Gophers 32nd in Coaches Poll, behind Middle Tenn St. & Dayton

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That's an absolute joke. Obviously, we all know rankings don't really matter, but cmon..

On the one hand that's garbage. On the other hand- this keeps the team in a "we'll show 'em" mindset and that might be best at the moment going into this last week. Win two this week and we take a serious jump.

That's really a slap in the face but honestly I kinda would rather have it be that way. Keep flying under the radar until the Big Dance. Then we'll show them what's up!

Good, could care less where we are ranked and I like the idea of the players having something to be ticked off about to keep their edge over these last two regular season games.

Good, could care less where we are ranked and I like the idea of the players having something to be ticked off about to keep their edge over these last two regular season games.

+1

Exposure is everything. Being in the Top 25 for as many weeks as possible is a good thing.

More ESPN Top 25 highlights, more air time for Pitino's face, more maroon M's plastered over articles on the Internet... it's all exposure, and it's all good.

For this year's "let's sneak up on everybody" mission, fine. But moving forward, we should want to be in the Top 25 every week of the year.

Iowa beating MD stole the thunder we had.

Exposure is everything. Being in the Top 25 for as many weeks as possible is a good thing.

More ESPN Top 25 highlights, more air time for Pitino's face, more maroon M's plastered over articles on the Internet... it's all exposure, and it's all good.

For this year's "let's sneak up on everybody" mission, fine. But moving forward, we should want to be in the Top 25 every week of the year.

I have a feeling it won't be an issue next season, barring injury to key players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially with the coaches poll, I hearken back to the early days of Pitino when many of the Old-Timers in the coaching fraternity were torqued off about how Tubby was treated by the U and took it out on Richard. This may be residual effect from that bitterness.

Agree that next year we hopefully camp out in the top 25 for the entire season but for this point of this season the more us against the world mentality the team can employ the better.

Isn't the coaches poll usually a good week behind goings on though? I remember hearing that a few years ago.

Think it's clear Gophers one of the top 30 teams in the country. I have to believe the coaches poll is more of a reflection of what is thought of the B1G as a whole.

Don't sleep on Middle Tennessee. Seriously.

Giddy Potts. Reggie Upshaw.

Michigan State very familiar with those names, and that school. Blue Raiders are really good, and rather dangerous.

On the one hand that's garbage. On the other hand- this keeps the team in a "we'll show 'em" mindset and that might be best at the moment going into this last week. Win two this week and we take a serious jump.

I rarely disagree with you bga1, but unfortunately I don't think UMn will jump much at all if we win 2 games this week. Why? Because beating Nebraska won't impress anyone, and at the rate Wisconsin is going, losing 4 of their last 5 games, if we beat Wisconsin that would give them 5-6 losses in their last 7 games and Wisconsin would simply be seen as an overrated team and would drop out of the rankings, and we might creep into the Top 25, but just barely.

I don't think we'll get any respect in the Top 25 polls until we win a 2nd game in the B1G Conf tourney, and then we have to either win the Conf tourney or at least keep the game close.

There is a big difference for the Gophers between RPI and these other computer polls.

Bigger than most other teams this high in the rankings.

I believe the only reason it could be is their many games with overtime and a narrow margin of victory that has been hurting them holding them back in these polls.
Of course, many of these polls are based on secret formulas, so we have no idea what's really going it.

A couple of those metrics have started to come closer to their RPI rating. The Massey Rating has them at #27 and both the Ken-Pom and Sagarin Ratings have them at #30

Top Bottom