Q&A: Nathan Bursch on Excitement for Playing for U: "It will mean a lot."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Nathan Bursch on Excitement for Playing for U: "It will mean a lot."

Q&A: Nathan Bursch on Excitement for Playing for U: "It will mean a lot. It will be exciting."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/762391?referrer_id=

Nathan Bursch, a 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end/tight end from Woodbury (MM) High, signed with Minnesota earlier this month.

Bursch helped lead the Royals to a 4-5 record, losing to Prior Lake 19-12 in the first round of the Class 6A playoffs.

They finished 6-3 in his junior season.

Bursch also plays basketball and has helped lead the Royals to a 17-6 mark. He is averaging 4.6 points per game

Bursch also throws the shot put and discus. He had a season-best 55-8 1.2 in the shot, winning the Section 4AA title and finished eleventh in the state with a tos to 52-11 and 122-1 feet in the discus.

Gopher Hole caught up with Bursch to learn the latest on his college choice and current basketball season.

Gopher Hole: You signed with Minnesota earlier this month. What was the feeling when you finally got that done?

Nathan Bursch: It was a really good feeling just to finally be a part fully of the team and start the process of just coming in the summer and starting to get after it.

Gopher Hole: How tough was it dealing with the uncertainty of Coach Claeys leaving and Coach Fleck being hired? You had planned on going to Minnesota for a long time, but then you had to wonder what was going to happen with you?

Nathan Bursch: It was a little bit rough, but we talked about it as a family. We were patient. I wanted to be a Gopher all along, so I sat and waited. At the beginning, I wanted Cleays, but we had actually talked about P.J. Fleck as a basketball team and his mottos, so it was kind of crazy that all of sudden he becomes my head coach here. When I finally got to meet him and have all the uncertainties taken care of, I was set and ready to sign.

Gopher Hole: What was he like as a person?

Nathan Bursch: Very exciting. Very direct. Right to the point and he is honest with you and that was a big key factor.

Gopher Hole: Had you been in contact with some of the other local Minnesota commits?

Nathan Bursch: The whole time I had been talking to Dominick London and Grant (Ryerse). We were just helping each other through it, because we were feeling all the same things and decided to stick to it. Everything turned out great.

Gopher Hole: Did that make it easier because you are all in the same area, too?

Nathan Bursch: It worked. We still only just talked over the phone, but Blaise (Andries) was talking with us, too. We had a chat. We were talking to Big E (Eric Abojei). We all still wanted to be Gophers.

Gopher Hole: You played tight end and defensive end in high school. Where are they are looking at you plying at Minnesota?

Nathan Bursch: Probably tight end or D end. I am willing to play whatever just to get on the field and help the Gophers win.

Gopher Hole: To be honest, the Gophers were a very young team this season and didn't lose a lot of seniors. Have they talked to you much about what the expectations might be as a freshman?

Nathan Bursch: I got a work book just a little bit ago and they are expecting me to be lifting all week even with basketball. I have been getting after it and lifting every morning, too and choking down food and just trying to get as big as I can.

Gopher Hole: What will it mean to put on the Gopher uniform this fall?

Nathan Bursch: It will mean a lot. It will be exciting. Finally get to hit someone, too. This basketball thing is getting a little boring, not being able to hit people.

Gopher Hole: How about the basketball? Obviously, you lost to one of the best teams in the state today in Hopkins, but you have had a pretty good year. How pleased are you with how things have gone?

Nathan Bursch: I'm pleased. I think that you'll be seeing us at Target Center through sections. We are planning on winning our conference this week and beating Cretin and East Ridge.

Gopher Hole: Is this kind of game good for you guys to get you focused on what you might have to face in the state tournament?

Nathan Bursch: I think it also a good eye-opener that we can stick with teams, even though they are about a foot taller than us, all the way around. We just have to fight. Teams better look out for us.

Gopher Hole: How about your senior season in football? You started out a little bit slow (1-3), but were playing really well towards the end of the season. How pleased were you with your senior year?

Nathan Bursch: It was a little disappointing in the playoffs. It was just a tough break, playing Prior Lake at their place right away. I was pleased, we destroyed East Ridge (47-25) and that was one of our big things we really wanted to do because it is our town and they had it coming.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on to get ready to report to camp in June?

Nathan Bursch: Lifting. Eating a ton. Running. I am going to be doing track here. Doing some sprints and stuff to make sure that I am up to speed and that everything is muscle and no fat. I'll probably be going to state for shot again and hopefully for discus.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you had a good season last year throwing. Have you seen much improvement?

Nathan Bursch: I think last year was a tough break, because I got a little overheated and now I know what I am coming into. For shot put. I think you'll see me placing in the top three, at least.

Nice report. This guy will do well in life.

Top Bottom