Home side at TCF

Swaggerson

Bank Sect 112 Barn Sect 102
Reaction score
I had heard rumors that the Gophers were changing sides of the field for 2017. Email I received late last week still shows visitors in the sun. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

No answer to your question, but I've sat on the visitors side for a number of years, felt that it's been far and away the better side to sit on temperature wise (1-2 exceptions), and I don't feel that sitting behind the Gopher bench gains you anything.

IMO, if they were smart, Minnesota would choose their game day side early on the day of the game, based on weather conditions.

It was a Claeys thing. He mentioned he was considering it, however I think Fleck hasn't put any thought into it.

I'd be shocked if they moved it at this point (unless it was just for a single NC game to try it out). Whatever your feelings on the subject are, I think they would have had to communicate if there was a full time change taking place so people could move (or at least complain) if they wanted.

I was at a Vikings game and it seemed to work just fine, but it still seems odd that the visiting team's entrance to their locker room would be behind the home team's bench in that scenario...

what would it do for locker room adjustments? players cross field etc.

Why not switch mid-season? Stay in the shade for the hot early games, then grab the sunny side when it gets cold out.

sunny side for fans for sure. big difference mid to late season.

For the Gophers, They would still go to the endzone to get to locker room. Not that big of a deal.
The visitors would have to cross the field, but since the entrance is close to the endzone they would not have to cross paths with the Gophers.
Would be a good move for them to stay in the shade for the early games and move to the sun for the late season games.

I had heard rumors that the Gophers were changing sides of the field for 2017. Email I received late last week still shows visitors in the sun. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

I heard this also. I posted it on here and people thought I was making it up. It would make sense if they changed sides. Vikings took the other side. That sun makes a difference.

I heard this also. I posted it on here and people thought I was making it up. It would make sense if they changed sides. Vikings took the other side. That sun makes a difference.
Might have been a Tracy Claeys idea that didn't carry over to the new staff.

sunny side for fans for sure. big difference mid to late season.

I've been asking for this since I spent a cold year the opening season. I have since moved to the light. I remember the Gopher side was the north side in Memorial Stadium.

The other side of this is as we get later into October and certainly by November, the sun is very much in the eyes of the coaches on the sidelines on the current Visitors side. This is especially true for the rare 2:30 starts.

Yes, the play calls come from the skyboxes and coaches have the best sunglasses, but you'll still see those on the sidelines with hands, arms, and playsheets up to shade their eyes.

Whether this leads to anything measurable in terms of X's and O' s who knows. But it's something that does happen with the current arrangement.

We're on the "sunny side" and it's just fine. We don't want to change.

The other side of this is as we get later into October and certainly by November, the sun is very much in the eyes of the coaches on the sidelines on the current Visitors side. This is especially true for the rare 2:30 starts.

Yes, the play calls come from the skyboxes and coaches have the best sunglasses, but you'll still see those on the sidelines with hands, arms, and playsheets up to shade their eyes.

Whether this leads to anything measurable in terms of X's and O' s who knows. But it's something that does happen with the current arrangement.

We're on the "sunny side" and it's just fine. We don't want to change.

What are those?!?!?!?

In an unprecedented move...both teams will be relegated to stand in the back of the end zone so that the cheerleaders have more space to cheer. [emoji133] [emoji322] [emoji323]

Pansies, maybe one Game a year I miss not having sun, bundle up

"What are those?!?!?!?"

Hopefully we see more...and need the sunshades ourselves.:cool:

I always liked being on the north/ sunny side. I do not mind the heat at all when it is hot, and during the cooler games it has always felt great when the sun comes out. A 28=40 degree game feels warm if the sun is out. My seats were very low, so that might have kept the wind in check.

The other great thing about being on that side was being up close and seeing the visiting team's coaches and players up close. A Brian Ferentz meltdown during the 51-14 Iowa beatdown was especially enjoyable. Watching the players and coaches interact and hearing some of that they say to each other is fun. I do not think I'd get the same enjoyment about watching the same U of M people in front of me every week.

You can get a pretty good read of the mental state of the visiting team at the game progresses over on that side. Facial expressions, reactions to what their coaches and teammates have to say, ect are all very obvious. The reactions to the Gopher hecklers are sort of odd and interesting too see as well. It is often visiting staff and sideline pass people that start to melt down when heckled, not the players.

Ahhhh. It is time for the quarterly "sun vs shade" discussion.

I like the home side. I like to look upon the faces of those farming families as well as the faces of the swimming and diving champions when they are introduced. I like having the band face me when they are on the field. I like not having to turn my head to view the big scoreboard. I like feeling comfortable during those early season sunny games (and fondly remember my bro-in-law calling me to see if there was room to come over from his seats on the sunny during two blazing hot games).

Perhaps my mom said it best way back when I was a kid: you can only ever take so much clothes off to get cool, but you can always put more clothes on to get warm.

And, the benefit of being on the north side requires two important factors: 1) cold, late season game and 2) sunshine. Night games or even cloudy games (lots of cloudy weather in November) result in zero warmth advantage to sitting on the "sunny" side.

It is a big deal to some people and they certainly do feel smart when the stars align to deliver a cold day, a day game, and a cloudless afternoon. I might even consider changing my preference if the home side switches to the north. It made more sense for the Vikings as they play into December and January.

Everyone is different. Preferences are different. Nobody "wins" this discussion. It is like arguing over music.

I feel this is the same circular "heard rumor" ever since it started...

I'm always amazed when this comes up every 3-4 months how passionate people are about the topic

Top Bottom