Big Ten tiebreakers

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Ooo, I was wrong in another thread but thought I'd start a new one focused on this topic.

Ick. This is possible:

- We finish in a two-way tie with Maryland and win the tiebreaker against them due to our records against Purdue

but this is also possible:

- MSU ends up in a three way tie and we finish BELOW Maryland due to our two losses against MSU, and miss out on the double-bye!!!

Arg

Ugh. Any scenario that involves us in a tie that also involves MSU in that tie means we end up on the bottom of that heap...

We can get the number one seed in the Big Ten tournament two ways:
- we finish in a tie with Purdue for first, or
- we finish in a three-way tie for first with Purdue and Wisconsin

Either Maryland or MSU being in that group hurts us because it improves Purdue's head to head record.

Assuming we beat Nebraska and Maryland and Michigan State win their next game.. if we beat Wisconsin we want Maryland to beat Michigan State.. if we lose to Wisconsin we want Maryland to lose to Michigan State either Situation we get the double bye for the first one we would get 3rd seed and the 2nd one we get 4th seed.. or better depending how Purdue and Wisconsin finish

Assuming we beat Nebraska and Maryland and Michigan State win their next game.. if we beat Wisconsin we want Maryland to beat Michigan State.. if we lose to Wisconsin we want Maryland to lose to Michigan State either Situation we get the double bye for the first one we would get 3rd seed and the 2nd one we get 4th seed.. or better depending how Purdue and Wisconsin finish

My head hurts....

Two possible scenarios to get the double bye

1. Beat Nebraska and Wisconsin, obviously.

2. If the Gophers can only manage one more win - MSU beats both Illinois and Maryland on the road. That way we avoid the three way tiebreaker situation, and we hold the head to head tiebreaker with Maryland (assuming Maryland beats Rutgers on the road). At this point, I don't care if it's the 2nd, 3rd or 4th seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is that one website called for the big ten where you can pick who wins the remaining regular season games and the standings change accordingly

Scenarios based on if we win out
----if michigan st wins out---3 seed
--- wisconsin beats iowa and and mayrland wins out with purdue not losing both---3 seed
--- if wisconsin beats iowa, purdue loses out and mayland wins out----2 seed
--if wisconsin loses to iowa and maryland beats msu----2 seed
-- wisconsin loses to iowa and michigan st loses to illinois - 2 seed
--If wisconsin loses to iowa, purdue loses out and msu loses a game-- 1 seed
--if purdue wins one and maryland and michigan st each lose one---2 seed

I got good news for everyone trying to figure this out...in 7 days it will be decided and we will all know. I am fine waiting it out....

--- wisconsin beats iowa and and mayrland wins out with purdue not losing both---3 seed

if we win out and end up tied with Wiscy and MSU - 4 seed

Bottom line is winning out guarantees at least a 4 seed.

This is going to be a fun week

I think having a double bye in any 14 team tourney is ridiculous. I do not want the gophers to finish in the top 4 at all. A double bye in a real event? The big ten having a double bye in their official tourney is the worst thing in all sports. The faster people stop talking about it the better. Go wildcats!!! You can have it.

I think having a double bye in any 14 team tourney is ridiculous. I do not want the gophers to finish in the top 4 at all. A double bye in a real event? The big ten having a double bye in their official tourney is the worst thing in all sports. The faster people stop talking about it the better. Go wildcats!!! You can have it.

M

I got good news for everyone trying to figure this out...in 7 days it will be decided and we will all know. I am fine waiting it out....

Yeah....too many variables at this point. Once we get to the final weekend of the regular season it tends to be quite a bit clearer but right now there is such a jumble of teams in the same area trying to make heads or tails of it is pretty pointless.

Win out and things will take care of themselves. Getting the double bye would be great but most importantly we are out of the bottom 4 mix.

You call it pointless. I call it fun.

I choose fun and enjoy having a reason to care about the outcome of other B10 games this week,

You call it pointless. I call it fun.

I choose fun and enjoy having a reason to care about the outcome of other B10 games this week,

To each their own, some people enjoy running all the scenarios and looking at all the different options. For my part I fall in the group that prefers to wait until things are a bit more defined before getting too caught up watching scoreboards to make determinations on what impact the other game will have on the Gophers BTT seed. Nothing wrong with either camp.

In order for us to finish 1st, I don't think Wisconsin has to lose to Iowa. Even without that if we win our last 2, Purdue loses their last 2, and MSU loses once, then we would win a 3-way tiebreaker with Wisconsin and Purdue (us 2-1, Pur 1-1, Wis 1-2)

In order for us to finish 1st, I don't think Wisconsin has to lose to Iowa. Even without that if we win our last 2, Purdue loses their last 2, and MSU loses once, then we would win a 3-way tiebreaker with Wisconsin and Purdue (us 2-1, Pur 1-1, Wis 1-2)

If Wisconsin beats Iowa, we can still get the 1 seed but it depends on 1) Minnesota winning out, 2) Purdue losing out, and 3) MSU losing to Illinois and beating Maryland. If MSU beats Illinois but loses to Maryland, there's a four-way tie at the top and we get the 2 seed. If MSU loses out, same thing. If MSU wins out, we get the 3 seed.

3-way tie for 1st with Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota: We get 1st seed

4-way tie for 1st with Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland and Minnesota: We get 2nd seed (Purdue gets 1st)

4-way tie for 1st with Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Minnesota: We get 3rd seed (Purdue 1st, Michigan State 2nd)

Top Bottom