We Hate Iowa, But Iowa Likes Fleck?

GopherBulldog

Reaction score
I know two guys that played for the Hawkeyes in the early 90s. One was a high school buddy, the other I've known for 10 years as we work for the same company. He's based in the Northeast and I'm in Atlanta so we only see each other two or three times a year. He knows I'm a Gopher and we've talked about his playing days at Iowa as he played with my high school friend. Gopher. Hawkeye. Yet, somehow, we get along. It's okay. When we get together the discussion inevitably transitions to Big Ten football as most of the crowd, we're based in Atlanta, tend to be SEC rubes. Yesterday we had a company event so he was in town. I'd not seen him since the Fleck hire. Immediately upon seeing me, he begins gushing about Fleck (and he does not tend to be an excitable guy). I'd never seen him so animated. His comments were basically:

- It's great for the Big Ten that Fleck landed at Minnesota
- As an ex player, he has a ton of respect for Fleck's background, philosophy and the way he coaches
- Fleck's energy and enthusiasm are genuine and will inject an energy into both Minnesota football and the Big Ten overall
- Though he's really happy with the hire for the Big Ten -- Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska should be very concerned as Fleck is going to disrupt the entire Big Ten West. Recruiting for them just got tougher than they've ever experienced.

This 10 minute discussion made me more excited about the future with Fleck than anything I've yet read or seen. Coming from an ex Iowa player and huge Hawkeyes backer, it could not have been a better endorsement. I hope he is right.

From reading the Iowa Football forum on Rivals, there seem to be two opinions, mirroring those on GH, although in diffenent proportions. One that finds his energized style exciting, and the other that finds it annoying and are skeptical. A lot more skeptics on the Iowa forum. The Iowa skeptics are usually staunch Ferentz supporters and those that like Fleck's energy, are more often critics of Ferentz as he has a much more subdued style. Too subdued for a fair number of Iowa fans.
If nothing else, it is going to be an interesting next few years in the B1G West.

I'd find it hard to dislike Fleck even if he were at Wisconsin. Just listening to him give an interview.....he comes off as extremely genuine. He's not afraid to speak about some of the tragedies he's gone through, how they've helped shape him as a person, and use them as motivation for his players. Really inspirational.

On a side note.....I don't hate Iowa......although I love the "Who Hates Iowa" chant. I just dislike them. But it's nowhere near the level of hatred I have for everything Badger.

On a side note.....I don't hate Iowa......although I love the "Who Hates Iowa" chant. I just dislike them. But it's nowhere near the level of hatred I have for everything Badger.

Good to see the coaching staff is acclimating quickly!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On most of the Iowa forums i've read, they were very jealous, especially about the passion that Fleck brings to recruiting which is something they believe Ferentz lacks energy in.

A lot of Nebraska fans are also jealous considering they had a somewhat underwhelming hire in Reilly, an old guy.

I'd say most Wisconsin fans think he'll be another Brewster though.

On most of the Iowa forums i've read, they were very jealous, especially about the passion that Fleck brings to recruiting which is something they believe Ferentz lacks energy in.

A lot of Nebraska fans are also jealous considering they had a somewhat underwhelming hire in Reilly, an old guy.

I'd say most Wisconsin fans think he'll be another Brewster though.

Wait a minute, 65 is the new 45

I'd find it hard to dislike Fleck even if he were at Wisconsin. Just listening to him give an interview.....he comes off as extremely genuine. He's not afraid to speak about some of the tragedies he's gone through, how they've helped shape him as a person, and use them as motivation for his players. Really inspirational.

Wow! We think alike.

Becky is all negative and insulting. They call him Pee-Wee Herman. I checked Buckyville the other day and they've 3 threads on him. What a bunch of degenerates.

Becky is all negative and insulting. They call him Pee-Wee Herman. I checked Buckyville the other day and they've 3 threads on him. What a bunch of degenerates.

I thought you said you never go there.

Huh...that's weird.

I saw one Iowa poster saying the Fleck will out recruit Ferentz every year.

+3. Count me in that group too.

Me too. I have WAY MORE hatred for WI than IA.

I think mainly because I work with and live by so many people from WI. (can't they find jobs in their own state?) Then I have to hear about the damn Packers all the time. This only fuels my hatred for everything WI football (college and pro).

I live in Atlanta also and I have a golfing buddy who is a Hawkeye. When I first met him years ago I said to him: 'the only pretty girls from Iowa, move out of Iowa!' He gave me a funny look and then told me that his wife is from Iowa. I looked back at him and said: 'YOU SEE!'

He and I don't communicate about basketball much but with football we do. He called me to talk about the Claeys firing and that whole mess. He hasn't called me back since the Fleck hire. I view that as significant enough reason to be excited about our new coach, not that we need any more reasons.

Top Bottom