Pay Pitino

I would not be shocked at all if the Gophers did go on a run. That is something loads of coaches have done in the Tourney but he is very well compensated right now. The game changes if a run results in other schools throwing huge bucks his way and it will not be Indiana ,Illinois or NCST. Will someone like Clemson or Missouri double plus what they will pay. ANY elite job opened he would not be on their list and if he were then you could not keep him anyway. Stand pat, you have all the cards. MY feeling is he will do pretty well here, said all along they would make the tourney and now they are dangerous. Think if he wins a big ten title or two with superstar records of 16-2 you can not keep him anyway but what about a consistent level of always being near the top of the conference and making occasional runs and this simply being his lifetime work ! It can not be about the money if Louisvllie calls. they will always pay more. Let this play out and see who they can beat out of conference and see if they can win at UW , a team the Gophers are better than right now.

Bulls***! Get your head out of the sand and realize MN could be a top job if someone would build it into one. We have the potential to match money if we choose. Its not like Minnesota is Dayton, Whichita State or VCU. MN is a BIG school! We can afford a bidding war if it's just a question of money.

man im so confused by all of this - tubby coaches at an aac school why did you bring him up at all dude

Are you serious? This confuses you? You are kidding me, right? You can't comprehend the consequences of firing coaches every 3 years??? Who the heckk would want to work here if they felt that they'd get fired whether they won or lost???

How hard is that to understand?

Bulls***! Get your head out of the sand and realize MN could be a top job if someone would build it into one. We have the potential to match money if we choose. Its not like Minnesota is Dayton, Whichita State or VCU. MN is a BIG school! We can afford a bidding war if it's just a question of money.

I like your thinking, but you still came up a little short. Minnesota isn't capable of being a top job IF someone builds it into one, IT ALREADY IS A TOP JOB!!!

I would not be shocked at all if the Gophers did go on a run. That is something loads of coaches have done in the Tourney but he is very well compensated right now. The game changes if a run results in other schools throwing huge bucks his way and it will not be Indiana ,Illinois or NCST. Will someone like Clemson or Missouri double plus what they will pay. ANY elite job opened he would not be on their list and if he were then you could not keep him anyway. Stand pat, you have all the cards. MY feeling is he will do pretty well here, said all along they would make the tourney and now they are dangerous. Think if he wins a big ten title or two with superstar records of 16-2 you can not keep him anyway but what about a consistent level of always being near the top of the conference and making occasional runs and this simply being his lifetime work ! It can not be about the money if Louisvllie calls. they will always pay more. Let this play out and see who they can beat out of conference and see if they can win at UW , a team the Gophers are better than right now.

Wow, you are SO clueless.

Are you serious? This confuses you? You are kidding me, right? You can't comprehend the consequences of firing coaches every 3 years??? Who the heckk would want to work here if they felt that they'd get fired whether they won or lost???

How hard is that to understand?

why are you talking about this - you are a strange individual

The best you have is to insult someone. I was in this business for over 40 years. My firm still represents two dozen Athletic directors. By what standard are you using that this is one of the top jobs ? Talk to the regents if you think he is getting a raise. Do as much research as you can. Do you know how hard it is to raise money at the U compared to other places ? Look at the budget, the track record of mediocrity. This nowhere near a top 50 historical program and now it is a top job after one top 5 conference finish this century ? Your best is to put someone down who invests very heavily in this program. When is the last time you were invited to practice or to travel with the team?

The best you have is to insult someone. I was in this business for over 40 years. My firm still represents two dozen Athletic directors. By what standard are you using that this is one of the top jobs ? Talk to the regents if you think he is getting a raise. Do as much research as you can. Do you know how hard it is to raise money at the U compared to other places ? Look at the budget, the track record of mediocrity. This nowhere near a top 50 historical program and now it is a top job after one top 5 conference finish this century ? Your best is to put someone down who invests very heavily in this program. When is the last time you were invited to practice or to travel with the team?

Get over yourself dude. talk about being arrogant.

With our new facilities and being in b1g we're top 50 job, yes there are hurdles here.

As long as mn ponies up there aren't many jobs I'd worry about losing pitino too, unless a blue blood comes calling or massive pay increase elsewhere, he'll be here

why are you talking about this - you are a strange individual

Oh wow, you talk like an 8 year old little boy who just got told that Santa isn't real. Why am I talking about this? Because it's relevant. Have you ever left the state of Minnesota? You sound like someone who has never left the farm.

And you claim that I am a strange individual? lol, where does that come from? Honestly, how do you justify making such a declarative statement??

You make all of these declarative statements as if your opinion is the end all and be all of everything, but who are you even?

Agreed. said historical. The Blue bloods are not calling. You have to really do something special to get those jobs. Look at what Sean Miller did and where and how long he did it before he got a elite job. Texas is not elite but it is a really good job and Shaka had to win for several years to get that. Bennett had to win at WSU , one of the worst jobs in any power conference , plus a NBA career, plus NCAA all time 3 point shooter, academic all american and the pomeroy player of the year. and more coach of the year awards nationally than anyone ever won in one year to turn down Indiana, LSU, Texas 2 years ago to find the right job at UVA because he wanted a top academic school in the south where he could go against the best of the best. Pitino has chance to do that here but it has to be the place he and his wife want to be more than anywhere else and then he still has to do it. I pay to see it happen but i do not act like it is easy or he has done it.

Oh wow, you talk like an 8 year old little boy who just got told that Santa isn't real. Why am I talking about this? Because it's relevant. Have you ever left the state of Minnesota? You sound like someone who has never left the farm.

And you claim that I am a strange individual? lol, where does that come from? Honestly, how do you justify making such a declarative statement??

You make all of these declarative statements as if your opinion is the end all and be all of everything, but who are you even?

your worst nightmare dude welcome to the ignore list i dont listen to crazy people

Not even Top 50, eh? LOL wow, you are clueless, aren't you? WOW

#1 - Member of the B1G, all by itself almost makes it a Top 50 job, no other aspects considered. You've heard of the BTN, right?

#2 - Only Div 1 school in the state. Name me a bigger state with only 1 Div 1 school in the state? That's right, you can't.

#2a - Do you realize how big of a media footprint Minnesota is, being the only Div 1 school in the state?

#3 - Twin Cities is a Fortune 500 magnet. there are over a Dozen Fortune 500 Headquarters located right here in the Twin Cities.

#4 - University of Minnesota is a Top 20 producer of Professional Athletes, in every Major League sport out there

#5 - University of Minnesota is one of the Top Research and Academic Universities in the nation. Come here, get a great education.

#6 - Minnesota is a true sleeping giant. Has LED THE NATION IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL ATTENDENCE!!! My guess is you didn't know that?

#7 - Minnesota LOVES its sports, but has so many options, it can't help but being picky, it likes WINNERS.

#8 - Minnesota has put LOTS of money into its sports. New Rowing Facillties, New Football Stadium, the nation's FIRST women's hockey only Arena, New Baseball Stadium, recently got a 7 figure donation for new Golf facilities, 100 million dollar Athletes Village. You have to be kidding me with your bulllsh1t assertion that UMn doesn't even rank among the Top 50 jobs because so many other universities are willing to pay so much more than Minnesota??? I challenge you to prove that. I doubt you can. I think you are full of SH!T.

#9 - Minnesota gave Kill and his assistants pretty good pay in comparison to other B1G schools. Fleck is also getting good pay.

#10 - Minnesota is a fairly decent BB recruiting hotbed especially when you consider there is no Div 1 competition in the state.

#11 - Minnesota LOVES its basketball, the first ever intercollegiate bb game was played AND WON by Minnesota.

#11a - Minnesota OWNED college bb for the first decade of its existence, & was its first dynasty, winning back2back Natl Titles in 1902 and in 1903

#12 - Minnesota was the 1st Choice and #1 destination of HOFers John Wooden and Bobby Knight, as well as HOFers John Kundla & Bill Finch.

#12a - Wooden wanted to coach Minnesota, but a snow storm prevented the call from UMn accepting him as coach from getting through to Wooden, so he took his 2nd choice, the UCLA job. Don't believe me, its right there in his autobiography. Bobby Knight also applied for a coaching job at Minnesota but UMn took someone else, and BK went to IU instead. NBA HOFers Kundla and Finch both accepted coaching positions at Minnesota.

#13 - Williams Arena, "The Barn", is a classic bb arena, at one time it was the LARGEST college BB ONLY ARENA IN THE WORLD.

#14 - Less than 30 cbb programs in the country have produced more NBA basketball players than Minnesota.

#15 - University of Minnesota has produced FOUR Naismith Hall of Famers. Not sure how many schools can claim more than that?

#16 - Minnesota is always ranked among the Top states for standard of living.

#17 - Studies show that a very high percentage of professionals that move to Minnesota solely for their job, end up remaining in Minnesota when the opportunity to leave comes around.

#18 - Minnesotans are generally nicer than people from other parts of the country

#19 - Four seasons, the weather here in Minnesota is far more of a positive aspect of living here than it is a negative, summers are sunny but not too hot, the fall here in Minnesota is gorgeous, the changing of the leaves, people go out of their way to drive around Minnesota to see the changing of the leaves. And going to football practice in August and September in Minnesota, is much more tolerable than down south. Spring time is gorgeous in Minnesota. And winter time can be fun, too. But as students in college, is it such a bad thing that warm sunny weather isn't distracting students from doing their school work???

#20 - I'm getting tired of typing. But I could seriously do this all day long. You want to continue to claim that Minnesota isn't even a Top 50 job, I could give you another 30 reasons why it is. I dare you to give me 5 reasons why its not.

your worst nightmare dude welcome to the ignore list i dont listen to crazy people

My worst nightmare? lol wow, you really put that high of value on yourself?? I haven't seen you anywhere until today. I could care less about you. WOW, the little boy who's never left the farm and still believes in Santa puts me on ignore!! I'm so heartbroken, NOT!!!

You are the most pathetic person I've ever run across at this site. WOW.
'

Just curious but why does everyone think Louisville will just automatically just throw Richard the job? Any big name will get shot and although Rick has done great job there, I'm thinking eventually they are ready to get rid of all the pitino mess. Won't ever get rid of Rick but gotta believe they are ready to get rid of the drama and headaches that come with him.

Agree with many of the comments so far ripping this guy. Historically, the biggest cuts against MN as a top coaching destination were 1) ability to recruit to, 2) facilities, and 3) compensation. Not necessarily in that order.
1) recruiting; historically the biggest challenge to this was the lack of talent developed in MN that could compete at the upper D-1 level. Go back 10 years and certainly the 1990s and before and it was exceptionally rare for MN to produce more than 1 top 200 players a year and often times there were none. Today, with the development of AAU in the state. MN frequently has 2+ players every year.
2) facilities, a guy needs to have his head in the sand to not see the changes at the UofM. In 2018, we will be competitive with nearly every other school in the country.
3) Coaches compensation. The old conservative guard is being replaced with more pragmatic people. Based on my extensive sampling of the 5 people near me, the vast majority of people under 50 are in the camp of "PAY THE COACH" if you want to win consistently.
Not to say we don't have our issues, but the big ones have diminished considerably.

Not sure if this site is worse when we are winning or when we are losing.

Not sure if this site is worse when we are winning or when we are losing.

Losing by far. At least now when people are going off the deep end, they're not bashing the players. They're just trying to win a pissing match by insulting each other and bragging about themselves.

Losing by far. At least now when people are going off the deep end, they're not bashing the players. They're just trying to win a pissing match by insulting each other and bragging about themselves.

+1. LOL, sorry about my part in it.

Not even Top 50, eh? LOL wow, you are clueless, aren't you? WOW

#1 - Member of the B1G, all by itself almost makes it a Top 50 job, no other aspects considered. You've heard of the BTN, right?

#2 - Only Div 1 school in the state. Name me a bigger state with only 1 Div 1 school in the state? That's right, you can't.

#2a - Do you realize how big of a media footprint Minnesota is, being the only Div 1 school in the state?

#3 - Twin Cities is a Fortune 500 magnet. there are over a Dozen Fortune 500 Headquarters located right here in the Twin Cities.

#4 - University of Minnesota is a Top 20 producer of Professional Athletes, in every Major League sport out there

#5 - University of Minnesota is one of the Top Research and Academic Universities in the nation. Come here, get a great education.

#6 - Minnesota is a true sleeping giant. Has LED THE NATION IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL ATTENDENCE!!! My guess is you didn't know that?

#7 - Minnesota LOVES its sports, but has so many options, it can't help but being picky, it likes WINNERS.

#8 - Minnesota has put LOTS of money into its sports. New Rowing Facillties, New Football Stadium, the nation's FIRST women's hockey only Arena, New Baseball Stadium, recently got a 7 figure donation for new Golf facilities, 100 million dollar Athletes Village. You have to be kidding me with your bulllsh1t assertion that UMn doesn't even rank among the Top 50 jobs because so many other universities are willing to pay so much more than Minnesota??? I challenge you to prove that. I doubt you can. I think you are full of SH!T.

#9 - Minnesota gave Kill and his assistants pretty good pay in comparison to other B1G schools. Fleck is also getting good pay.

#10 - Minnesota is a fairly decent BB recruiting hotbed especially when you consider there is no Div 1 competition in the state.

#11 - Minnesota LOVES its basketball, the first ever intercollegiate bb game was played AND WON by Minnesota.

#11a - Minnesota OWNED college bb for the first decade of its existence, & was its first dynasty, winning back2back Natl Titles in 1902 and in 1903

#12 - Minnesota was the 1st Choice and #1 destination of HOFers John Wooden and Bobby Knight, as well as HOFers John Kundla & Bill Finch.

#12a - Wooden wanted to coach Minnesota, but a snow storm prevented the call from UMn accepting him as coach from getting through to Wooden, so he took his 2nd choice, the UCLA job. Don't believe me, its right there in his autobiography. Bobby Knight also applied for a coaching job at Minnesota but UMn took someone else, and BK went to IU instead. NBA HOFers Kundla and Finch both accepted coaching positions at Minnesota.

#13 - Williams Arena, "The Barn", is a classic bb arena, at one time it was the LARGEST college BB ONLY ARENA IN THE WORLD.

#14 - Less than 30 cbb programs in the country have produced more NBA basketball players than Minnesota.

#15 - University of Minnesota has produced FOUR Naismith Hall of Famers. Not sure how many schools can claim more than that?

#16 - Minnesota is always ranked among the Top states for standard of living.

#17 - Studies show that a very high percentage of professionals that move to Minnesota solely for their job, end up remaining in Minnesota when the opportunity to leave comes around.

#18 - Minnesotans are generally nicer than people from other parts of the country

#19 - Four seasons, the weather here in Minnesota is far more of a positive aspect of living here than it is a negative, summers are sunny but not too hot, the fall here in Minnesota is gorgeous, the changing of the leaves, people go out of their way to drive around Minnesota to see the changing of the leaves. And going to football practice in August and September in Minnesota, is much more tolerable than down south. Spring time is gorgeous in Minnesota. And winter time can be fun, too. But as students in college, is it such a bad thing that warm sunny weather isn't distracting students from doing their school work???

#20 - I'm getting tired of typing. But I could seriously do this all day long. You want to continue to claim that Minnesota isn't even a Top 50 job, I could give you another 30 reasons why it is. I dare you to give me 5 reasons why its not.

#21 - 2nd most theaters per capita in the United States. Behind only New York. (I'm always amazed people don't realize how much culture there is in MPLS.)

There really is no reason UM can not rise to the level of MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan and OSU. Do none of you remember when Wisconsin sucked ass at everything but hockey?

#21 - 2nd most theaters per capita in the United States. Behind only New York. (I'm always amazed people don't realize how much culture there is in MPLS.)

There really is no reason UM can not rise to the level of MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan and OSU. Do none of you remember when Wisconsin sucked ass at everything but hockey?

Nice addition Otis, Thanks!!!

Would love to see more from anyone and everyone.

I got your back bro!

As a proud Minnesotan I love your list. #22. Highest placement rate of medical students into primary care residencies- Family Medicine, IM and Pediatrics. 23. Regularly leads the nation in % of people who vote. 24. Top 3 in miles of bike trails. 25. Regularly top ten in the Director cup standings.

I think one of the most important ones is the fact that the U is consistently in the top 15 for most profitable college basketball programs. And that is with a program that hasn't one more than 1 NCAA game in 20 years! The money is there. And there will be a LOT more of it if they grow to be a consistent winner.

As a proud Minnesotan I love your list. #22. Highest placement rate of medical students into primary care residencies- Family Medicine, IM and Pediatrics. 23. Regularly leads the nation in % of people who vote. 24. Top 3 in miles of bike trails. 25. Regularly top ten in the Director cup standings.

Not sure #22 is accurate nor something to brag about in the current environment! If u take away the UMD component I doubt the % into primary care is the highest in the country. And while having an ample supply of highly qualified primary care docs is extraordinarily important, the career is accompanied by the lowest remuneration of medical fields making repayment of $250k debt much more taxing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the heels of his B1G COTY award, other schools will likely come knocking. Especially if they win a couple games in the tournament. Time to lock him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay the man his money. Seriously. Lock him up

Top Bottom