Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Coach P.J. Fleck - 2/26/17

DL65

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck’s comments and responses to topics and questions asked by Sid Hartman, Dave Mona, and Mike Max on ‘CCO’s Sports Huddle:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/762395?referrer_id=

1) Sid opened the P.J. Fleck segment by asking about a Western Michigan University offensive lineman that the Vikings are reportedly looking at in this year’s draft:

The player in question is Taylor Molten (sp?) who is 6-5 and 335 pounds. Fleck said Taylor is one of the “nastiest” players, “big bend (flexible), strong, and loves the game.” He “was not a highly recruited (two-star) player.” Fleck said it’s about developing players that could be in the NFL – he expects Taylor to be a first round pick.

2) Sid asked if Minnesota has three scholarships available for the 2017 class:

Fleck said they do; however, Fleck quickly turned his attention to the 2018 class. He said they have four commitments – “we’ve hit the ground running” - and that they hope to have a few more in the next few weeks.

3) Sid wanted to know about the recruitment of offensive linemen and defensive linemen, especially since at this time there are only 6 OL available for spring ball. There are 21 players that had surgery in the off-season:

Fleck acknowledged they have some “issues” (linemen) on both sides of the ball. He said they’ve got commitments from an offensive lineman and one defensive tackle. As a result of the shortage of linemen, they plan to sign five defensive tackles and four offensive linemen, in addition to the two recent commits.

4) Sid asked if there are freshmen that will play this year:

“They’re going to have to,” Fleck quickly responded. He didn’t indicate what specific positions will have freshmen playing. He went on to say that this year’s contingent is going to be “young,” but next year they’ll be even younger.

5) Mike Max mentioned a fund raiser – “Gutter Ball” – that Fleck attended yesterday:

Last night’s fund raiser, according to Fleck, was for parents who can be with their children when they’re hospitalized without incurring extreme financial burdens. He said that’s part of his job, being a “leader in the community.

Fleck said he makes files on people that he meets at gatherings like last night. He wants to remember the “people that can help,” which I took to mean the special projects in the community as well as his football program.

6) Dave Mona asked about 2018 recruiting and if there is an “X” date to have so many commitments. He also mentioned Eden Prairie High School being a potential pipeline to the Gophers:

Fleck said they “like to get players early . . . hopefully a few more in the next month.” He talked about continuous recruiting of players committed and getting the commitments involved in the recruiting process of other players.

Fleck spoke highly of the Eden Prairie program and that he would like to get players from the traditional high school power in Minnesota. He said he is very familiar with Mike Grant’s program; he recruited players at the school when he was at Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

7) Sid asked if linebacker Blake Cashman has a scholarship:

Fleck quickly replied, “We’re working on it . . . told him he’ll get a scholarship.” He added that they’re waiting on the NCAA to get the go ahead.

8) Sid asked about the new facilities being constructed:

Fleck said they’ve written “Row the Boat” and Ski-U-Mah on the steel beams. He then said, “Can see the progress, vision taking form . . . getting closer . . . (and he’s been told) we’re on time and on budget.”

9) In a follow up to an earlier question by Dave Mona, Sid asked about head coach Mike Grant at Eden Prairie:

Fleck answered, “He’s one of the best coaches in the country . . . (Eden Prairie) an elite team.”

10) Sid asked if there’ll be an early signing date for high school recruits:

“I think they’re going to . . . I’m in favor of an early signing date . . . wish it were earlier than December,” Fleck replied. Although nothing has been finalized about an early signing date, it appears that it’s matter of time when the change will occur.

11) Dave Mona asked about a spring game and if there are going to be open practices:

Fleck said, “I want people around . . . we’re going to have (some) open practices.”

As to the spring game, Fleck said it may be somewhat different . . . "Need to get healthy.” He, once again, mentioned being thin in the offensive line. Spring drills commence March 7th, and before spring break they’ll practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After spring break, practices will take place on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. They’ll also have one practice after the spring game.

12) Mike Max asked about returning talent and implementing a new system:

Fleck assured Mike Max that the talent can be adapted; however, he acknowledged what they know about the returning players has been gleaned from films of last year and a different system.

Spring ball will be about measuring the talent on hand and adapting it to the new system and the culture.

13) Dave Mona asked the final question, which was related to early enrollees:

The only player that Fleck mentioned was freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan from Union, Kentucky.

His last comment was “we’ll have more (early enrollees) in 2018.

Go Gophers!!

Fleck seems to be trying to dampen expectations for the next two years when he says...
He went on to say that this year’s contingent is going to be “young,” but next year they’ll be even younger.

Every time I hear "Row the Boat" I wonder if Fleck will coach the women's rowing team in the off-season. [emoji41]

I would have to agree that we may have trouble the next couple years due to the lack of linemen. That isn't his fault. I'm sure he'll do the best he can with what players he has. Kind of like how people were upset with men's basketball right away with the coaching change. Look where they are at today. More importantly thanks DL for doing this. Very much appreciated.

I'm a little confused as to what approval Cashman needs from the NCAA. the only thing I can think of is a determination of when the two year clock started. PJ, will not use one of the 3 slots being carried over to next year, so Cashman needs two years in the program, not to count towards the 25 a year signing limit.

I would have to agree that we may have trouble the next couple years due to the lack of linemen. That isn't his fault. I'm sure he'll do the best he can with what players he has. Kind of like how people were upset with men's basketball right away with the coaching change. Look where they are at today. More importantly thanks DL for doing this. Very much appreciated.

So you are comparing PJ to Pitino?

Top Bottom