Loudest Barn Moment?

When I was at the U the men's team was crappy and the women were really good so my loudest Barn game was actually the second round of the NCAA women's tournament in 2004 when the 7th seeded Gophers demolished 2nd seeded Kansas State.

This.

Was this the game where Janel McCarville starched Nicole Ohlde on a brutal pic in the center circle, or am I getting games mixed up?

You stormed the court four games into the Big Ten season when we were ranked #11 and we beat #16 Michigan??

It was interesting. Michigan had been the preseason favorite, and they still felt like the team to beat at that point. The Gophers handled them pretty well, and you could feel we were on our way after that.

This.

Was this the game where Janel McCarville starched Nicole Ohlde on a brutal pic in the center circle, or am I getting games mixed up?

No, that was a UVa player the next year.

The K-State game might have been the loudest because of the age & gender of the crowd. It was loud from start to end.

It was interesting. Michigan had been the preseason favorite, and they still felt like the team to beat at that point. The Gophers handled them pretty well, and you could feel we were on our way after that.

I missed all the weekday games that season because I was working in Seattle during the week and home on the weekends :(

This.

Yup ...The grin on Janels face was priceless. Also warming up Whalen was giving the State players the Whalen stare. I told my wife. " State is going to get smoked"

For me the Musselman years . The overflow crowds watched the games on big screen in the hockey arena. They didn't enforce the Williams Arena fire codes and I remember Giel took some heat for that. People were sitting on the steps next to the rows. The Marquette game when they were ranked 2nd in the country and coached by Al McGuire was bat sh-t crazy. McGuire use comeout before tipoff and great the students. Some of the students picked up some rubber hotdogs and thew them on floor when McGuire paraded by them. 19,000 plus the 2-3 thousand in the hockey arena you walked out at the end and you didn't get your hearing back for 20 minutes.The best of times. The fans now are experiencing that in Nevada with Eric Musselman.
My buddy from Las Vegas went to Reno for the Boise State game and he said it was dejaveau.
People were in their seats an hour before tipoff.

Yup ...The grin on Janels face was priceless. Also warming up Whalen was giving the State players the Whalen stare. I told my wife. " State is going to get smoked"

Nope, like Ski U Mah said, it was against Virginia. Janel also paused to look at her and sort of skipped back. We were in the corner of their bench and when they got the player back to the bench she just put her head forward on the floor.

In the 1975-76 season I saw my first live Gopher game at Williams Arena. I hate to admit it, but in my misguided youth, I was secretly cheering for Bobby Knight's Hoosiers in that game. I do remember that our upper-level seats were shaking while the Gophers kept it close.

I was going to mention that game as well - it was the season the Hoosiers went undefeated all the way to the National Championship. My buddies and I got Scott May to flip us off.

Wasn't around for the "glory years" so to say, so it's tough to nail down one specific moment. However, I do remember when we beat wisconsin in 2013 or 2014, Austin Hollins had a huge throw down in the second half that was one of the loudest moments I remember from when I was a student.

Wasn't around for the "glory years" so to say, so it's tough to nail down one specific moment. However, I do remember when we beat wisconsin in 2013 or 2014, Austin Hollins had a huge throw down in the second half that was one of the loudest moments I remember from when I was a student.

That was a great game, and the dunk made for a great sound bite from BTN's Gus Johnson.

April 2017. Team returns home as NCAA champions and get a welcome not seen in Minnesota since the Twins arrived at the Dome. The Barn shakes as dust falls from the rafters, people crowd around the outside of The Barn, pushing to get in. Over 50,000 fans showed up, some waited hours just to see the bus pull onto campus.

The players, still holding a piece of the championship net, walk through the fans receiving hugs, high fives and slaps on the back. The band is there, playing the rouser on repeat, as echoes of "M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A" ring through Dinkytown. A helicopter flies over head, documenting everything for Channel 4.

Richard Pitino stands at half court, surrounded by his family, players and University officials. He quiets the crowd and speaks into the microphone "This one is for you, Gopher fans. SKI-U-MAH!!!" as the crowd erupts again. Final Four MVP Amir Coffey, walks to his coach and hugs him. "Gopher fans, Thank you. I will be back next year to defend this title." And again The Barn erupts.

Finally, as the team hoists the championship trophy, the noise becomes too much. The Barn lofts are crumbling due to being overcrowded. The fire marshall gave up hours ago. And this fans, is truly the loudest The Barn will ever be.

**the following day Reusse wrote a column saying Pitino needs to do it again to prove it and that the fans didn't seem to really care. He also threw a dig at home grown talent and P.J. Fleck**

From the 1989-90 season:

1. Against Wisconsin, Gophers were up by either 1 or 2 when one of their players (a freshman I think) got fouled with no time left. As he was at the free throw line, that was the single loudest moment I remember. He missed a free throw, Gophers win.

2. Overtime vs. Michigan St., who won the Big Ten that year and were led by Steve Smith. Gophers lost, but I have never been so hoarse in my life.

Tarver getting into a fight with the Puerto Rican national team during the exhibition's pre-game gift exchange.

From the 1989-90 season:

1. Against Wisconsin, Gophers were up by either 1 or 2 when one of their players (a freshman I think) got fouled with no time left. As he was at the free throw line, that was the single loudest moment I remember. He missed a free throw, Gophers win.

2. Overtime vs. Michigan St., who won the Big Ten that year and were led by Steve Smith. Gophers lost, but I have never been so hoarse in my life.

The Wisconsin player was Larry Hisle Jr., Son of Minnesota Twin Larry Hisle. He also missed key free throws against the Gophers in another.game.

From the 1989-90 season:

I thought of putting that one on my list, too. We didn't have season tix yet, but we went with single game tickets.

Top Bottom