1997 Does Exist!

Last I checked I did not get a refund on the 3 seasons tickets I purchased for that season.

Always the fine example of a flexible, open mind. Very impressive.

When the facts change, my mind will change. Do you have evidence of any new facts? Biased posters whining about it and wistfully longing for the days of ill-gotten "achievements" certainly isn't going to change my mind. I can tell that someone having a consistent ethical standard really bothers you.

I've made my position very clear, multiple times. If a thread is started on it, I'm going to comment on it. I'm not going to stop because of your feeble made-up personal attacks. Deal with it.

Thanks for agreeing with me. You have no self-control. You are unstable. Seek help immediately.

Also, enroll in a remedial logic course immediately. Your analogies are both logically flawed and twisted.

Think whatever you want. I'm going to point out what the facts are. You get to think whatever you want, but I don't get to do the same without being called names, right? Look throughout this thread at who's discussing the situation and who's attacking people.

You're miserable. It must be tiring to have to do what you do on this board. I wonder how you are in person? If you're like this, I can't imagine people put up with this personality/ego/act for long.

Regardless of what you say, I was a student at the U in 1996-1997. That season was still probably my favorite overall MN sports experience of my life. It happened. I watched it. I felt it. Just like USC - who I love to cheer against - was one of the greatest football dynasties in the last 20+ years. Just like Barry Bonds was one of the greatest hitters we ever saw. Those are moments we will never forget. These "cheaters" are a product of their surroundings at those times. If you think they were the only ones doing it, you're daft.

I cannot wait until Bonds is elected into the HOF. I imagine that will be a challenge for you.

One more newsflash: human beings have been cheating and cutting corners for centuries. In all facets of life. Deal with it. Or maybe go join a convent?

When the facts change, my mind will change. Do you have evidence of any new facts? Biased posters whining about it and wistfully longing for the days of ill-gotten "achievements" certainly isn't going to change my mind. I can tell that someone having a consistent ethical standard really bothers you.

The fact that you think you have a "consistent ethical standard" that others do not possess is the height of arrogance.

What bothers me is your Orwellian desire to whitewash history and pretend something never happened.

And I thought you were going to run things by me before you post? Keep me in the loop. I'm here to help.

The UNC investigation is ongoing. Whine when the NCAA actually makes a decision.

What does this even mean?
It's not ongoing. The NCAA is just dragging it out until no one remembers and they can quietly close the book. The NCAA knows exactly what happened, but UNC has an economic status for basketball that the NCAA refuses to touch because the NCAA is about revenue, not moral and ethical justice.

What does this even mean?

You take great pleasure in beating everyone over the head on the 1997 team over and over. It does no one any good except that you appear to enjoy it more than any current victory. On this topic, you're nothing less than a troll.

Yeah, no it's not. Nice overstatement.

A tutor writing some term papers for students isn't the equivalent of assassinating the President? I'm inclined to agree with you but DPO is never wrong...

Last I checked I did not get a refund on the 3 seasons tickets I purchased for that season.

I know you said that tongue in cheek, but I wish there was a rule if they were going to take awards, etc away from the players, why should the fans have paid to watch a game that truly didn't matter?

I bet that would give universities a second thought when allowing schools to cheat.

Think whatever you want. I'm going to point out what the facts are. You get to think whatever you want, but I don't get to do the same without being called names, right? Look throughout this thread at who's discussing the situation and who's attacking people.

People having and wanting to continue to have fond memories of a great team to watch, is not a sin. No one in here is condoning cheating, and no one is whining or complaining or saying that it was unfair that the NCAA came down on the program.

And the U went farther than EVERYONE else. Do a search online and you will that almost every site still lists Minnesota as a Final Four participant in 1997, they just put an asterisk by it, so people can read the disclaimer if they so choose.

Go to Gophersports dot com and all you see are blank spaces, as if the team literally didn't exist during those seasons.

Go to an NBA site and I'm pretty sure they list all of the college stats of the players on those teams that went on to the NBA.

And you are being an a-hole by bringing it up ALL OF THE TIME. Give it a rest dude. I tell you, you better hope I never meet you in real life and figure out that you are who you are in here, because I have an education in religion and I'll point out constantly and without ever stopping, how you are a sinner and your religious beliefs or non-beliefs are wrong. Because THOSE ARE THE FACTS. lol

Wouldn't you be appreciative of my trying to enlighten you to the facts, to the truth? How could you not want that, how could you not want me following you around everywhere you went being the wet blanket not allowing you any freedom to do anything outside of the most strictest sense of the law? Rules are rules, and I GAURANTEE THAT YOU ARE BREAKING THEM!!!!!!!

I am 100% sure that you are sinning. And that you don't want someone like me constantly badgering you about it, and nitpicking and taking away your freedom to live your life however you want and choose to live it. Do you want a co-worker constantly preaching to you and judging you? Do you want your wife or one of your kids constantly preaching to you and judging you? Do you want your best friend to start constantly preaching to you and judging you? If any of those people starting doing that, you would RUN FOR THE HILLS, to escape their constant preaching and judgment of you.

Yet that is what you do in here. So that makes you a hypocrite.

And that is akin to what you are doing in here. You are like the guy who used to drink all the time, that went sober and now goes to parties and tries to moralize and judge everyone and ruin their fun. They know that drinking is not healthy, but they enjoy it, and its their legal right to do it. You are like the ashhole that tries to ruin every party.

Dude, you are free to go to the party, but let other people drink if they want to drink, let them do whatever is legally their right to do, and stop being the ashhole that feels compelled to shove his views or beliefs down other people's throats.

NOTHING any Gopher fan says about those years can change the fact that they are vacated and never ever will count ever again.

Gopher fans who were not the ones responsible for the program cheating, were made to suffer. Gopher fans were innocent victims of someone else's cheating, and were made to suffer by having their favorite team punished and the records of their favorite team stripped from the record books, isn't that enough punishment for a crime they did not commit?

Apparently not, apparently YOU feel that Gopher fans have not suffered enough and that it is upon you to be the one to make them suffer more and more and more.

Shame on you.

You are like the guy who reminds the parents that their son killed someone, everyday for the rest of their lives, so as to make sure they never forget what their son did. And if they try to remember the past, when their son was a young boy and hadn't yet done anything wrong, you jump in and try to make them feel guilty for wanting to enjoy memories of their son.

I could go on for hours coming up with examples of how what you are doing in here, constantly bringing up bad and painful memories and trying to force your moral beliefs down other people's throats is shameful. BUT I am probably wasting my time as you have MADE UP YOUR MIND AND YOU WON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND NO MATTER WHAT, right?

I know you said that tongue in cheek, but I wish there was a rule if they were going to take awards, etc away from the players, why should the fans have paid to watch a game that truly didn't matter?

I bet that would give universities a second thought when allowing schools to cheat.

I have always wondered if there's some clause in the season ticket agreement that voids any claim for refund due to anything like that.

People having and wanting to continue to have fond memories of a great team to watch, is not a sin. No one in here is condoning cheating, and no one is whining or complaining or saying that it was unfair that the NCAA came down on the program.

And the U went farther than EVERYONE else. Do a search online and you will that almost every site still lists Minnesota as a Final Four participant in 1997, they just put an asterisk by it, so people can read the disclaimer if they so choose.

Go to Gophersports dot com and all you see are blank spaces, as if the team literally didn't exist during those seasons.

Go to an NBA site and I'm pretty sure they list all of the college stats of the players on those teams that went on to the NBA.

And you are being an a-hole by bringing it up ALL OF THE TIME. Give it a rest dude. I tell you, you better hope I never meet you in real life and figure out that you are who you are in here, because I have an education in religion and I'll point out constantly and without ever stopping, how you are a sinner and your religious beliefs or non-beliefs are wrong. Because THOSE ARE THE FACTS. lol

Wouldn't you be appreciative of my trying to enlighten you to the facts, to the truth? How could you not want that, how could you not want me following you around everywhere you went being the wet blanket not allowing you any freedom to do anything outside of the most strictest sense of the law? Rules are rules, and I GAURANTEE THAT YOU ARE BREAKING THEM!!!!!!!

I am 100% sure that you are sinning. And that you don't want someone like me constantly badgering you about it, and nitpicking and taking away your freedom to live your life however you want and choose to live it. Do you want a co-worker constantly preaching to you and judging you? Do you want your wife or one of your kids constantly preaching to you and judging you? Do you want your best friend to start constantly preaching to you and judging you? If any of those people starting doing that, you would RUN FOR THE HILLS, to escape their constant preaching and judgment of you.

Yet that is what you do in here. So that makes you a hypocrite.

And that is akin to what you are doing in here. You are like the guy who used to drink all the time, that went sober and now goes to parties and tries to moralize and judge everyone and ruin their fun. They know that drinking is not healthy, but they enjoy it, and its their legal right to do it. You are like the ashhole that tries to ruin every party.

Dude, you are free to go to the party, but let other people drink if they want to drink, let them do whatever is legally their right to do, and stop being the ashhole that feels compelled to shove his views or beliefs down other people's throats.

NOTHING any Gopher fan says about those years can change the fact that they are vacated and never ever will count ever again.

Gopher fans who were not the ones responsible for the program cheating, were made to suffer. Gopher fans were innocent victims of someone else's cheating, and were made to suffer by having their favorite team punished and the records of their favorite team stripped from the record books, isn't that enough punishment for a crime they did not commit?

Apparently not, apparently YOU feel that Gopher fans have not suffered enough and that it is upon you to be the one to make them suffer more and more and more.

Shame on you.

You are like the guy who reminds the parents that their son killed someone, everyday for the rest of their lives, so as to make sure they never forget what their son did. And if they try to remember the past, when their son was a young boy and hadn't yet done anything wrong, you jump in and try to make them feel guilty for wanting to enjoy memories of their son.

I could go on for hours coming up with examples of how what you are doing in here, constantly bringing up bad and painful memories and trying to force your moral beliefs down other people's throats is shameful. BUT I am probably wasting my time as you have MADE UP YOUR MIND AND YOU WON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND NO MATTER WHAT, right?

There are more apt analogies in this post than anything Dollie has ever written.

The 1996-97 season will live for me forever because of the case of chlamydia I got from a local chica in San Antonio during the Midwest Regional (actually I made that up, but that weekend road trip, and those games, remain one of the most fun weekends I've ever had and nothing can take that away).

The 1996-97 season will live for me forever because of the case of chlamydia I got from a local chica in San Antonio during the Midwest Regional (actually I made that up, but that weekend road trip, and those games, remain one of the most fun weekends I've ever had and nothing can take that away).

We went to Kansas City the weekend before, and we still talk about it.

Oh, I get the point just fine. This program is so devoid of achievement historically that people cling to an "accomplishment" gained through cheating and celebrate it as though it were legitimate. As long as it continues to get brought up (note that I didn't post the OP), I will continue to provide a factual counterpoint. If you don't want me to talk about it, stop bringing it up.

I'm really hoping that we get a legitimate Final Four appearance in the next year or two in the hopes that people will stop romanticizing the most shameful period in University of Minnesota athletics history.

I loved those Clem Haskins Gophers teams. You can choose to hate on them if you want. Took my son to the first and second round games of the NCAA Tourney and had a great time. Met Clem and got his autograph.

#faketroll. Bunch of silly handwringing to garner attention. Let's talk after NC gets probation (LOL)

All I know is that I have a stack of newspapers from that spring recording what happened.

Yes, it happened.

I've made my position very clear, multiple times. If a thread is started on it, I'm going to comment on it. I'm not going to stop because of your feeble made-up personal attacks. Deal with it.

Did I get him to stop? I'd feel I accomplished something good if I shamed his judgemental arse into letting it go!!!

Following the 1997 Gopher Men's BB team was the most fun I think I ever had as a Gopher fan, since they were on such a big national stage, as compared to watching the Wrestling and hockey teams win titles, which were all very close 2nds. And no matter how much I hate what Haskins did and how it's tarnished our cbb program's reputation and history, it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how much I resent what Tubby did to everyone involved, but none of those ill feelings can change the fact that "at the time" it was the most fun I had as a Gopher fan.

And honestly, the LAST thing I need is some prick like dpodoll68 thinking innocent Gopher fans that weren't in on the cheating, need to suffer any more than we already have AND WILL continue to suffer.

For the rest of our lives, we'll NEVER be able to regain what the 1997 team did, officially. How many wins and trips to the NCAA tourney and an NIT Title even, were PERMANANTLY erased from the records??? We'd have to win 4-5 National Titles in a row before we could recover what was taken from us, and I'm not just talking about past records that were stripped, but all of the future potential success that would have otherwise been there for the taking, with or without Haskins as the coach. And I don't see even the most positive hopeful thinking diehard fans of RP thinking that will ever happen. Cbb just isn't the kind of sport that lends to winning many, if any, Titles in a row, not without cheating like UCLA did. So outside of winning 4-5 titles in a row, it will take a decade of great basketball to get the program back to where it was, and several decades of really great bb to get us to where we might have gotten to if the scandal had never happened.

And no, dpodlk, I am not saying that I wish Haskins hadn't gotten caught, I'm talking about, what might have or would have happened had Haskins and his players NOT CHEATED, so spare me your condescending judgemental bs.

Yeah, ALL Gopher fans have suffered plenty and will continue to suffer, for the rest of their lives. Does that make you happy Dpodlk?

Umm, 1 National Title would be sufficient for me to forget all previous Gopher Basketball missteps and donate funds for construction of a 12 foot high statue of Pitino in front of Williams Arena!!

Just 1.

Did I get him to stop? I'd feel I accomplished something good if I shamed his judgemental arse into letting it go!!!

Following the 1997 Gopher Men's BB team was the most fun I think I ever had as a Gopher fan, since they were on such a big national stage, as compared to watching the Wrestling and hockey teams win titles, which were all very close 2nds. And no matter how much I hate what Haskins did and how it's tarnished our cbb program's reputation and history, it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how much I resent what Tubby did to everyone involved, but none of those ill feelings can change the fact that "at the time" it was the most fun I had as a Gopher fan.

And honestly, the LAST thing I need is some prick like dpodoll68 thinking innocent Gopher fans that weren't in on the cheating, need to suffer any more than we already have AND WILL continue to suffer.

For the rest of our lives, we'll NEVER be able to regain what the 1997 team did, officially. How many wins and trips to the NCAA tourney and an NIT Title even, were PERMANANTLY erased from the records??? We'd have to win 4-5 National Titles in a row before we could recover what was taken from us, and I'm not just talking about past records that were stripped, but all of the future potential success that would have otherwise been there for the taking, with or without Haskins as the coach. And I don't see even the most positive hopeful thinking diehard fans of RP thinking that will ever happen. Cbb just isn't the kind of sport that lends to winning many, if any, Titles in a row, not without cheating like UCLA did. So outside of winning 4-5 titles in a row, it will take a decade of great basketball to get the program back to where it was, and several decades of really great bb to get us to where we might have gotten to if the scandal had never happened.

And no, dpodlk, I am not saying that I wish Haskins hadn't gotten caught, I'm talking about, what might have or would have happened had Haskins and his players NOT CHEATED, so spare me your condescending judgemental bs.

Yeah, ALL Gopher fans have suffered plenty and will continue to suffer, for the rest of their lives. Does that make you happy Dpodlk?

Don't flatter yourself, yahoo.

This is what I posted in a thread a while back about the 1996-1997 team:

I'm really torn over the 1996-1997 Gophers. That's when I first starting watching college basketball and when I started liking the Gophers. I was 11 at the time, and where I was living(south central PA) there were always Big 10 games on ESPN+, which we somehow got even with just our antenna(If any of you can remember that?) It felt like they were on every single weekend(there was usually a double or triple header). Bobby Jackson is still my favorite all-time Gopher even though I can only recollect what he did in that season. I remember the Clemson and UCLA games in the tournament, as well as the loss to UK in the FF. What happened on the eve of the 1999 tournament still really bums me out. I was really excited for that game against Gonzaga, and even after everything came out I still was. I guess being so young at the time, I didn't really understand the implications this would have on the Gophers for the next 5 years or so.

The reason I'm torn is because that 1996-1997 is the reason I'm still a Gophers fan to this day, and I wouldn't trade all the ups and downs of the program for anything. Because of that I am grateful for the 1996-1997 Gophers team, because if they wouldn't have had the success they did, they may have not been on TV as much as they were. But at the same time, they had guys playing that could have been ineligible.

Because of that I appreciate the success the 1996-1997 team on the court, but I can't count it towards anything.

It was as much fun as any season I have followed with any other local team - pro, college, high school. Any sport.

There is a hole in my heart that pains me every time I look to the rafters to read the banners in Williams arena. Solid, life long memories mixed with anger and sadness. Also some resentment toward what I see as a double standard when it comes to situations like North Carolina.

Angry with Clem too. He wrecked his own legacy.

https://youtu.be/xpbq5l-_A8E

Look at our President and tell me cheaters are not rewarded.

Hahaha you had me spitting water out all over my desk reading that. Well done.

Top Bottom