• #5 Purdue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

overpass

Reaction score
Who is your pick to win the Big Ten Tournament? Let's be real, it's going to be Ohio State or Maryland. I just went to Top 5 because Purdue always seems to find success in the tournament and then threw in someone else in case someone has hope. :)

Wednesday - BTN
#12 Illinois vs. #13 Nebraska - 12:30
#11 Wisconsin vs. #14 Rutgers - approx. 3:00

Thursday - BTN
#8 Iowa vs. #9 Northwestern - 11:00
#5 Purdue vs. ILL/NEB winner - approx 1:30
#7 Penn State vs. #10 Minnesota - 5:30
#6 Michigan State vs. WISC/RUT winner - approx. 8:00

Friday - BTN
#1 Ohio State vs. IOWA/NW winner - 11:00
#4 Indiana vs. PUR/ILL/NEB winner - approx. 1:30
#2 Maryland vs. PSU/MINN winner - 5:30
#3 Michigan vs. MSU/WISC/RUT winner - approx 8:00

Saturday - BTN
Semifinal 1 - 3:00
Semifinal 2 - approx. 5:30

Sunday - ESPN2
Championship - 6:00

I went with the Buckeyes.

There were some crazy finishes to today's games including Tori Jankoska scoring 18 straight points in the fourth quarter and overtime. In regulation, Jankoska banked in a corner three for the tie; but Nebraska prevailed in the OT.

Michigan lost after Munger missed a wide open layup with four seconds remaining that would have given the Wolverines a two point lead. (I think she should've been called for running from the free throw line to the basket before the miss-but that's me). Michigan fouled on the rebound and Mitchell made one of two free throws. Still, the Wolverines had time to drive the length of the court before dropping the ball out of bounds. Kim Barnes-Arico protested the lack of a foul call; but the play was clean.

Illinois took the opener from Nebraska 79-70. It was a three point shootout. Wittinger (injured left hand) was unavailable. Thus, Bollant went to a five out offense hitting 14 of 32 threes. (Wittinger's replacement, Ali Andrews, was 6-10 from three). Forced into matching Illinois, Nebraska went 13 of 29 from beyond the arc. Turnovers (17 for the Huskers and 5 for Illinois) aided the Illini.

Despite a spirited effort by Rutgers in the second half (yes, "spirited" and "Rutgers" in the same sentence), the Scarlet Knights could not bounce back from a first half in which they scored a total of three field goals and 13 points. 13. Wisconsin advances.

Not the B1G tourney; but of some local interest. In the SEC tourney, former Purdue head coach Kristy Curry's Alabama squad defeated former Purdue all-american Stephanie White's Vanderbilt club 77-57. Rebekah Dahlman played 4 minutes for the Commodores with 2 fouls and a turnover. I have no idea what happened to her playing time or play this season. She's rarely mentioned on the telecasts I've seen.

Iggy, I'll admit that I'm a bit baffled by Dahlman's lack of success at Vandy. When she was in high school, I thought she was a "must get" for the Gophers. Admittedly , not as much of a "must get" as Wagner, but a talented player nonethelsss. I wonder what happened to her. Burned out? I know she lost most of one year to an injury but I'm surprised at the overall lack of production.

And speaking of another "must get" for the Gophers, Nia Coffey with a monster game to lead Northwester over Iowa in the BIG tourney.

Nia Coffey scored 34 points as the Wildcats held on to defeat Iowa 78-73 win. Gustafson led the Hawkeyes with 27.

Purdue struggled to put away the Illini; but turned a 58-53 lead with four minutes remaining into a 72-58 win. Illinois was only 7-25 from three today.

In the SEC tourney, Kristy Curry's Alabama (5-11) defeated Tennessee (10-6), 72-64)

Tennessee could easily be gone in the first round of the tournament or make the Final Four. One of the most play to the level of your competition teams ever.

Okay I didn't lie about Purdue having success here! Took down #1 in the semifinals 71-60.

Nobody has figured out to go to a box and one and put your best defensive player on Kimbrough. Put a body on her and make her put the ball on the floor, because she will turn it over. You can't let her sit back there and shoot uncontested three's.

I like the concept of the "box and one" defense as much as anyone, but if it worked teams would be running it everywhere.

I am not expert on why the box and does not work as many of expect that it should. I it might have something to do with the offense having a real good perimeter shooter than can exploit the 4 man zone, who is close to as talented as his teammate being guarded by the "1" defender.

Stopping SKW is one thing. Stopping Jones and Slocum is another. Purdue did a decent defensive job; but a couple of Boiler scoring droughts ended the suspense.

Top Bottom