1997 Does Exist!

Thanks for posting this, so I can quote it:

"However, an academic fraud scandal revealed in 1999 erased all official records of the team."

You miss the point, every time. You've dug in so deep that only your nose is showing.
There is literally no person on this board saying that these results are official.
You. Miss. The. Point.

You miss the point, every time. You've dug in so deep that only your nose is showing.
There is literally no person on this board saying that these results are official.
You. Miss. The. Point.

Oh, I get the point just fine. This program is so devoid of achievement historically that people cling to an "accomplishment" gained through cheating and celebrate it as though it were legitimate. As long as it continues to get brought up (note that I didn't post the OP), I will continue to provide a factual counterpoint. If you don't want me to talk about it, stop bringing it up.

I'm really hoping that we get a legitimate Final Four appearance in the next year or two in the hopes that people will stop romanticizing the most shameful period in University of Minnesota athletics history.

I'm really hoping that we get a legitimate Final Four appearance in the next year or two in the hopes that people will stop romanticizing the most shameful period in University of Minnesota athletics history.

to be fair we've had a lot of shameful things and I'm not sure that last year of sexual related scandals(mainly mega tongue and the football team) and drug rings doesn't pass the academic misconduct in my mind in shamefulness.

Oh, I get the point just fine. This program is so devoid of achievement historically that people cling to an "accomplishment" gained through cheating and celebrate it as though it were legitimate. As long as it continues to get brought up (note that I didn't post the OP), I will continue to provide a factual counterpoint. If you don't want me to talk about it, stop bringing it up.

The moral, self-righteous knight we need.

Fight on, morality warrior!

UNC has done it for the past 30 years. The only difference is that the NCAA crapped their pants when handing down any punishment on UNC.

Thanks for playing the role of "fan-not fan" so wonderfully, dpodoll.

UNC has done it for the past 30 years. The only difference is that the NCAA crapped their pants when handing down any punishment on UNC.

The UNC investigation is ongoing. Whine when the NCAA actually makes a decision.

Thanks for playing the role of "fan-not fan" so wonderfully, dpodoll.

What does this even mean?

I remember Jeff Shelman (former Strib beat writer) explaining why he chose to reference the wiped years instead of ignoring them. There were a few reasons, but the bigger picture was that, when you were making historical comparisons to past teams, it's more meaningful and complete to include all years in order to put the present in perspective. He also said it was too complicated to write and read disclaimers in every article he produced. He explained but did not apologize.

It's appropriate for us to own the past, which means acknowledging everything, including that the games were played. The NCAA had to wipe the records, but even they wouldn't recommend fans disregarding their program's past games; that would be nonsensical.

What does this even mean?

Single question: Did you enjoy watching the 1996-97 season?

That season was fun to watch and we all have good memories of it, even you. I suspect you wouldn't get as much flak as you do if you simply said, "I enjoyed watching those games" in the same breath as "it was an academic scandal and those games don't officially count." It's ok to say that.

I remember Jeff Shelman (former Strib beat writer) explaining why he chose to reference the wiped years instead of ignoring them. There were a few reasons, but the bigger picture was that, when you were making historical comparisons to past teams, it's more meaningful and complete to include all years in order to put the present in perspective. He also said it was too complicated to write and read disclaimers in every article he produced. He explained but did not apologize.

It's appropriate for us to own the past, which means acknowledging everything, including that the games were played. The NCAA had to wipe the records, but even they wouldn't recommend fans disregarding their program's past games; that would be nonsensical.
Excellent and reasonable post!
I met the love of my life that winter, and part of our courtship was that exciting '97 season (elation is quite the aphrodisiac!) - so it was a natural for us to pick up season tickets when they became available after the scandal. It doesn't lessen the seriousness of the activity that led to vacating of the season for me say that we're celebrating 20 years together in style this year at the Barn!

Single question: Did you enjoy watching the 1996-97 season?

Yes, when I assumed that the games were played reputably. Your question is akin to asking Mrs. Lincoln whether she enjoyed the first half of the play.

That season was fun to watch and we all have good memories of it, even you. I suspect you wouldn't get as much flak as you do if you simply said, "I enjoyed watching those games" in the same breath as "it was an academic scandal and those games don't officially count." It's ok to say that.

I don't care, at all, whether I get flak on here. I'm just amused when the OP starts a thread looking for a very specific reaction, gets that reaction, and then many of you get your tits in a wringer because I continue to say the exact same thing I've said hundreds of times before. My position isn't ever going to change, so get used to it. Like I said earlier - if you want me to stop talking about it, stop starting threads and making posts about it.

Does not have to be about morals but ethics are different. What if your child cheated to get a trophy or a A on an exam versus following the rules and earning it ? I was there for 25 games that season , including the whole tournament but for me it was all stripped away. The UNC success should be wiped out as well. Those are rules, morality is a judgement.

No you actually don't get the point. Not celebrating anything. Just remembering a team that was fun to watch and made up of several of my all time favorite players. I understand in your black and white world that's "romanticizing" but who in the hell are you to tell others how they should think? Oh, that's right. Mr. Factual, moral guardian of GH ... or ... the Smartest Guy in the Room, whose chain can be pulled at will.

Yes, when I assumed that the games were played reputably. Your question is akin to asking Mrs. Lincoln whether she enjoyed the first half of the play.

I don't care, at all, whether I get flak on here. I'm just amused when the OP starts a thread looking for a very specific reaction, gets that reaction, and then many of you get your tits in a wringer because I continue to say the exact same thing I've said hundreds of times before. My position isn't ever going to change, so get used to it. Like I said earlier - if you want me to stop talking about it, stop starting threads and making posts about it.

I bet Mrs. Lincoln was able to look back fondly at the first half of the play. I mean a good play is a good play, and it still happened.

Your analogy is incorrect.

Also, your claim about that team being a part of the most shameful period in school history is delicious. Whatever happened to you in your life must have been very traumatic to cause such an inferiority complex that you constantly display.

I hope the morning doughnut eases the pain momentarily before that self-hating begins and your crusade continues.

Excellent and reasonable post!
I met the love of my life that winter, and part of our courtship was that exciting '97 season (elation is quite the aphrodisiac!) - so it was a natural for us to pick up season tickets when they became available after the scandal. It doesn't lessen the seriousness of the activity that led to vacating of the season for me say that we're celebrating 20 years together in style this year at the Barn!

That is so dang heartwarming. Congrats on 20 years of Gopher Love!

I'm still pissed Mychal Thompson sold tickets.

I think this current team can be every bit as good as the '97 team.....next year. That team had a lot of close/OT games as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your analogy is incorrect.

No, it's precisely correct.

Also, your claim about that team being a part of the most shameful period in school history is delicious. Whatever happened to you in your life must have been very traumatic to cause such an inferiority complex that you constantly display.

Stop making it about me. It has nothing to do with me. Talk about the topic rather than pitiful attempts to ridicule someone.

I hope the morning doughnut eases the pain momentarily before that self-hating begins and your crusade continues.

I haven't had a doughnut in probably 10 years. I'm not a big sweets eater. Regardless, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I don't hate myself and I'm not on a crusade. If someone brings it up, I'm going to post my thoughts. Deal with it.

You know, no one forces you to comment on something. You're not required by divine edict to render an opinion on this issue every single time.

I remember the '97 season, and it was a fun ride. And I still have a soft spot for Clem. What can I say.

No you actually don't get the point. Not celebrating anything. Just remembering a team that was fun to watch and made up of several of my all time favorite players. I understand in your black and white world that's "romanticizing" but who in the hell are you to tell others how they should think? Oh, that's right. Mr. Factual, moral guardian of GH ... or ... the Smartest Guy in the Room, whose chain can be pulled at will.

Think whatever you want. I'm going to point out what the facts are. You get to think whatever you want, but I don't get to do the same without being called names, right? Look throughout this thread at who's discussing the situation and who's attacking people.

You know, no one forces you to comment on something. You're not required by divine edict to render an opinion on this issue every single time.

The OP wasn't forced to start the thread either. Do I have to run something by you before I post it?

No, it's precisely correct.

Stop making it about me. It has nothing to do with me. Talk about the topic rather than pitiful attempts to ridicule someone.

I haven't had a doughnut in probably 10 years. I'm not a big sweets eater. Regardless, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I don't hate myself and I'm not on a crusade. If someone brings it up, I'm going to post my thoughts. Deal with it.

It's about you if you bring it up every time. That speaks to your mental instability and your need to post corrections endlessly. It eats at you to the core.

Also, your analogy is still wrong.

Seek help immediately.

Yeah, no it's not. Nice overstatement.

Always the fine example of a flexible, open mind. Very impressive.

It's about you if you bring it up every time. That speaks to your mental instability and your need to post corrections endlessly. It eats at you to the core.

Also, your analogy is still wrong.

Seek help immediately.

I've made my position very clear, multiple times. If a thread is started on it, I'm going to comment on it. I'm not going to stop because of your feeble made-up personal attacks. Deal with it.

Top Bottom