Loudest Barn Moment?

maliksealy

Reaction score
To long to wait till Thursday's game. In the meantime, what was the loudest you've ever heard Williams arena? One particular moment or a game.

Three come to mind (since we got tickets in 1990).

1. Voshon Lenard hits a 3 in the Gophers' 50-point victory over Indiana. There's a photo of the moment. Lenard's arms are in the air as he backs up on defense, and everyone in the stands is standing and screaming with their arms in the air.

2. Another Indiana game - in 2000. Gophers completing a comeback for a win, punctuated by a Joel Pryzbilla fast break jam off a feed from a steal. (He quit the team a couple days later.)

3. In the Final Four season, Illinois was giving them a game here. Bobby Jackson scores in transition with a one-handed slam and a foul. The only time he ever posed after a basket.

1989 (Burton, Newbern, Lynch, Coffey, etc.) over #3 Illinois (Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Marcus Liberty).

Minnesota players pre-introduction ramp up.

When I was at the U the men's team was crappy and the women were really good so my loudest Barn game was actually the second round of the NCAA women's tournament in 2004 when the 7th seeded Gophers demolished 2nd seeded Kansas State.

1989 (Burton, Newbern, Lynch, Coffey, etc.) over #3 Illinois (Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Marcus Liberty).

This is it for me as well, so...this is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple for me

Mn vs WI ...not sure of year..Vincent Greir could not miss.

OSU game. Blackout game a couple years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep. No doubt.... Illinois was #1 when they came to the Barn that evening though... IIRC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really close since 19,000 used to squeeze into The Barn in the early 70's. We beat Indiana one year ('72?) when Jim Brewer blocked a shot against Indiana at the end and we won by 1. There were games where it seemed like the whole building was shaking but Brewer's block I think took it to a new level.

I think that might be the same season Corky Taylor kneed Luke Witte and all hell broke loose. Just remember a constant roar as quite a few fans were on the floor, but that was anger and shock and not the sheer joy which was louder.

I recall being at a Michigan game, late in the Clem Haskins era when an underachieving Michigan team went down late in the year. This was probably 1999, and it was very loud in the barn. Michigan had Tractor Traylor, White, Macio Baston and some other 6'8 guy that could dunk beyond belief. I cannot recall who was coaching (maybe the Duke/ Harvard guy) Michigan at that time, but the results were well below the talent they had. Clem had a rugged team that played defense, so it was a very exciting win.

I recall being in there for a couple of the big wins vs. Indiana and Iowa (and maybe MSU) when they were highly ranked in recent years and it was loud, but not anything like the sound during the Clem Haskins years. Heck, NIT games at the Met Center (Georgetown)and the Target Center (Florida) in the Clem years were loud.

I was at that game vs. Kansas State, and the visitors (home team for NCAA) looked very out of sorts. I think UCLA might have had to play here as well week and they were very uncomfortable as well.

The KSU team had a couple of WNBA players on it and they looked shell shocked that night.

I was a huge fan of the 1989 Illinois Flying Illini team and was sad that Michigan took them down in the Final Four that year. The BTN Special on that team is very good. Gill, Anderson and Battle were three great players. I tried to be a very poor man's white, right handed Kenny Battle when I played pick up ball.

The gopher win in 1989 over that team was huge. I met a friend who just had returned from a work assignment in Alaska at the old Ciatti's at Larpentur and Snelling (now Stout's Pub) He arrived at the airport and met me at Ciatti's where we drank very cheap tall beers and ate some low cost appetizers and watched one of the greatest games I remember seeing. The noise in the bar and on the TV was incredible.

Three come to mind (since we got tickets in 1990).

1. Voshon Lenard hits a 3 in the Gophers' 50-point victory over Indiana. There's a photo of the moment. Lenard's arms are in the air as he backs up on defense, and everyone in the stands is standing and screaming with their arms in the air.

2. Another Indiana game - in 2000. Gophers completing a comeback for a win, punctuated by a Joel Pryzbilla fast break jam off a feed from a steal. (He quit the team a couple days later.)

3. In the Final Four season, Illinois was giving them a game here. Bobby Jackson scores in transition with a one-handed slam and a foul. The only time he ever posed after a basket.

Why was Pryzbilla suspended again?

I was at both of these. The 2000 Indiana game was roaring from tipoff to the final horn. Lots of loud games in 96-97. BJ also ver, very seldom dunked.

88-89 season, hosting a top 5 Iowa team led by Roy Marble and B.J. Armstrong. Got down by 17 in the first half and came all the way back to win on a Shikenjanski rebound. Marble's ensuing three as time expired came after the final horn and the whole place came unglued. I remember it being one of those turning point kind of games for the program and everybody else seemed to feel it also. Not sure if that was the loudest, but it's one of my favs. I missed the Illinois game that dmsame year due to having the flu. Still bums me out to this day.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Beating Michigan in 1997. We ran into the court. I had just had knee surgery but hoisted my buddy on my shoulders anyway. Very loud, very proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The roars heard throughout this documentary are so explosive i'm convinced they might be doctored

1996-1997 Gophers Basketball

The loudest roar this year on TV I think was vs Iowa trailing by 1 with a little over 2 minutes left in the 2nd half we turned it over, than Springs immediately stole it back and dished it to Coffey for a slam, refs took their time before Iowa inbounded, crowd got on it's feet(usually this is when the opposition nails a 3) Jok attempted a lazy shot along the baseline and Reggie didn't care about keeping ball in play,Reggie ends up on top of Jok and craziness ensues - LINK

Why was Pryzbilla suspended again?

Joel was still operating under the "Clem" concept of classroom attendance and Monson was brought in the clean up the program... boiled over after this game.

I would add a couple games to the loud o meter. 98/99 against Oregon and Cinnci. Joel had like 3 or 4 consecutive blocks against Oregon and the crowd went nuts and the Cinnci game when Kyle Sanden drained an unlikely 3.

My memory is the triple overtime win over Iowa in I think 94. We had a much better team but Iowa was on the upswing with a young Jess Settles, maybe a 26 year old freshman at the time, and gave the Gophers all they could handle. As I recall it was an underachieving team that year but that game pretty much locked us into the tournament.

It was also the origin of the slogan used in the midst of all tense games at the Barn among my group of season ticket holders. Massive rivalry game, tournament on the line, and the fans are on every call made by the refs and the environment is really intense. Near the end of one of the OT's, a professorial looking guy a row in front of us in section 212 decides to challenge the entire arena by shouting to no one who would listen, "It's only a game!" It was futile, of course, but it must have made him feel good. I ran into him in a church choir years later. He didn't recognize me, and I didn't acknowledge him. Ever since, all close games with some intensity elicit someone conjuring up, "It's only a game!"

The "Iron 5" wins over Ohio state and Iowa. Marc Wilson, John Shasky, Kelvin Smith, Ray Gaffney, and Tim Hanson logged all but 2 minutes of the available playing time against OSU. The place was crazy!

In particular when Willie Burton came out on the court after the game and whipped a towel around his head to fire up the crowd more.

I was at games during the Haskins era, and those are some of my earliest memories, but I was 6 during the final four run, so my perception of loud may have been skewed. I remember it being deafening though, and everyone super into the game. Not so today.

The court rush game when we beat #1 Indiana was pretty loud, probably the most excited I've personally been at the barn. This year, the Iowa game was pretty loud, but I was mostly nervous as heck.

I was at that game vs. Kansas State, and the visitors (home team for NCAA) looked very out of sorts. I think UCLA might have had to play here as well week and they were very uncomfortable as well.

The KSU team had a couple of WNBA players on it and they looked shell shocked that night.

Too lazy to look up, but one was Nicole Ohlde and not sure who the other was. I think the Lynx took her in the draft that year, too.

MN was underseeded that year due to Whalen's broken hand late in the year.

In the 1975-76 season I saw my first live Gopher game at Williams Arena. I hate to admit it, but in my misguided youth, I was secretly cheering for Bobby Knight's Hoosiers in that game. I do remember that our upper-level seats were shaking while the Gophers kept it close.

Couple for me

Mn vs WI ...not sure of year..Vincent Greir could not miss.

OSU game. Blackout game a couple years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Grier game in 2005 for me. He alone outscored WI in the second half. Being my first live WI-MN game in any sport. And being from the state that shall not be named made it pretty epic

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Beating Michigan in 1997. We ran into the court. I had just had knee surgery but hoisted my buddy on my shoulders anyway. Very loud, very proud.

You stormed the court four games into the Big Ten season when we were ranked #11 and we beat #16 Michigan??

Top Bottom