ESPN BPI - Ranks Gophers at #39!

37score

Reaction score
The formula for this wonderful, Jay Bilas endorsed ranking system, has never been published, nor will it be. My assumption is you somehow rank higher if you played a few games on ESPN.

Currently, they have the Gophers ranked #39.

That's four spots lower then Clemson who is ranked #35.

Purdue #12
Wisconsin #19
Michigan #24
Indiana #30
Houston #36

Other notables not close to getting a bid, but higher than us:
Texas Tech #37
Wake Forest #33

just absolutely hilarious given that we have beaten 3 out of the 4 B1G teams they have rated ahead of us, rank higher in the RPI than all of them, and have a higher SOS. I think we all know the majority of ESPN's analysis on any given subject is pretty mediocre, and their BPI ranking system is no exception.

It's not too wacked out. Kenpom has Minnesota at 30; Sagarin at 32.

Kenpom captures how you play and against who far better than anyone and with zero bias to history. The metrics make it hard because huge wins are not readily available in the Big ten. No big deal, you get the chance to play higher regarded teams in the tournament. I gave seen only a few teams in person that would be really tough, all the rest are very thin margins of difference from one another. I am confident that right now the Gophs are a top 12 type team

Kenpom captures how you play and against who far better than anyone and with zero bias to history. The metrics make it hard because huge wins are not readily available in the Big ten. No big deal, you get the chance to play higher regarded teams in the tournament. I gave seen only a few teams in person that would be really tough, all the rest are very thin margins of difference from one another. I am confident that right now the Gophs are a top 12 type team

#12 on the road wouldn't be a huge win? (from BPI) oh wait we have that. #19 on the road should also be a very very good win too if we can get it.

Anything related to Bilas is biased to start with. Getting ratings from him is like asking Bill Walton to rate the great Rock Bands! 1. Grateful Dead, 2. Fish, 3. Anyone else I can smoke weed to.

Anything related to Bilas is biased to start with. Getting ratings from him is like asking Bill Walton to rate the great Rock Bands! 1. Grateful Dead, 2. Fish, 3. Anyone else I can smoke weed to.

Bilas is a doosh canoe.

lunardi still has us on the 7 line. he must be forced to use that garbage BPI metric or something

Lunardi is pretty clearly using some computer formula, largely based off BPI. There is 0 chance if the tournament committee was seeding teams today, that Creighton (to use 1 example) would have a higher seed than MN

Top Bottom