BTN: Big Ten Power Rankings Week of 2/27: (#2. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

2. Minnesota (22-7, 10-6). It’s impossible to ignore Minnesota. Particularly when Jordan Murphy is racking up double-doubles on the regular and when Reggie Lynch is able to stay out of foul trouble. Lynch’s 11 blocks and zero fouls vs PSU looked like a box score typo. Everything is coming together at the right time for Richard Pitino and crew. They are clearly one of the best teams in this conference, and still are rising.

Last week: 6

http://btn.com/2017/02/27/power-rankings-minnesota-ascends-to-no-2-in-jon-crispins-poll/

Go Gophers!!

They did not list any Gopher on their first team during today's program prognostications. Murphy kind of received a high second team plug although they really did not forecast the second team. I guess they finalize this next Monday. With 9 wins in a row to finish the regular season, I don't see how they could not have Mason, Murphy and Lynch on their first and second teams.

I wonder if Lynch could be a candidate for DPOY or at least the favorite for the award going into next year. Will certainly make the all defensive team.

I wonder if Lynch could be a candidate for DPOY or at least the favorite for the award going into next year. Will certainly make the all defensive team.

Ryan James said on the new talk gopher buckets podcast that Lynch should have a good shot at it due to his gaudy shot blocking numbers, but that Ethan Happ might beat him out. Happ is at or close to the top of the Big Ten in steals per game.

I'd bet Mason is at least second team All Big Ten, and hopefully Murphy gets there too, but I could see his sort of slump in the middle of the conference season hurting him even though he's playing great now. I think Ryan also said Murphy can bring his rebounding average up to double digits if he has another 15+ rebound game or two. I would bet Coffey is on the all freshman team too.

Two questions:
1) are we talking B1G POY and first-teamers or BTN?
2) who is our last first-teamer?

So looking at potential 1st/2nd teamers

Basically we have Mason, Murphy, and Lynch as possible guys.

Some stats (in conference comparison) for the guys:
Mason: 8th in scoring, 3rd in APG (and 3rd in assist to TO ratio), 8th in steals
Murphy: 4th in rebounding
Lynch: 11th in rebounding, 1st in blocks by a lofty margin (next closest is averaging almost a full block less a game)

Would say that Mason is at least a 2nd teamer. Think he hits the first team if he does something clutch down the stretch and leads us to a couple more victories, especially if he goes off vs Wisconsin. Lynch a strong candidate for DPOY (but think Happ takes it) and definitely 1st team defense. If Murphy would've played the whole season like he is now, I'd put him as a 2nd teamer as well. Also Coffey will be a freshman first teamer.

Interesting, how on one hand on ESPN sees us #2 in the Big Ten and on another hand ranks us like the 50th best team in their power rankings.

Mason: 8th in scoring, 3rd in APG (and 3rd in assist to TO ratio), 8th in steals
Lynch: 11th in rebounding, 1st in blocks by a lofty margin (next closest is averaging almost a full block less a game)

Would say that Mason is at least a 2nd teamer. Think he hits the first team if he does something clutch down the stretch and leads us to a couple more victories, especially if he goes off vs Wisconsin. Lynch a strong candidate for DPOY (but think Happ takes it) and definitely 1st team defense. If Murphy would've played the whole season like he is now, I'd put him as a 2nd teamer as well. Also Coffey will be a freshman first teamer.

I agree with your analysis.

They did not list any Gopher on their first team during today's program prognostications. Murphy kind of received a high second team plug although they really did not forecast the second team. I guess they finalize this next Monday. With 9 wins in a row to finish the regular season, I don't see how they could not have Mason, Murphy and Lynch on their first and second teams.

A lot depends on how the Gophers finish and do in the BIG tourney. Mason is my pick at this point for 2nd team. Mason & Murphy have both had their down times. Murphy could show up if he finishes strong. IMO Lynch is a stretch for any BIG Honors. Amir could get all FR honors.

A lot depends on how the Gophers finish and do in the BIG tourney. Mason is my pick at this point for 2nd team. Mason & Murphy have both had their down times. Murphy could show up if he finishes strong. IMO Lynch is a stretch for any BIG Honors. Amir could get all FR honors.
If I'm not mistaken, the teams are announced prior to the BIG tourney.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm assuming they will use conference stats to determine this award. Mason is 4th in scoring, 2nd in assists, 2nd in assists to turnover, 6th in steals.

Murphy is 2nd in rebounds

Agree Mason is 1st team with a strong final week, Murphy 2nd or 3rd.

Those are the full season statistical rankings, not conference only. Basically all of them are much higher for conference games. Mason is 4th in scoring, 2nd in assists, 2d in assist/turnover ratio, 6th in steals, 4th in FT percentage. Murphy is 2d in rebounds, 13th in FG percentage, 11th in blocks. Lynch is 1st in blocks no matter how you slice it.

I think All-Conference teams should be based on conference play, and there's a decent argument for Mason as first team PG. Murphy would be first team if they had awards for second half o the conference season, but he's probably 3rd team or honorable mention.

Lynch should get some kind of recognition for defense.

I'm assuming they will use conference stats to determine this award. Mason is 4th in scoring, 2nd in assists, 2nd in assists to turnover, 6th in steals.

Murphy is 2nd in rebounds

Agree Mason is 1st team with a strong final week, Murphy 2nd or 3rd.

I don't think they do, it'd be the first I've heard of it if that were the case.

Ryan James said on the new talk gopher buckets podcast that Lynch should have a good shot at it due to his gaudy shot blocking numbers, but that Ethan Happ might beat him out. Happ is at or close to the top of the Big Ten in steals per game.

I'd bet Mason is at least second team All Big Ten, and hopefully Murphy gets there too, but I could see his sort of slump in the middle of the conference season hurting him even though he's playing great now. I think Ryan also said Murphy can bring his rebounding average up to double digits if he has another 15+ rebound game or two. I would bet Coffey is on the all freshman team too.

Many of Lynch's blocks are essentially steals. He does a great job keeping the ball inbounds.

I don't think they do, it'd be the first I've heard of it if that were the case.

Here's the article from last years awards. They go back and forth when discussing stats, some talked about our season stats, some are conference games only.

Do we think Dupree McBrayer has a chance at 6th man of the year? I would imagine he would be a shoo-in if they don't penalize him for starting too many games. I think he's starting 6 Big 10 games and came off the bench in 10

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030716aad.html

We always get hosed in these post season awards. I'll never forget Damian Johnson having a clear DPOY resume (top in blocks and 2nd in steals if I remember correctly) and not even making 1st team all defensive team.

Who are the top freshmen in the league? Coffey obviously should be a contender for first team all freshmen, but could Curry too?

EDIT: Dame was 1st in steals and 3rd in blocks. Still pisses me off.

Damian Johnson.JPG

We always get hosed in these post season awards. I'll never forget Damian Johnson having a clear DPOY resume (top in blocks and 2nd in steals if I remember correctly) and not even making 1st team all defensive team.

Who are the top freshmen in the league? Coffey obviously should be a contender for first team all freshmen, but could Curry too?

View attachment 4798

Miles Bridges is pretty solid: 16.3 PPG, 8.2 RPG

View attachment 4798

It will be Coffey, Nick Ward, Miles Bridges, Cassius Winston and Tyler Cook.

Wow, Pitino's preseason projection was right. Mason is the best all round pg in the conference. Sad if he isn't at least 2nd team.
As for Big10 freshman of the year, it will go to Bridges. He makes Michigan St. offense go. Not to say Amir isn't a strong candidate and is a heck of player.

Do they pick just one player per position for 1st team, 2nd team, ect.?

Wow, Pitino's preseason projection was right. Mason is the best all round pg in the conference. Sad if he isn't at least 2nd team.
As for Big10 freshman of the year, it will go to Bridges. He makes Michigan St. offense go. Not to say Amir isn't a strong candidate and is a heck of player.

Do they pick just one player per position for 1st team, 2nd team, ect.?

No - positions aren't listed. On the 2nd team last year for example there wasn't a big man.

In looking at the stats, I was surprised to see that Coffey is playing more minutes (36.1) that anyone in the conference during conference games.

In looking at the stats, I was surprised to see that Coffey is playing more minutes (36.1) that anyone in the conference during conference games.

I think its because he doesn't have a true backup. I know Pitino tried the 3 guard lineup early on, but I think he found it to be too big of a defensive liability. Springs/Dupree may not have been able to guard bigger wing players.

Top Bottom