Amir Coffey

hungan1

Reaction score
Has Amir Coffey relegated himself to passing instead of scoring? We don't hear much noise about him lately.

He's averaging 12/game over the past 5 and 48% from the field. I wouldn't call that a dip. That's right on his season average with a little uptick in efficiency.

Coffey is legit. Right on track for closing in on a great first season, and setting himself up as a legit NBA caliber player in due time.

Has Amir Coffey relegated himself to passing instead of scoring? We don't hear much noise about him lately.

I think he has been overplayed and might be a little fatigued, but that is just my opinion. He doesn't look as quick as he was in the non conference. That could also be because the competition is better.

I think he is in the top 10 for minutes played in the Big Ten. All the OT games probably aren't helping.

He is still producing though and we don't have any other options, so keep riding him.

I think he has been overplayed and might be a little fatigued, but that is just my opinion. He doesn't look as quick as he was in the non conference. That could also be because the competition is better.

I think he is in the top 10 for minutes played in the Big Ten. All the OT games probably aren't helping.

He is still producing though and we don't have any other options, so keep riding him.

Good point. The pundits often speak of how true freshmen are prone to "hitting the wall" of fatigue at this time of year. Since Coffey doesn't play like a true freshman, it's easy to forget that this is what he is. I appreciate his eagerness to get into the lane, take the shot if it's there or dish for an assist if it isn't. I think he came to Minnesota to win. I don't see him as a guy concerned about his scoring stats.

I said the same thing last week. I think he's 7th in the Big Ten in minutes.

He's a great team player and it seems as though he gets more aggressive in the second half and his scoring always picks up.

He's a great team player and it seems as though he gets more aggressive in the second half and his scoring always picks up.

My observation as well. Also does a great job of not forcing things and taking what's given to him.

yeah, normally kids with too many minutes fade in the second half of games. Coffey is often missing and quiet during the first half of games (halftime totals of 0-2 points a lot) and then comes out roaring in the second half. We always need it when he does it, so I'm fine with the way things are working.

why doesn't Pitino play Nate, Dupree, and Akeem together ever. when Amir needs a blow i'd rather those 3 be on the floor than Gilbert / Hurt at the 3.

Coffey may not be putting up great offensive stats every game, but what he contributes on the defensive end every game is exceptional. He is usually assigned to guard the other teams best scorer and his length, quickness and basketball IQ makes those players work extremely hard to get their points.

There's only one ball on the court & this is an unselfish team. Coffey has the skills to contribute in many ways other than just scoring. That said, Coffey had 17 second half points against Indiana recently & is still scoring well.

Also, the rest of the B1G has figured out the scouting report on him is to push him to his right, which teams are now doing and that has taken away much of his attack game. He's adjusting, slowing proving he can drive to his right, but it's not as effective & is still a process. He's a really good Freshman, but not a finished product.

The B1G knows about Amir and have game planned to keep him from going off. I'm looking forward to the 1st NCAA game when he sees a team that doesn't know how to stop him.
I love Amir's team first mentality. He's lead quietly as a freshman. I'm very impressed with Amir.

why doesn't Pitino play Nate, Dupree, and Akeem together ever. when Amir needs a blow i'd rather those 3 be on the floor than Gilbert / Hurt at the 3.

It's important to get these guys playing time. Springs cannot guard most small forwards anyway. I'd rather see Hurt in there getting minutes and experience. Pitino probably wants that as well to hopefully draw his brother to comitting. Remember Wally Ellison?

It's important to get these guys playing time. Springs cannot guard most small forwards anyway. I'd rather see Hurt in there getting minutes and experience. Pitino probably wants that as well to hopefully draw his brother to comitting. Remember Wally Ellison?

Remember Henry? Me neither.

Yes, it'd be great to get Matthew Hurt but I would be disappointed if Pitino was giving minutes to Michael to try and lure in a guy who might maybe at some point come here. For the record, I don't think he's doing that.

Remember Henry? Me neither.

Yes, it'd be great to get Matthew Hurt but I would be disappointed if Pitino was giving minutes to Michael to try and lure in a guy who might maybe at some point come here. For the record, I don't think he's doing that.

I don't either. Nice to see Michael always off the bench and cheering his teammates on. Looks like he's enjoying himself. Very different than Wally who sometimes barely got into the huddle and would seem to have a major pout going.

He doesn't always need to score for us! Just solid player all around. When he's not giving us 18 points he's giving us 7 boards and 7 assists. Helps us in every aspect of game which fits in to the selfishness off this team. Bottom line is most people don't realize how valuable this guy is. He's a stud!

I didn't think Amir looked healthy against PSU. I still think he made some very nice plays, but I do hope nothing is wrong with him...or that he can get healthy by NCAA tournament time. That said, he still found a way to be productive. I can't remember a Gopher player who was as fundamentally solid and plays as smart as Amir does. He's made a ton of big plays this season when the team has been scuffling offensively and he just gets the ball and gets a bucket in a huge spot. It wasn't a critical point against PSU, but his drive and dish for the Lynch (I think) dunk was one of the highlights of the game.

Funny how success makes people be concerned about nothing!

No matter what Coffey is doing, his play is enabling the Gophers to play closer to ideal synergy and get the team to achieve their potential. Sometimes you have to diminish part of your game for the good of the whole. I believe the Coffeys get that. Because it is better for the team to have 5-7 guys scoring in double figures than 1 guy getting 25+. His dad was a great team player just like Amir. Chances are someone will have an off night and Amir will have to step up his production. I believe he will be able to.

Karl Anthony Towns averaged 10.3 points per game for his only season at Kentucky. I'm sure if they needed him to score 15-20 per game, he could have done so easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl Anthony Towns averaged 10.3 points per game for his only season at Kentucky. I'm sure if they needed him to score 15-20 per game, he could have done so easily.

I get what you're saying, but it's not exactly an analogue as Towns only played 21 mpg and Coffey has been logging heavy minutes. Moreover, they didn't need Towns to score because they had a team full of future NBA players and guys who could share the scoring burden. In an ideal world, Coffey would be scoring more consistently from game-to-game and half-to-half.

It makes me nervous he has the perfect body/playing style and nearing the talent to play the 2 at the next level.

I get what you're saying, but it's not exactly an analogue as Towns only played 21 mpg and Coffey has been logging heavy minutes. Moreover, they didn't need Towns to score because they had a team full of future NBA players and guys who could share the scoring burden. In an ideal world, Coffey would be scoring more consistently from game-to-game and half-to-half.

I agree that it's not exactly the same thing, but my point is that Coffey could start jacking shots from everywhere, and score 15-20, but they don't need him to. He's not the focal point of the offense right now, but he does a lot of things really well. I expect next year to be different after an off season of working on adding more mass and strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom