Webster, Cory Johnson, That's all before 2010 and I left a bunch of players off like Lawrence Mckenzie, Longar, Brandon Smith

You can even go back to the 70's, not the numbers there are now but more high end guys that you just don't see today, Olberding, Landsburger, McHale, Breuer, Coleman all played a number of years in the NBA, the last 15 years you have Humphries playing at that level, maybe Aldrich.

Jones can barely sniff playing time, Vaughn?

They are currently just learning how to drive. I'll let them grow a year more before we make statements like that.

We have had Royce, Humpries, Cole, Aldrich, Trevor, Rodney, Leuer, Trent Lockett, Sam Dower, Mike Broghammer plus guys like Bergerren, Taylor, Dahlman, Webster, Cory Johnson, That's all before 2010 and I left a bunch of players off like Lawrence Mckenzie, Longar, Brandon Smith

That sort of proves my point. I definitely don't consider that to be as good as of a collection of talent, especially at the top, than what we've had since 2014. Tyus, Vaughn, Hurt, Suggs, Trent is definitely a much better group of top end talent than Humphries, Royce and Aldrich. Humphries was #15, Royce was #19, Aldrich was #30 on Rivals. Royce was #35 on ESPN

So guys in the 70s and 80s going to the NBA means they were better high school players than guys in 2016-17?

Also, making the NBA is significantly more difficult now than it was then. And you know, the 3 point line is a thing.

I'm not saying every guy then is bad but to say this isn't the best run of high school talent in a long-time is foolish. Look at the guys the Gophers have missed on.

That sort of proves my point. I definitely don't consider that to be as good as of a collection of talent, especially at the top, than what we've had since 2014. Tyus, Vaughn, Hurt, Suggs, Trent is definitely a much better group of top end talent than Humphries, Royce and Aldrich. Humphries was #15, Royce was #19, Aldrich was #30 on Rivals.

Granted Vaughn and Jones could still make some noise neither are as good of an NBA player as Humphries. He averaged like 14 and 11 one year in the NBA. In terms of minutes played and overall stats Vaughn and Jones are similar to Aldrich and Pryzbilla (granted they play totally different positions and Vaughn and Jones have a lot more time to develop).

That sort of proves my point. I definitely don't consider that to be as good as of a collection of talent, especially at the top, than what we've had since 2014. Tyus, Vaughn, Hurt, Suggs, Trent is definitely a much better group of top end talent than Humphries, Royce and Aldrich. Humphries was #15, Royce was #19, Aldrich was #30 on Rivals.

I mean all 3 of those were ranked higher at one point of their recruitment. I just think we are overstating the current state of Minn High School Hoops. The high end talent has always been there and it's no different now than before. Humphries and Royce were basically one and dones so it's no different than the guys who you are talking about.

Granted Vaughn and Jones could still make some noise neither are as good of an NBA player as Humphries. He averaged like 14 and 11 one year in the NBA. In terms of minutes played and overall stats Vaughn and Jones are similar to Aldrich and Pryzbilla (granted they play totally different positions and Vaughn and Jones have a lot more time to develop).

What does the NBA have to do with any of this? The debate is whether the HS pool of talent is greater now than it was not to long ago.

This 2017 class is comparable to the 2009 but 2009 actually had an All American player

What does the NBA have to do with any of this? The debate is whether the HS pool of talent is greater now than it was not to long ago.

I don't watch much NBA but don't guys have to be good to play there? I'm not disagreeing with any of your points I'm just adding info to the debate.

Humphries, White, Aldrich, Williams and Dahlman were highly rated recruits. None of those other guys were great recruits. Locket, Dower, Taylor, Bergren, Leur went on to have outstanding college careers. They weren't incredibly highly rated recruits though.

Jones, Vaughn, Travis and Macura were all 4-star, top-100 guys.
Coffey was a top 40 recruit.
Trent (still counting him), Reuvers, Davison, Sims are all top 75 guys.
Jones, Thompson, Oturu are all top 100 guys.
Hurt is a top 10 kid. Suggs will be a top 10 kid.

Not that this whole conversation matters a whole lot other than us arguing a random though, but the talent seems like its on another level right now compared to what it was. Doesn't mean it wasn't good before. Minnesota has always been an underrated state when it comes to college level talent. But it's more high-end now. Don't know how that's arguable.

If given the opportunity to live and go to school in Ames or The Twin Cities, I don't know how anyone in their right mind would pick Ames. That is the most boring bland town iv ever been too.. makes Des Moines look like key west

Iowa City is. Ames is a dump once you step off campus.

Not trying to pick a fight at all. I'm from Minnesota & live here in the Twin Cities now. I just went to ISU....But, anyone who suggests Ames is anything other than an incredible college town has not spent any real time there. As another poster suggested, Ames & Mpls are just two very different college experiences and each has its pros & cons, just a personal preference thing.

Check out #3: http://www.businessinsider.com/best-college-towns-in-america-2016-7

There is a reason kids in Iowa pick the Hawkeyes if they want to stay home.. because Iowa city is more appealing and this is coming from someone who hates Iowa and could care less about Iowa State

[ATTACScreenshot_20170301-202945.jpgH=CONFIG]4805[/ATTACH]

My last post as I don't want to hijack your recruit thread, but just want to debunk the last post....And honestly, it's not even close.

There is a reason kids in Iowa pick the Hawkeyes if they want to stay home.. because Iowa city is more appealing and this is coming from someone who hates Iowa and could care less about Iowa State

I was only in iSU once in my life. When I was about 14 my mom made sure our family pulled off I-35 and saw the campus. She grew up in Iowa and I think her HS Band made a trip to Ames for a Band day back in the late 50's and she viewed the school favorably. The place did not make much of an impression on me. We stopped at Notre Dame a year or two later on a family trip out east, and that made a bigger impression, but it wasn't that great either.

I have been to Iowa City for many Gopher Football games, and Iowa City has always been a very impressive college town in my view. I think Iowa City is one of the best stops in the Big Ten. Great lively compact downtown, nice campus, nice features in general. (trees, water, hills) The students are generally decent to visitors as well. I think Iowa City and Bloomington Indiana ade my two favorite Big Ten true "college towns". State College PA was pretty good as well, and Champaign Urbana was much better than expected, but just a nice place surrounded by corn, which might describe Ames and a few of the other Big 12 schools.

I should like Madison more than I do.

One thing about Ames that I recall is that the visiting NDSU fans had little good to say about it, but they generally seemed to like Iowa City.

I was only in Ames at iSU once in my life. When I was about 14 my mom made sure our family pulled off I-35 and saw the campus. She grew up in Iowa and I think her HS Band made a trip to Ames for a Band day back in the late 50's and she viewed the school favorably. The place did not make much of an impression on me. We stopped at Notre Dame a year or two later on a family trip out east, and that made a bigger impression, but it wasn't that great either.

I have been to Iowa City for many Gopher Football games, and Iowa City has always been a very impressive college town in my view. I think Iowa City is one of the best stops in the Big Ten. Great lively compact downtown, nice campus, nice features in general. (trees, water, hills) The students are generally decent to visitors as well. I think Iowa City and Bloomington Indiana ade my two favorite Big Ten true "college towns". State College PA was pretty good as well, and Champaign Urbana was much better than expected, but just a nice place surrounded by corn, which might describe Ames and a few of the other Big 12 schools.

One thing about Ames that I recall is that the visiting NDSU fans had little good to say about it, but they generally seemed to like Iowa City.

I think Iowa State has a better connection to some people in Iowa than U of I, because it is larger, and more native Iowans tend to attend ISU. Iowa is more popular with the sport viewing public who have no connection to the school, but a bigger percentage of their students are not Iowans. (Chicago, international, ect) Some Iowa people are not too fond of the Illinois contingent.

I was only in Ames at iSU once in my life. When I was about 14 my mom made sure our family pulled off I-35 and saw the campus. She grew up in Iowa and I think her HS Band made a trip to Ames for a Band day back in the late 50's and she viewed the school favorably. The place did not make much of an impression on me. We stopped at Notre Dame a year or two later on a family trip out east, and that made a bigger impression, but it wasn't that great either.

I think Iowa State has a better connection to some people in Iowa than U of I, because it is larger, and more native Iowans tend to attend ISU. Iowa is more popular with the sport viewing public who have no connection to the school, but a bigger percentage of their students are not Iowans. (Chicago, international, ect) Some Iowa people are not too fond of the Illinois contingent. Illinois is very hard to get into if you are not a football or basketball player, so Iowa is the backup school for a lot of smart Illinois kids who missed the cut by a little. Illinois might be the 3rd best academic school in the Big Ten.

Iowa City sure seems to get the better players from Iowa every year in football and basketball

Anyway back to the thread... Oturu will end up being the best player out of all of the 2018 class.. u heard it here first..

I just thought it'd be cool to stop by to have a good conversation about a recruit both schools are pursuing. If fans of other teams aren't welcome, I'll stay away. I just know I always like a good discussion with other fan bases as long as it stays civil.

Lets get these guys in the Barn on Thursday and send them off w/ the energy of a sellout.

Checked a few websites and it looks like Race may be focusing his efforts on MN and Iowa St. given recent unofficial visits. Was at the Michigan game week+ ago and saw Darrell T. at the game. Darrell has been an awesome ambassador for Gopher athletics. Thrilled we have Oturu committed to MN. Kalschuer is engage, has come to games. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the play, recruiting outlook, etc. of our 2018 targets. Let's keep the Gopher train humming w/ great talent!

Darrell Thompson has earned the fruits of being a Gopher and is well respected in the Gopher community. His daughter went to Wisconsin to play volleyball (she wasn't offered), and not sure what is dragging the sons. You would think that after broadcasting for the football games, MC at many events, the kids would be on board as well.

I noticed Tre Jones was not at the game (at least not with the other recruits) but Apple Valleys head coach Zach Goring was directly behind the scoreboard operators, with one of his kids.

Players were a bit late (practice I assume) but AJ Green was there well before tipoff.

With a few of them holding Nebraska offers, this was a nice win.

Top Bottom