Norwood Teague- his legacy will be with us for generations

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
Norwood was by all accounts a womanizer, poor administrator, heavy drinker and certainly bad for Pubic relations for the U of M. Also, the fact he and President Kahler are tight does not bode well for the current leader of the U. However, Let's focus on the good...

1) Under Norwood Teague's tenure, the Athletic program took a huge positive step ahead vs the Joel Maturi era. HE completed some of the political groundwork necessary that removed the incumberances that was responsible for the past 50 years of abjucnt failure. He was able to create a focus on major sports that actually pay the bills. His vision was that successful football, basketball, and hockey teams are a requirement to fund an athletic department. The admin is on campus to promote those money making sports and legitimately support the teams and coaches enabling success. The U was welcomed to the 22nd Century and some of the old attitudes that perpetuated mediocrity were beginning to be challenged and a losing culture was beginning to change.

2) The football team laid a positive foundation and some nice bowl invitations that ultimately brought PJ Fleck to Minnesota. It is doubtful PJ would have come to the U without the success during the kill/NOrwood era. Yes, kill was hired by Maturi, and the program achieved moderate success during Norwoods tenure including the citrus bowl in 2015.

3) Tubby Smith was Fired for just cause ( lazy,mediocre, tired) and the risk was taken to bring in Richard Pitino. Richard was a stellar basketball coach with a tremendous pedigree, young, fresh, intense, albeit inexperienced. The risk was taken and we are seeing the results now. MOst objective readers can see a competitive and winning future with Richard leading the program. Anyone calling for his head this year? Or next?

4) The Athletic Palace was designed and the political groundwork was laid that will bring this Athletic village to reality in 2018. The fund raising was about 70 percent completed when he resigned. NOrwoods team designed the village and sold the vision to many donars and alumni.

I want to set a fair and balanced record on Norwood Teague' s tenure. YEs, he left in personal disgrace and his legacy will be with the U for generations. Mark Coyle inherited a pretty good situation with a program on the upswing.

Yep. Turns out you can be good at your job and be an asshole at the same time.

Norwood was by all accounts a womanizer, poor administrator, heavy drinker and certainly bad for Pubic relations for the U of M. Also, the fact he and President Kahler are tight does not bode well for the current leader of the U. However, Let's focus on the good...

1) Under Norwood Teague's tenure, the Athletic program took a huge positive step ahead vs the Joel Maturi era. HE completed some of the political groundwork necessary that removed the incumberances that was responsible for the past 50 years of abjucnt failure. He was able to create a focus on major sports that actually pay the bills. His vision was that successful football, basketball, and hockey teams are a requirement to fund an athletic department. The admin is on campus to promote those money making sports and legitimately support the teams and coaches enabling success. The U was welcomed to the 22nd Century and some of the old attitudes that perpetuated mediocrity were beginning to be challenged and a losing culture was beginning to change.

2) The football team laid a positive foundation and some nice bowl invitations that ultimately brought PJ Fleck to Minnesota. It is doubtful PJ would have come to the U without the success during the kill/NOrwood era. Yes, kill was hired by Maturi, and the program achieved moderate success during Norwoods tenure including the citrus bowl in 2015.

3) Tubby Smith was Fired for just cause ( lazy,mediocre, tired) and the risk was taken to bring in Richard Pitino. Richard was a stellar basketball coach with a tremendous pedigree, young, fresh, intense, albeit inexperienced. The risk was taken and we are seeing the results now. MOst objective readers can see a competitive and winning future with Richard leading the program. Anyone calling for his head this year? Or next?

4) The Athletic Palace was designed and the political groundwork was laid that will bring this Athletic village to reality in 2018. The fund raising was about 70 percent completed when he resigned. NOrwoods team designed the village and sold the vision to many donars and alumni.

I want to set a fair and balanced record on Norwood Teague' s tenure. YEs, he left in personal disgrace and his legacy will be with the U for generations. Mark Coyle inherited a pretty good situation with a program on the upswing.

Ever watch the movie "Charlie Wilson's War"??

Womanizing heavy drinkers are sometimes the best people for certain jobs. Probably not the job of AD at a public University, but you get my point.

One more point, wasn't it Teague that brought in our Kick Arse Softball coach? And who hired our present VB coach?

We had to get rid of Teague because people like that eventually self-destruct, but he mostly did some very good things while AD here (on a pure sports related spectrum - I won't delve into the sh!tty things he may have done to women while here). Thank god for functional alcoholics!

Womanizing heavy drinkers are sometimes the best people for certain jobs. Probably not the job of AD at a public University, but you get my point.

One more point, wasn't it Teague that brought in our Kick Arse Softball coach? And who hired our present VB coach?
Pretty sure the womanizer/alcoholic isn't the subset to choose. Let's just say people who are able to throw everything into their job generally throw everything into other things they do as well.

Ya, I know you're focusing on the good but trying a little too hard. Pretty good case to be made that Jerry Kill should get the major credit for the Athlete Village project. It was because of Kill that the first major donations came in, not Norwood. When the money stopped coming in, you might start to give Norwood credit for that since several stories speculated that the big money people were turned off by him.

Norwood did come up with the genius licensing idea that resulted in a drop in football attendance despite a good season. Coyle is trying to get those fans back and hopefully PJ succeeds, but it's Rewriting History 101 to in any way give him credit for whatever success PJ might have.

With his mega-tongue actions he totally embarrassed the U. We've gone through the relatively minor turmoil in the wrestling program and the major mess in the football program because he got his ass fired and there was no permanent AD in place. Spinning anything connected with the football fiasco as a success is ignoring the fact that again the U was in the national headlines for all the wrong reasons.

He does credit for Pitino. Believe he lucked into that after others turned him down. Not on the same level as the men's hire, but let's not overlook the fact that his first choice for a women's coach is looking to be a disaster.

So pardon me if I don't see much good in anything Norwood did. We seem to be on the uptick but no thanks to him.

Teague is the Jan Gangelhoff of AD's. Kaler should be fired. [emoji41]

Ya, I know you're focusing on the good but trying a little too hard. Pretty good case to be made that Jerry Kill should get the major credit for the Athlete Village project. It was because of Kill that the first major donations came in, not Norwood. When the money stopped coming in, you might start to give Norwood credit for that since several stories speculated that the big money people were turned off by him.

Norwood did come up with the genius licensing idea that resulted in a drop in football attendance despite a good season. Coyle is trying to get those fans back and hopefully PJ succeeds, but it's Rewriting History 101 to in any way give him credit for whatever success PJ might have.

With his mega-tongue actions he totally embarrassed the U. We've gone through the relatively minor turmoil in the wrestling program and the major mess in the football program because he got his ass fired and there was no permanent AD in place. Spinning anything connected with the football fiasco as a success is ignoring the fact that again the U was in the national headlines for all the wrong reasons.

He does credit for Pitino. Believe he lucked into that after others turned him down. Not on the same level as the men's hire, but let's not overlook the fact that his first choice for a women's coach is looking to be a disaster.

So pardon me if I don't see much good in anything Norwood did. We seem to be on the uptick but no thanks to him.
Results speak...Its hard to argue with this assessment! Should we bring back Norwood? Hang his jersey from the rafters?

No one cares about softball, rowing, VB, etc as far as revenue generators go. Irrelevant to the University athletics or recruiting for the sports that matter financially. Under the Teague regime- we strove to new heights in Football and Basketball. Hockey was stagnant but still at top 15 program. Bring back Norwood! Would the Admin allow someone to hold up a big Norwood head at the basketball games?

Maturi was the greatest non revenue Sports AD of all time. Though he did hire Jerry Kill, I would argue Tubby Smith hired himself. Teague's biggest issue, other than the obvious was he went to faar with the revenue sports, can't alienate the other teams, especially in this state and especially when you're trying to get 190 million dollars in donations for new facilities. I would say Teague did a good job in going with his gut on Pitino, though his Villa 7 failed him, I think it was Billy Donovan who refered young Richard at the time. Marlene Strollings is coaching herself out of the job with her team's matador defense. I would say Teague's tenure wasn't horrible, but it was incredibly mediocre at best.

Top Bottom