Pay Pitino

Now I'm blind huh? Sorry but it's my opinion. You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think Pitino EASILY could have been fired last year, then YES, you are blind.

There wasn't a guy on last year's squad that was more than a Sophomore that was one of Pitino's guys. And Pitino's guys were dominating the stats, especially the Freshman. And with Amir Coffey and Reggie Lynch coming into the program, SOME of us weren't blind and saw that hiring Pitino was the right hire!!!

And I posted many times earlier in this season, when the hype wasn't so high, like DURING THE FIVE GAME LOSING STREAK!!!! That I felt doubt as to whether or not Pitino was a great coach or not? But I saw what he was doing with the recruiting and I expressed over and over and over again how it was worth it to be patient with him, to give him time to learn on the job. His youth and his recruiting led me to believe that things would progressively get better. I made comments as to how it would become easier and easier for him to do a good job coaching as his having better talent on the floor would make it easier for him. Great players can coach themselves. Great players can make coaches look good.

And low and behold, I, we, all of us, didn't have to be patient very long. All of a sudden the losing streak was broken. Then we got back to .500, then we started getting noticed, now we are talking about competing for the Big Ten Title.

Yeah, if you thought firing Pitino was a good move last year, YOU WERE BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think Pitino EASILY could have been fired last year, then YES, you are blind.

There wasn't a guy on last year's squad that was more than a Sophomore that was one of Pitino's guys. And Pitino's guys were dominating the stats, especially the Freshman. And with Amir Coffey and Reggie Lynch coming into the program, SOME of us weren't blind and saw that hiring Pitino was the right hire!!!

And I posted many times earlier in this season, when the hype wasn't so high, like DURING THE FIVE GAME LOSING STREAK!!!! That I felt doubt as to whether or not Pitino was a great coach or not? But I saw what he was doing with the recruiting and I expressed over and over and over again how it was worth it to be patient with him, to give him time to learn on the job. His youth and his recruiting led me to believe that things would progressively get better. I made comments as to how it would become easier and easier for him to do a good job coaching as his having better talent on the floor would make it easier for him. Great players can coach themselves. Great players can make coaches look good.

And low and behold, I, we, all of us, didn't have to be patient very long. All of a sudden the losing streak was broken. Then we got back to .500, then we started getting noticed, now we are talking about competing for the Big Ten Title.

Yeah, if you thought firing Pitino was a good move last year, YOU WERE BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Again. My opinion. You are entitled to yours. Notice I haven't name called.

Wow! Again. My opinion. You are entitled to yours. Notice I haven't name called.

If you think calling you blind is name calling, I apologize. Being blind isn't the same thing as being stupid or anything. It's just the state of not seeing something that others can or did see.

I guess I am challenging you to prove me wrong.

Didn't you see the make up of last year's team? Or did you not even pay attention since they were losing?

You had to have noticed the improvement in recruiting, right?

Look at Indiana this season. It's not hard to fall to the bottom of the B1G Conference, not when 13 of its members are all Top 100 rated teams in every metric out there.

Losing to a Top 100 team isn't even considered a bad loss by the NCAA Selection Committee.

That's because there are over 300 teams out there, and 13 of the 14 teams in the B1G are considered among the Top 25-30%.

Didn't you see how close they were to winning some of those games last year? Didn't you see how they overcame a 0-13 start to beat Maryland and then finish out 2-3???

Didn't you know that Pitino had Amir Coffey & Reggie Lynch coming into the program? And Fitz was supposed to join the team as well, along with Curry. I'm not sure when we found out that Akeem Springs was joining the team?

I just don't know how more people couldn't see all of these things going on? I saw them clear as day, but the thing is, I WAS LOOKING.

So what? You weren't looking? You weren't paying attention? Hence you were BLIND to it. Not a criminal act. But maybe something you could simply admit to and then we could move on. Those that weren't blind can forgive you. We're not mad at you, but we are VERY THANKFUL that people like you aren't the ones making the big decisions. The U needs people who are not blind, who ARE paying attention, who can see the bigger picture.

If you think calling you blind is name calling, I apologize. Being blind isn't the same thing as being stupid or anything. It's just the state of not seeing something that others can or did see.

I guess I am challenging you to prove me wrong.

Didn't you see the make up of last year's team? Or did you not even pay attention since they were losing?

You had to have noticed the improvement in recruiting, right?

Look at Indiana this season. It's not hard to fall to the bottom of the B1G Conference, not when 13 of its members are all Top 100 rated teams in every metric out there.

Losing to a Top 100 team isn't even considered a bad loss by the NCAA Selection Committee.

That's because there are over 300 teams out there, and 13 of the 14 teams in the B1G are considered among the Top 25-30%.

Didn't you see how close they were to winning some of those games last year? Didn't you see how they overcame a 0-13 start to beat Maryland and then finish out 2-3???

Didn't you know that Pitino had Amir Coffey & Reggie Lynch coming into the program? And Fitz was supposed to join the team as well, along with Curry. I'm not sure when we found out that Akeem Springs was joining the team?

I just don't know how more people couldn't see all of these things going on? I saw them clear as day, but the thing is, I WAS LOOKING.

So what? You weren't looking? You weren't paying attention? Hence you were BLIND to it. Not a criminal act. But maybe something you could simply admit to and then we could move on. Those that weren't blind can forgive you. We're not mad at you, but we are VERY THANKFUL that people like you aren't the ones making the big decisions. The U needs people who are not blind, who ARE paying attention, who can see the bigger picture.

I watched all season long. Just didn't see what you saw. Doesn't make me right or you wrong or vice versa. It's in the eye of the beholder.

I do love the direction, but let it carry out. Mostly, it has not been only so-so until the past two months. He has already had a big extension through '21. He's due for over 100k of bonuses and is due 450k if he simply stays for 2 yrs. He's at around $2M a year. If he proves it again and shows some commitment to staying and developing the program, he will make Buku for a long time. He could be the guy here!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think his base salary is 1.6 mil- which I believe is lower half of the B10. As for length of contract you want to make sure you have 4-5 years remaining on the contract so other schools can't negatively recruit against you.

You can't argue with these delusional clowns, Ranger. Pitino WOULD have been fires last year if it wasn't for MegaTongue adding the absurd contract buyout. They had the worst season in the history of the program. Most here are lying if they were absolutely convinced Richard was the right guy prior to the last 7 games.

It does look like they have some nice pieces in place going forward and I've changed my opinion based on this years results; but to suggest we need to see some more success before we throw a bunch of new money at him is a rational thought.

I watched all season long. Just didn't see what you saw. Doesn't make me right or you wrong or vice versa. It's in the eye of the beholder.

I share your opinion. I watch, I see, have for 50 years. I like the progress. I think a 4 yr deal is plenty enough commitment. I'm sick of the buyouts. Does that matter to anyone? He is the highest paid employee in the State. Cripes sake.

You can't argue with these delusional clowns, Ranger. Pitino WOULD have been fires last year if it wasn't for MegaTongue adding the absurd contract buyout. They had the worst season in the history of the program. Most here are lying if they were absolutely convinced Richard was the right guy prior to the last 7 games.

It does look like they have some nice pieces in place going forward and I've changed my opinion based on this years results; but to suggest we need to see some more success before we throw a bunch of new money at him is a rational thought.

Thanks Les. I've been called stupid, delusional and blind. I have not referred to anyone in that fashion. They are entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine. They lost 18 of their last 20 including 14 straight. They had nine losses by double figures. I knew they were getting some name recruits but until they actually play, you never know. This is how I based my view. As I said, doesn't make me right or wrong. Just my view.

I share your opinion. I watch, I see, have for 50 years. I like the progress. I think a 4 yr deal is plenty enough commitment. I'm sick of the buyouts. Does that matter to anyone? He is the highest paid employee in the State. Cripes sake.

Gotcha!

Delusional clown, eh? And I'm also a liar, too? LMMFGDAO @ that. I have been very public and vocal in my support of Pitino throughout last season and the entirety of this season.

That would be PJ if looking at entire contract

Delusional clown, eh? And I'm also a liar, too? LMMFGDAO @ that. I have been very public and vocal in my support of Pitino throughout last season and the entirety of this season.

Turns out your not much for reading comprehension as well. I said "Most here are lying..." so if you're not one of those then I'm happy for you.
Delusional clown currently stands, tho.

The market we compete in for coaches isn't the state. It's BIG college basketball. He is performing above average in the market and his compensation is below average.

I believe if the U demonstrates trust in him by paying him now we could have 10-15 years of huge success and a shot at the Final Four.

It's worth it to me, and a positive economic investment for the U in a PROFIT GENERATING SPORT.

I could see the tea leaves last year before the sex tape, the team consistently improved and he has built on it.

WAKE UP GOPHER FANS.

That would be PJ if looking at entire contract

As he should. He has accomplished much more for the U than any one else in memory! Do not know why he isn't also coach of the Women's Rowing Team. Custom fit for the job!

Give him Fleck like money. Double his salary. The Barn will be sold out next year.

Turns out your not much for reading comprehension as well. I said "Most here are lying..." so if you're not one of those then I'm happy for you.
Delusional clown currently stands, tho.

Oh, my reading comprehension is just fine. Didn't you notice the ? the "and I'm also a liar, too?" Maybe you are the one with a reading comprehension problem? I was asking you a question, trying to clarify if I was one of the ones you were calling a liar or not.

As for being a delusional clown? Can you defend that with any kind of evidence or facts?

How am I delusional?

I saw the potential, I saw the improvement in his recruiting classes, maybe in his skills at recruiting. I saw PROGRESS as the year progressed, something I never saw in any other BB coach that I can remember, outside of maybe Haskins? I was pretty young back when Dutcher was coaching, so I didn't look for such things back then and didn't pay as much attention during Haskins time here as I have since the whole scandal came out.

That is one of the things I do well, I SEE things, things no one else does. I see things in politics, in sports, in the entertainment industry, within religions, in people. And the biggest problem I have is the vast majority of people out there in the world don't see things, they are blind either because they are lazy or too busy and occupied with other things, or because they are in denial or are brainwashed and/or just don't want to see things. Seeing things usually make people uncomfortable, they prefer to be clueless and for life to be simple and they want to enjoy life and its why some people won't watch the news, because most of the news is depressing sh1t. When it comes to sports and seeing potential, seeing things is a very good thing.

Now you can either have fun with this post, take it in a humorous direction which I may laugh with you about, or you can continue to try to put me down and belittle me in some way because I am calling it like I see it.

Those who didn't see the potential, were BLIND or not looking. Neither are desirable qualities for decision makers, thankfully you in here that I'm calling blind, are nobodies as far as I know. Same as me as far as you know.

Kill - I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. I watched last season, and I did not see progress. I saw a team - admittedly a team lacking talent - that kept making the same mistakes, and having the same issues on offense and defense.

Talent will fluctuate - but regardless of talent, anyone can work hard and anyone can play smart. I watched the Gophers last year, and I saw a team that just didn't seem to play smart.
Some of that is on the players, but some of it has to fall on the coaching staff.

Now - I will be the first to admit that this year's team is playing very well, and Pitino deserve a lot of credit for that.

But I am willing to bet there are more than a few people who did not anticipate or expect this year's team to have this much success. Quite a few of them were posting on this board at the start of the season. That does not mean we're blind, or know nothing about basketball. It just means we have a different point of view.

Kill - I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. I watched last season, and I did not see progress. I saw a team - admittedly a team lacking talent - that kept making the same mistakes, and having the same issues on offense and defense.

Talent will fluctuate - but regardless of talent, anyone can work hard and anyone can play smart. I watched the Gophers last year, and I saw a team that just didn't seem to play smart.
Some of that is on the players, but some of it has to fall on the coaching staff.

Now - I will be the first to admit that this year's team is playing very well, and Pitino deserve a lot of credit for that.

But I am willing to bet there are more than a few people who did not anticipate or expect this year's team to have this much success. Quite a few of them were posting on this board at the start of the season. That does not mean we're blind, or know nothing about basketball. It just means we have a different point of view.

Boy S.O.N., I totally disagree. That team was really improving last year until the scandal. Without going back over the issues, there were certain players that simply either lacked the athleticism or the ability to do some of the things needed at this level. We have different players and things have gotten better. Beyond the added personnel, McBrayer has gotten better, Mason has, Murphy after a period of funk is better. With those three and the additions coming in, there was a lot of evidence that this would be a much better team. I think what I said at the beginning of the year was that it would depend on whether they could win close games. They have started to learn to do that.

Maybe the word "progress" is more fitting to this season, than to last season. But they did start out 0-13 last season and finish 2-3. How is that not progress? It's not like we simply found the worst 2 teams on the schedule during the last 5 game stretch. Maryland was up near the top.

One of our departing players SAW progress, or maybe the better word to use, which is far more accurate in describing what I and others SAW, and you and others apparently DID NOT SEE, was potential. You watched a bunch of Sophomores that were members of Pitino's first and worst recruiting class, combined with freshmen who were apart of Pitino's first real class that he had time to think about and work on, struggle and make mistakes and yet they still DOMINATED the stats. We were very thin on upperclassmen, hence a lack of time to ease into things, and possibly a lack of enough leadership. And was Pitino still young and inexperienced? Sure, of course he was still young and inexperienced, and he STILL IS YOUNG and pretty inexperienced. He's not the greatest coach in the Conference, much less the country. But I said it all year this year, his improving recruiting classes are going to make it easier and easier every season for him to learn and grow as a coach and to be made to look good by his players. Now he'll have the Athlete's Village to help him improve on his recruiting as well. It's amazing he's done what he's done with so little to work with so far.

But while you saw a team struggle to win games, and while you saw youngsters with very little in the way of senior leadership to help them, struggle with mistakes, I saw POTENTIAL. I saw games where they came close to winning. I saw opponent after opponent, every one being a Top 100 rated team in the country, come along and the youngsters had no chance to take a breath or to play an easy opponent.

While you saw a team that struggled much like past teams in recent Gopher history, I SAW and remembered the 1987 and 1988 Gophers, who won ONLY TWO and ONLY FOUR games in their first 2 seasons. I saw the POTENTIAL in that team, and in 89 and then in 90, that potential was realized. I saw similar POTENTIAL in Pitino's recruits. The difference in my opinion, and why Pitino's team has only needed 1 season to make the jump from bottom of the conference, to NCAA quality team instead of 2, like Haskins first squad needed, were the additions of Springs & Lynch, who combined with the likes of Mason in giving the team what they didn't have last year, upperclassmen leadership, with one more aspect as well, that being the B1G Conference being weaker at the top than back in 1988 & 89.

So this year, the potential of last years players combined with the potential of the additions of the team, helped the team start out very good, but there was still progress needed to be made, after struggling for a few games there, we saw the PROGRESS from the beginning of the season to now, and hence the winning streak.

Well, whatever. It's simple, we have a case of GLASS HALF EMPTY GUYS, all of you ripping on me for calling you all blind, who didn't look for potential, who saw the glass half full, who never are hopeful, just skeptical. Where were you born, in Missouri? The show me state? Gotta show you the Trophies and titles before you will jump on the bandwagon???

You are the guys always talking about how you wished you had bought Google stock when you had the chance, or who wished you had bought Microsoft stock or Apple stock, when you had the chance.
But instead, you waited, had to see that they were successful first. You are the kind of guys who buy in and might make money, but never the really big money that people who buy in before everyone knows about them, make.

That's ok I guess. The world needs balance I suppose. We can't all be Glass half full types now can we be? If EVERYONE could SEE potential like some people can, then college sports would be boring and far too predictable. Some people having vision and some not having it, makes the world more interesting.

He has done a wonderful job this year but there is zero chance they give him Fleck like money. Dealing with contract negotiations is my business and he does not have the leverage for that or the support of the regents. Much more has to be accomplished and the stains of off court history has to be more than one year. The irrational king like status bestowed on him for the body of work is exceeded only by the fools who wanted him fired. It is supply and demand and not a single school has ever considered paying him 3 plus million. ADD incentives for conference titles, elite 8's and final 4's. The U HAS EVERY OUNCE of leverage and a very serious budget issue on the AD side. Coyle knows exactly what he has to play with. Go to a president function and you can have these conversations. They were foolish with Teague and the purse and that is not going to happen again. Football was the best bet, basketball pay is more than fair for now.

He has done a wonderful job this year but there is zero chance they give him Fleck like money. Dealing with contract negotiations is my business and he does not have the leverage for that or the support of the regents. Much more has to be accomplished and the stains of off court history has to be more than one year. The irrational king like status bestowed on him for the body of work is exceeded only by the fools who wanted him fired. It is supply and demand and not a single school has ever considered paying him 3 plus million. ADD incentives for conference titles, elite 8's and final 4's. The U HAS EVERY OUNCE of leverage and a very serious budget issue on the AD side. Coyle knows exactly what he has to play with. Go to a president function and you can have these conversations. They were foolish with Teague and the purse and that is not going to happen again. Football was the best bet, basketball pay is more than fair for now.

I respect what you just posted and RIGHT NOW, it sounds very reasonable. Can I ask a question? What about after/IF Richard takes the team to a B1G Conf Tourney Title? And/or what about after/IF Richard takes the team to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 or if the planets all align perfectly, a Final Four?

Some points:

-Pitino absolutely would've been fired if not for the massive buyout - Teague gets credit for the foresight to drop that in the extension.

-Stop talking about Pitino like he's 'the guy', this program's problem is the fixation on the perceived need of a Coach K/Boeheim/Izzo like lifer to lead the program for decades. While that would be great, the paranoia factor stemming from this desire is unhealthy for the fanbase.

-The program is as healthy as it has been in 30+ years (barring a massive scandal that has yet to emerge with the current group). The new facilities are long overdue, and will help us stay competitive now and into the future.

If we take care of what we as fans can control (showing up at the Barn, supporting the team/AD) all the ingredients are here for a truly elite program. This doesn't mean its going to *necessarily* be Pitino's dream job, but if we keep doing the right things, it will be someones. If Pitino were to leave tomorrow (he won't) we are already in a hugely more advantageous position to land a better coach than we were when he was hired, and that is progress. With all that said, I expect Pitino to get paid this offseason and probably next as well considering the run these boys will be capable of in 17-18.

So lean back and enjoy the ride gentlemen, this is the kind of program success fans dream of.

:cool02:

(Oh and can we start the capital campaign to renovate Williams Arena already?)

I said last year he should get one more season but wouldn't have been too mad if he was.

I think the coaches knew last season was going to be bad. Maybe not that bad, but still pretty rough. They brought in two transfers that had to sit out the year. That immediately hurt the depth. I'm sure they could have instead found a juco or grad transfer that may have given them a few more wins.

I give them credit for doing what was best for the program long term instead of just trying to do what may help them save their jobs.

Some points:

-Pitino absolutely would've been fired if not for the massive buyout - Teague gets credit for the foresight to drop that in the extension.

-Stop talking about Pitino like he's 'the guy', this program's problem is the fixation on the perceived need of a Coach K/Boeheim/Izzo like lifer to lead the program for decades. While that would be great, the paranoia factor stemming from this desire is unhealthy for the fanbase.

-The program is as healthy as it has been in 30+ years (barring a massive scandal that has yet to emerge with the current group). The new facilities are long overdue, and will help us stay competitive now and into the future.

If we take care of what we as fans can control (showing up at the Barn, supporting the team/AD) all the ingredients are here for a truly elite program. This doesn't mean its going to *necessarily* be Pitino's dream job, but if we keep doing the right things, it will be someones. If Pitino were to leave tomorrow (he won't) we are already in a hugely more advantageous position to land a better coach than we were when he was hired, and that is progress. With all that said, I expect Pitino to get paid this offseason and probably next as well considering the run these boys will be capable of in 17-18.

So lean back and enjoy the ride gentlemen, this is the kind of program success fans dream of.

:cool02:

(Oh and can we start the capital campaign to renovate Williams Arena already?)

Just 3 years after a very controversial firing of what SOME thought to be a successful coach, and a very likable coach, who by all accounts was running a clean program, including TONS of negative vibes from the press and rest of the cbb fans of the nation(with the exception of Kentucky fans) because we so unfairly fired him???

Really?

THANK GOODNESS for Teague and that huge buyout then, for preventing one of the WORST FIRINGS EVER!!! At one of the worst times to fire someone, EVER.

I said last year he should get one more season but wouldn't have been too mad if he was.

I think the coaches knew last season was going to be bad. Maybe not that bad, but still pretty rough. They brought in two transfers that had to sit out the year. That immediately hurt the depth. I'm sure they could have instead found a juco or grad transfer that may have given them a few more wins.

I give them credit for doing what was best for the program long term instead of just trying to do what may help them save their jobs.

Ditto, and amen GophersInIowa!!!

Teague may have been a letch and totally deserved to be fired, but he may have done one of the most beneficial things ever for the Gopher Athletic program?

Just 3 years after a very controversial firing of what SOME thought to be a successful coach, and a very likable coach, who by all accounts was running a clean program, including TONS of negative vibes from the press and rest of the cbb fans of the nation(with the exception of Kentucky fans) because we so unfairly fired him???

Really?

THANK GOODNESS for Teague and that huge buyout then, for preventing one of the WORST FIRINGS EVER!!! At one of the worst times to fire someone, EVER.

man im so confused by all of this - tubby coaches at an aac school why did you bring him up at all dude

I would not be shocked at all if the Gophers did go on a run. That is something loads of coaches have done in the Tourney but he is very well compensated right now. The game changes if a run results in other schools throwing huge bucks his way and it will not be Indiana ,Illinois or NCST. Will someone like Clemson or Missouri double plus what they will pay. ANY elite job opened he would not be on their list and if he were then you could not keep him anyway. Stand pat, you have all the cards. MY feeling is he will do pretty well here, said all along they would make the tourney and now they are dangerous. Think if he wins a big ten title or two with superstar records of 16-2 you can not keep him anyway but what about a consistent level of always being near the top of the conference and making occasional runs and this simply being his lifetime work ! It can not be about the money if Louisvllie calls. they will always pay more. Let this play out and see who they can beat out of conference and see if they can win at UW , a team the Gophers are better than right now.

Top Bottom